iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Trees

Started by doctorb, December 09, 2011, 11:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

With all the foresters and loggers and millers and wood people here, I thought it would be interesting what type of tree this group decorated for Christmas.

Our neighbor grows a few rows of Christmas trees, and keeps them trim, replenishing them on a yearly basis.  He throws a little lunch party for neighbors and friends, and we cut our own tree.  It goes directly into our house and into water.  Drinks an incredible amount (I am talking about the tree, not the neighbors at the party. :D).  One year when we kept it up a long time, the tree started to sprout green shoots.  It thought it was springtime!  Usually a Douglas Fir but also an occasional Blue Spruce.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Due to all the allergies Stacy has, and now that I seemed to have grown into, we can't have a live tree in the house any more.  :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jim king

There is a severe shortage of pine trees here and it is plastic or nothing.  I would love to have just a real wreath to have the smell in the house but no such luck.

SwampDonkey

Over the years we've had about any evergreen my mother was in the mood for. :D White cedar, red pine, white (skunk) spruce, and of course balsam fir. I don't put up a tree or a light here by myself. There are lots of folks living around here that don't put up anything for Christmas at all. Spruce is about the worst in my experience as it dropped needles pretty quick, and yup we always watered the trees. Some people can't take the smell of white spruce, but I tell ya black spruce sure does smell nice, it's kind of a sweet smell. There are actually some wreath makers that use black spruce. Love the smell of our northern balsam to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kansas

There was a very interesting article in the Washington Post this morning about the real vs fake arguments. It also touched on the "Christmas tree tax" that never happened. It presented arguments both pro and con for both. But there was one argument that caught my eye. Most all fake Christmas trees are made in China. The real trees are nearly all grown here in the United States. That industry employs 100,000 full and part time people here. That kind of sells me on real trees. Here is the article if you want to read it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/the-green-debate-on-christmas-trees-fresh-vs-fake/2011/12/07/gIQAk3mLjO_story.html

I haven't put up a tree since the kids have been gone. I probably ought to; we have a bunch of Austrian pines that we planted at work for reasons long since forgotten. A few are still small enough that they would work.

SwampDonkey

Lots of Christmas trees up here to, I have a cousin who lives off Christmas tree sales and there is a big outfit nearby called Snokist (owned by the local Fox family) that sells a mighty pile of Christmas trees. When you factor in $50-$500 for a tree, depending on size, that's a lot of revenues. They employ a lot of people. They have thousands of acres.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

We put up a fake tree. We use to put a live tree up. But walking through a Christmas Tree Farm for an hour looking at 200 trees,getting it down to 20 trees,than wanting to know where a certain tree was,but can't find it now, than getting it home only to hear,If I would of noticed that bad spot I would not of got it, kinda took the fun out of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Sometimes we complain too much. My brother is the worst, nothing can satisfy it.  ;D :D

sprucebunny

I would love to make part of my land a Christmas tree farm. I'd work at it harder if I thought I could get $50 a tree ! There are millions of small balsam already.
I usually cut several and zip tie them together to look bushy and keep it on the porch outside the window. The birds like it and the squirrels chew the lights off !!! It stays there until March.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Rocky_Ranger

We always use a real tree and always will.  Running a Christmas tree farm back in the day helps keep the spirit.  Lots of hard work, in all kinds of weather, spraying lots of "stuff", but you couldn't help the feeling of seeing families torture themselves over finding the right tree.  Got a white fir this year - cut in the mountains of AZ. 8)
RETIRED!

Ron Wenrich

Went to Concolor fir this year.  In the past have had Doug fir and white pine.  We do the real tree as my wife still enjoys to decorate it, even though the kids are a little too old to really care too much.  It also supports a friend that has a tree farm. 

I thought about a tree farm when I bought the place, but ended up with goats instead.  Christmas trees and goats are not a good mix. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Roxie

We use an artificial tree for the same reason as Jeff, my son is allergic to pine. 
Say when

Magicman

Artificial tree, but she has Cedar, Holly, Camellias, and other greenery everywhere for decorations.  That plus the Summer outside plants that become inside plants during the Winter.

