iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my log arch with pics

Started by kevinlt15, December 09, 2011, 12:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinlt15

well here I amlooking at all the homeade arches and thought I would try building one.I had the axels,tires an hubs some of the steel needed so it should be low cost.  well I got 75 bucks in to the added steel and 40 in to the other stuff.

since my arch was old boat trailer supports Ihad to notch around the tubing

you ever notice the only weld posted are nice ones :D ;D

well this is where it is  it needs A reciever hitch(where i am goin next) And A wench-lifting design. A ny one got any ideas ??? 

DeepWoods

Try starting here. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49642.0.html
I built my arch last spring and have used it several times since it was completed.  I find it works well, and am very glad that I took my time with it and used information from this forum to gain ideas from other members.  If you have any questions  pm me.  Looks like you are off to a good start  8)
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

losttheplot

I mounted the winch on the vertical post above the wheel.
The cable goes under the log and gets hooked onto the other side of the arch.
This does away with the need for a block hanging down, and allows the log to be winched right up tight to the top of the arch.
The diagonal braces, from the arch to the backbone, hold the log in plaice.

The winch is closer when your working at getting the cable under the log.
If you put a bigger mounting plate on the post you can put the winch on the inside. There it is more protected.

However big you build it, its never big enough.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

kevinlt15

I like that idea of puting it there. now to figure out how to use the winch to lift one end of the log up and chain it,  then lift the other end and secure it.

Can you haul that arch down the road loaded Losttheplot?

Slingshot

You just need you a big dog to jump up on the rear end for
a counterweight.  smiley_bounce

------------------------
sling_shot

losttheplot

Quote from: kevinlt15 on December 09, 2011, 09:28:02 PM
I like that idea of puting it there. now to figure out how to use the winch to lift one end of the log up and chain it,  then lift the other end and secure it.

After a couple of logs its pretty easy to guesstimate the balance point of the log.
If its butt heavy the front hits the back bone then the butt comes up off the ground.
If its front heavy I just put a bit of rope around it to keep it off the ground.

The winch behind the arch can make it light on the tongue. Next time I will put the hooks for the cable on the front of the arch, that way the center of gravity would be in the center of the arch.

Yes I can haul it down the road......but the dog gets a bit freaked out  :D

We are off the radar here so as long as no one gets hurt............ If that's what your asking

I hung a chain, from the extra hook points on the arch, then backed off the winch. But I dont bother anymore. I am going to put safety chains on the hitch though.

If you haven't already I recommend watching the log-rite  videos on their site.

JP135

Old Hilly

(quote)
"DOG-wood tree?
...sorry. Couldn't help myself."

Certainly is, you can tell from it's "bark". :-[
[It gets worse, don't worry!]

thecfarm

Kevin,what are you going to pull that with?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kevinlt15

Well I hope to pull it with A 4wheeler, tractor, 1010 crawler,truck, and 2 young boys :D ;D.
thanks for the heads up on logrite 

bill m

Quote from: kevinlt15 on December 10, 2011, 06:11:39 PM
Well I hope to pull it with A 4wheeler, tractor, 1010 crawler,truck, and 2 young boys :D ;D.
thanks for the heads up on logrite 
In that exact order or one at a time? ;D
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Magicman

When you are pulling something that is heavier that what your are pulling with, things can get dicey and even dangerous, especially going downhill.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

I know most are using arches to keep the logs clean but in the case of a large log, a steep hill and a machine that is outweighed the log could be let down on the back to provide braking and stability.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

kevinlt15

Oh ya I know I need to be aware of the weight of my load compaired to what I am hauling it with.
I have got nothing But hills, and now with snow on the ground I have got little to no traction.

hopefully this week I can try it out. ;D

mrcaptainbob

One of the biggest dog logs I've ever seen!How much does that weigh? The arch and tires don't appear to be over worked at all....

losttheplot

26 inch average diameter x 12ft doug fir = 1600lbs  plus 60lbs for the dog.

I have had pretty close to 2000lbs on it.

The spindles are 2000lbs with 13inch trailer tyres.

I think the legal limit for a trailer with no brakes is around 2000lbs and I pull it with a full size 3/4 ton truck. Traction would be the weakest link.

All the weight is straight down through the arch.
If the wheels get caught on a stump etc... the back bone will flex.
I used 2.5 x 2.5 x 1/4inch steel. I would go with something heavier for the back bone next time.
I may get around to making the back bone into a truss one day.

kevinlt15

Hey Bill M.  I use the 4wheeler until it snows, then the tractor till it's deep snow, then the crawler, after that when it is colder than
A @#$%@!^&& well you know thats when we bundle my boys up like  the little brother in A christmas story to help out.   

Just kiding  :D ;D 8)   Mery Christmas everyone You are all like brothers and sisters to me :'(

Thank You Sponsors!