iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone selling bundled wood?

Started by T Welsh, December 11, 2011, 07:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

We are in the process of building a bundler for selling shrink wrapped wood to stores, any body have any suggestions or thoughts about the process. We are bartering with the owner of the crane co we use for tree removals,I just cut him 5000 bf of poplar cribbing and he is making a shrink wrap machine of his own design in exchange. I have not seen it yet,but knowing him its going to be overkill. Its too late now to sell,but we will put them on pallets and package them for next year. Tim

r.man

From what I have read and what I know about production lines, more than many, less than some, you will need a way to quick load the wrapper so it doesn't become a choke point in your line. Hopefully your fabricator will allow for external loading frames to be dropped through the wrapper to get pre-loaded batches of firewood into the wrapper in one quick motion. I also like the idea of a wrapper that would do x number of rounds and then stop to allow a label to be put in and then finish the total rounds without the operator having to stand still controlling the machine. Fairly easy to do on the cheap if you can scrounge the components.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

T Welsh

I havent seen the machine yet but he was shown a clip of twisters and others,if it needs modified,its no problem :) I modify everything I own! we also thought of the slip in piece of paper telling customers where it came from and what we do 8). we have not come up with a simple way of the plastic handle on the bundle yet.I do not like the idea of buying plastic handles for all the bundles and stapling them on each one,but we will come up with something! maybe rope or nylon strapping! we are starting into our slow season and will be getting time to start processing firewood for next season. I would like to put all the wood on pallets for ease of handling! but wondering weather I should shrink wrap the bundles now! or wait until they are ready to go out and do it then. the problem with waiting is it falls right in at our busy time of the year with the tree service and we simply can not get around to playing with bundles! This is just another iron in the fire project for us. but I know with all the knowledge on the forum,its better to ask for help and see what works instead of trying this or that! Tim

stavebuyer

I have intentionally been sawing a "heavy" slab and palletizing the firewood. The pallets are 36"x72". I cut the wood 16" in lengths and put two stacks 36" tall X 60" long on the pallet which makes 1/3 of a cord. I am hoping to bundle some next season. I started palletzing for a couple reasons. First I have some dirt work and buidling to do and about anywhere I stack the wood its going to end up in the way. Second the wood should stay cleaner and should dry better stacked then piled. Third I am thinking about possibly building some type of kiln so I figure the labor savings in re-handling might outweigh the costs of palletizing.

T Welsh

Putting firewood on pallets seem,s to be catching on in our area! Some of our retail customers really like the idea of it and after he unloaded from our truck he dropped it right in front of his door to the store,he called about 4 days latter and asked for 4 more pallets ;D Tim

Thank You Sponsors!