One of my favorite plants this time of year is the Red Maple that is just outside my window here in the sun room.  I did not take a picture of it this year, but it was really pretty, and it is not decorations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

Same as Jeff and Roxie, my wife is allergic.  Took me a while to get used to it when we first married but she is more important to me than a tree.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

isawlogs

I had cut one down a few years ago and the poor tree wasn't fat enough for quality control  ::)  Now, they come all tied up and she gets a suprise, I have peace.  smiley_peace   ;D   

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

We've had fake trees for several years.  More convenient and we aren't sweeping up evergreen needles for the next six months  :)  We've been through a couple of the fake ones.  The days following Christmas they can be had for cheap  ;D  We bought a $120.00 self lit tree a year ago for 15 bucks.  Ya, it's made in China  :(
  We always had real trees when I was growing up.  Usually they were wild trees.  Some were Charlie Brown Specials but they were the best when the decorating was done  8) 8) 8)  I remember going on tree hunts via snowmobile, Jeep, Ramcharger, and Massey Ferguson.  Other times Dad would keep an eye out for a potential candidate in the ROW of his plow route and would drop it off when he stopped at home for lunch with the county truck  ;D :)   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DeepWoods

Prior to moving, my Wife and I rarely put up a tree at Christmas.  Both of us working for Target for thirty years kinda had Christmas shoved down our throats each year starting in September.  Now that we are retired, and have our pick from 140 + acres, we put up a fresh cut Balsam. 
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Den Socling

I read recently that you need to beware of those fake trees. The plastic releases toxic chemicals into the air. The older they get, the worse they get. And you know how well the Chinese do with environmental protection.

D Hagens

I don't believe in hacking down a tree for my own personal selfish benefits which last but all of one day a year. I'd rather watch that tree flourish in the forest that I hike in, me thinks that would give me more smiles over the years :) :)
I think the x-mas tree screen saver on the big tv works better 8)

Coon

We used to sell Christmas trees a few years ago but the market for them is pretty tied up by the Scouts and such as they are their major fund raisers for the year.
What we did for Christmas trees was to go to the bush and select our back spruce that would make nice saw logs.... we would take the tops of the nice ones for Christmas trees.  Of course we would climb the trees with a saw and a rope, tie the rope just above where you were going to cut it off, then cut it and lower it down.   ;D  By the end of the day you would look like you were in an hour long fight with a cat, with that many scratches up your arm and all over your face.   But it was worth it.   :D  gramps helped us make lots of money.   ;D    With the trees on the ground we would take the roll of baler twine and wrap the trees up and take them to town for our sale.  We sold Christmas trees and hot chocolate made over a small campfire.   ;D

Cutting the Christmas trees in this manner utilized more of the tree.  Later on in the winter the trees would be then felled and skidded out for sawlogs and firewood. 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Roxie

I don't know where the idea originated that artificial trees are only made in China, but mine is a Mountain King, and made in the USA. 
Say when

SwampDonkey

I don't mind cut'n them, I cut them down by the thousands with a brush saw. ;D

SwampDonkey

The Christmas Mountain tree stand is made near here and if you buy one, you'll never need to replace it. It's a solid stand. That kinda hurts local sales to, never need another. Those Chinese aren't stupid when they make and ship junk over here. ;)

Walmart this year anyway, here in Canada is selling mostly US made lights and glass bulbs. Don't go looking for cheap. ;)

sawguy21

We loved going to a farm owned by family friends looking for the perfect tree. Dad cut it, dragged it to the road, then we went to the farm house for hot chocolate. I am sure the adults enjoyed something in keeping with the Christmas spirit. :D
When I was on my own, I never bothered with a tree. In fact never bothered much with Christmas. It was something to be endured. Sure different now I have a family. Picked up the 7 and 5 year old grand daughters this morning, they are busy helping grandma set up and decorate the artificial tree. We don't have room for the real thing and disposal is difficult here with all the enviro nonsense.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

We generally select a Balsam off the lot!

It might be only for a day, but then a chicken or turkey is only for a half hour meal!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Patty

We started the tree cutting tradition when our boys were little. I would bundle them up and drag them off to the tree farm, where they suffered hour after hour while mom looked for the perfect tree.  :)    The three of us would take turns sawing until the tree came down, then we would have to drag it for miles it seemed to the little cabin for payment. Norm was always home waiting with a chainsaw (I was not capable of picking a tree smaller than 20' tall.  ::)  )  to trim it down when we arrived. After trimming, it would take all four of us pushing and pulling to squeeze it into the house, and then the rest of the day trying to put it up.  :D   Ladders, 50# weights, and a few choice words, and finally it would be erect enough for lights and ornaments.

