iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Debarker

Started by simplicityguy92, December 09, 2011, 10:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simplicityguy92

any body ever build or see a home built log debarker? ive heard of them being built out of old car rear ends with chains welded to the wheel and a fence post or small log is held up to it and the chains nock the bark off

pineywoods

One summer when I was in high school, I got a job peeling pine fence posts which were then pressure treated. Use a gooseneck hoe with the neck heated and straightened. Got 5 cents a post. Job ended when the boss built a peeler like you are talking about. Ford truck rear end with the spider gears welded. 18 hp onan v-belt coupled to the pinion. Wide rim mounted on the end of the axle. Pieces of ice chain welded across the rim, loose enough to flop around. The Dang thing worked well enough to put me out of a job, but if the chains hung on a knot, the operator was in for a wild time. Haven't seen one in decades, OSHA would have a hissie fit...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

simplicityguy92

i wonder how a rig would woork on western red cedar ? im not worried about anybody qestionin the saftey of it as im the only one running it

simplicityguy92

you wouldnt happen to have a picture of that rig would u?

Thank You Sponsors!