I have finally scaled back to a 9' tree, and the boys aren't too keen on going with me anymore. One even went so far as to buy a tree-in-a-box for his house.  :o   I guess I scarred him for life! 

The past two years I have not had the energy to shame anyone into going with me, so I just pick a pretty cut tree from the farm and am on my way in 10 minutes. Norm is still waiting for me with chainsaw in hand, and with the tiny tree, it only takes 1 ladder, 2 25# weights and 2 of us pushing and pulling to get it into the house and decorated.  :D

When the tree-bucket leaked water all over the cherry wood floor yesterday, I declared we would go tree-in-a-box next year. But I may change my mind be the time December rolls around again.

I love traditions, and hang onto them long after the thrill is gone for most of the family. I just can't seem to let them go.....
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Autocar

When I was a kid mom and dad use to buy live trees and plant them the day after Christmas it's still fun to drive by the home place nd remember the good times. Then some years we go back to the woods and cut a red ceadr and us kids would pop pop corn and thread it on a string and wrap it around the tree. Then when mom took it down the birds would eat the pop corn till it was gone. But now with know children and just her and I we don't do to much but I still enjoy a Christmas tree in the evenings with all the lights on. By the way Merry Christmas everyone !
Bill

old joe

live small erc dug up locally and then planted along the drive

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

WDH

For the last 35 years, I have cut a wild eastern redcedar.  I have one already picked out for this year that I will procure in the morning.  A tradition.  One of the best home movies that we have was made 23 years ago where my two young daughters at the time, 4 years old and 1 year old, went with me to cut a wild cedar.  Traditions are important.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

I was fifty years old before I discovered that the actual name of ERC was not Christmas Tree. We always went out on the farm and found a small ERC for a Christmas tree. The hardest thing was finding a tree with one bad side to put against the wall. But, sadly now with the children grown and moved far away we have a tree in a box. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

Growing up, my Granddad would always have a "fence row" ERC picked out for our Christmas tree.  Fence row trees were always used because they would be bushier and fuller. 

It was always a big production to go and cut that tree.  Those were memorable times.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

My dad and grand father used to cut a lot of spruce/balsam pulp, as they would be cutting these they would be on the look out for the best lookin' top to bring to the house as the Christmas tree. Some times they where on the lean side , some times they was on the fat side , but they all ended with beauty after they where dressed up.
They where dragged back home with the horse , so there was never an issue about looking for a bad side  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

fishpharmer

When the kids were small we cut a tree at the local Christmas tree farm. Have had several different species over the years.  Last few years life has gotten in the way of that tradition.  We bought a cut tree from the local buiding supply this year and last.  I have been going for a record short time picking out a tree.  Last two years, bought first tree we looked at.  My wife trusts my judgement ;).  We put the extra time in decorating to cover the flaws.  (helps that tree is always put up in a corner) ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bill m

I always try to find a tree taller than I need. Then when I get it home and cut it to the correct height I use the lower branches to fill in any thin spots. Just drill a hole in the trunk and stick the branch in. After it is decorated no one can tell the difference.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Jeff on December 10, 2011, 12:09:45 AM
Due to all the allergies Stacy has, and now that I seemed to have grown into, we can't have a live tree in the house any more.  :-\

DanG, Boss, I thought once you cut it the thing waz dead...

Herb

Den Socling

Wow Roxie! Those Mountain Kings are premium artificial trees. Prices up to $2000!
http://www.artificialchristmastreesonline.com/artificialspecialtychristmastrees/artificial_christmas_trees_mountain_king.html
Looks like they are still made in the USA.

Jeff

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on December 11, 2011, 10:07:42 AM
Quote from: Jeff on December 10, 2011, 12:09:45 AM

DanG, Boss, I thought once you cut it the thing waz dead...

Herb

You'd think :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

Den, my Mountain King is over twenty five years and still beautiful.  When you factor the cost versus the years of use, mine paid for itself long, long ago.  The fact that I can have a beautiful tree AND my son doesn't go into respiratory distress...priceless. 

Say when

scgargoyle

I've always had a real tree, and probably always will. If we ever get to the point that it's too much bother, than we won't have a tree at all. I'm hoping to grow my own once we're on our SC property. Rather than a fake tree that looks like a real one, I've often thought about making one of thin panels that fold more or less flat when not in use. Maybe 6 or so panels when 'fluffed out'. It would simple hang on the wall, with hooks or loops for ornaments and lights.

One day? We have our tree up for 3-4 weeks, from mid-December to after New Year's. Oddly enough, here in FL, with no heat needed, the air is moister, and a tree actually lasts longer than it would in a cold climate with the heat drying it out so much.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

red oaks lumber

we go with a real tree,  the saturday after thanksgiving we always put it up leave it till after newyears
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

We put our ERC up today.  I have a few stickers that I need to remove from my hands  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I bought one on Thursday and its still out in da snow bank  ::)   

Marcel

Radar67

Due to time, we bought a tree this evening. This is the first real tree we've had in over 20 years. The last one was in Germany. These things have gotten expensive. I saw several on the lot going for $150-$200. We selected a smaller one and this will be the first year our daughters will be able to decorate a real one. I hope it is a tradition we can continue. Time to plant some ERC on my place I think.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

scsmith42

We've been using real trees for the past 10 years.  Two years ago, I started cutting trees off of our farm.  They are SYP, so they are not as nice and bushy as the more traditional species, but after it's decorated it comes out nice.

This year's tree is a 16 footer; I like the way that it fills up the windows in the front of the house, but it's a bit of a stretch decorating it!

I need to plant something on the farm for future use that will have a better shape; just haven't gotten the old "round tuit"
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Rocky_Ranger

One of the most beautiful Christmas trees out there is a Loblolly pine.  You need to plant and shape them as they grow - and not all will fill in, but most (60% or so) will.  Find some "Greenzit" colorant and "ka-pow", a beautiful tree will long soft needles, nicely shaped.  Keep your inter-nodal distance 8 - 10" on your apical bud and that will trigger thickness.  Plant in full sun too....    Lobs will be 8' + tall in 4 years, even with shaping.
RETIRED!

chevytaHOE5674

Have a 20 acre pasture that is overgrown and full of white spruce's. So every year I knock one down and put it up in the living room. Someday the pasture will run out of trees, but then I'll be able to make it into a nice hay field.

scsmith42

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on December 12, 2011, 07:34:49 AM
One of the most beautiful Christmas trees out there is a Loblolly pine.  You need to plant and shape them as they grow - and not all will fill in, but most (60% or so) will.  Find some "Greenzit" colorant and "ka-pow", a beautiful tree will long soft needles, nicely shaped.  Keep your inter-nodal distance 8 - 10" on your apical bud and that will trigger thickness.  Plant in full sun too....    Lobs will be 8' + tall in 4 years, even with shaping.

Rocky, that's what I've been cutting, but I have not taken the time to shape them.  I'll find some saplings and try this.  Thanks! 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 12, 2011, 08:34:09 AM
Someday the pasture will run out of trees, but then I'll be able to make it into a nice hay field.

Trouble is, the pasture keeps seeding in, if it's like around here.  ;D :D

Burlkraft

Whatever the neighbor planted and is the right size  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Piston

We wanted to cut down our own this year but couldn't find one she was happy with.  We bought a tree (which I hate doing) and set it up (which I love doing). 

However, we did go for a walk in the woods to collect a bunch of balsam fir and white pine cuttings for the three window boxes.  She arranged them all and put a red bow in each one.  She got her fix for decorating and being creative, and I got my fix for cutting something down and using it around the house.  Win win.

Merry Christmas everyone.
;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Ken

I may be a little biased as I live in an area with hundreds of acres in Christmas tree farms but as far as I am concerned if you put up a plastic or artificial tree at Christmas you should have to eat plastic turkey.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

LeeB

I'm mostly a bah humbug type, but Lindy lovves having a tree, so we buy one every year. We used to buy trees that could be replanted, but I haven't found any of those around here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Ken,you come to my place and we'll take the wife to a tree farm and I'll let you walk around with her for a few hours and than let her try to find the tree she really like about 1 1/2 hours ago,but can't remember where that tree was,but she knows where it was and than get home and complain about and than I have allergies to the tree too.  :(   Than we'll see about that plastic turkey.  ;D We all have our reasons why we do things a certain way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I think Ken is just like most folks who have no ill effects from trees, just supporting the local tree growers. ;D An hour and a half walk, that ain't nothing to complain about. What's the hurry? People will always find a negative, when they go looking for it. :D

thecfarm

I can spend all day walking around in the woods,but not looking for a Christmas. You will have to try it with your wife when you get married and than see if you like it each and every year.  :(   I get real tired of it. Patience is not something that I was born with,when it comes to certain things.
And than to feel all plugged up and eyes burning and itching all day and night too.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 12, 2011, 10:48:03 AMTrouble is, the pasture keeps seeding in, if it's like around here.  ;D :D

Yep, for every Christmas tree or two I cut down every year about 12 more seedlings pop up. Some of them get mowed down and some trampled by the cows. But for the most part its a never ending cycle of spruce trees.

Magicman

thecfarm, you got a nice saw to fell it with.   ;D   :D

thecfarm

Yes I do have a nice saw to cut it down with. It's working out very good for me.Now if I could win a nice peavey to go with it or even some of that Blue Creeper stuff.

metalspinner

We went with an artificial tree a few years ago.  Real trees just got too expensive.

I've been contemplating just sliding the decorated tree into the hall closet come January 1st. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ken

Sorry.  I didn't mean to offend anyone when I indicated that people should eat plastic turkey if they have a plastic X-mas tree  :-X.  I've done a bit of work on tree farms before and see how hard those farmers work for very little return and just like to see them rewarded.   Didn't take into consideration that some people may be allergic to real trees in their house. 

Hope everyone has a joyous season with or without a traditional tree in their house. 

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WDH

Quote from: metalspinner on December 15, 2011, 07:34:58 PM
I've been contemplating just sliding the decorated tree into the hall closet come January 1st. :D

Just put it on the porch.  It will go with the other lights that you never take down (because you are from the South  :D).

Just kidding........the closet will work fine  :).

SwampDonkey

If that's the case, the south has moved further north because I see a lot of lights left on houses and outside yard trees year 'round. ;D  :D ;)

Piston

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 15, 2011, 08:56:31 PM
If that's the case, the south has moved further north because I see a lot of lights left on houses and outside yard trees year 'round. ;D  :D ;)

HEY!  When did you drive by my house?  You should have stopped in for a beer.   :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SamB

Fraser Fir for the last 15 years, no protective clothing required and easy clean up :)

JV

When I was a little boy, we would find and cut a tall ERC from a fencerow and drag it to the house.  As I got older we bought trees especially when the ERC became scarce.  My wife and I bought trees when the boys were little and then decided to buy balled trees, usually Fraser Fir and plant them after Christmas.  The first one is now 25 or 30' tall and a beautiful tree.  Now that the boys are grown and out on their own, we have a small plastic tree that sits on a stand.  When our grandsons get a little older, I would like to take them out and once more cut a sticky ERC down and decorate it for old times sake.   :)
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

WDH

Sticky is right, but hey, it is worth it. 

red oaks lumber

after christmas my wife and i drive around our local town picking up real trees that people put out at the curb. my pygmie goats love eating the needles and bark off them. least for a few weeks their burps smell piney :D

SwampDonkey

Must be slim pickens if they gotta eat fir bark and needles. A moose will hold up in a  fir thicket over the winter when the snow is deep and eat branches. In the spring time it's like a manure pile in there. It's poor stuff to live on. :D

thecfarm

red oak,it's just like candy to them isn't it. I use to rake up leaves and bag them for ours and give them a few handfuls all through the winter. They would really go for the leaves.

red oaks lumber

they just go nuts for it, the thing is they get plenty of food so its not like they are starving.in 1 day all thats left of the tree is a clean striped carsass  no needles or bark :D

thecfarm

Like I use to say,just like fish bones. I cut a bunch of limbs that was hanging over into the field,red oak,ash,maple. I only did a little at a time and I would give them to the goats. They would see me coming with the limbs and just start jumping around. I would have to throw a few in off to the side so they would leave me alone so I could bring in the rest of the limbs. Those limbs would keep them busy for hours. I have a grown up pasture that I am claiming back,they loved to get in there and clean up the bushes growing.Anything green this time of year they really like.

red oaks lumber

still have my real tree standing, still drinking water and not really dropping needles yet. i love the looks of a christmas tree :)

bandmiller2

We still do real,when the kids were young used to load them in my woods trailer with tractor and go under the highlines for a white pine.Never felt guilty cutting them as the power co. wacks them all when they get much over 8'.Had one of those frasier's this year the most perfect little tree I've ever seen.Hunted with down Mainers most of them had woodlots and thousands of trees but would sneek into a neighbors lot for a tree. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!