iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Video Games

Started by Raider Bill, December 09, 2011, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I find myself having to buy someone a Video game set up for Christmas. :-\

I know nothing about them. I see Xbox, Nintendo, Wii, 360....

What's the best one? I remember Jeff had a Wii with the fit package. That might work in this case but is there anything hidden like you have to get a certain console then extra packages?

Any suggestions?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

KBforester

I can't really help, but I know a lot of [lazy] folks my age like video games... and they are very particular about what kind they like  ::)

Is there any way you can find out what their preference is?
Trees are good.

Raider Bill

About the only thing I'm being told is she wants a exerciser interface or component. This is a whole new thing for me, plus I hate shopping. Just got back from Target, got frustrated and left. I may just buy her a bicycle and say go peddle your .....   ;)
I generally try to be single around X-Mas to cut this shopping crap out. Oh well I have a few weeks left so maybe I'll just wait. This maybe a moot point by then.  ;D

BrothersMule

Which console to go with really depends on the person and what they plan to use it for. If she is wanting something with a fitness game then the Wii or Xbox will be the way to go. Probably the best all around console is the Xbox. I have the Wii with the fitness game and it does not get used much anymore. Wife loved it for a while and then moved on i guess. It is a good console to get a group of people of all ages together and play. The Wii is the most interactive of the two. The Xbox now has the motion detection games that you play with out the controller which is neat but i have never actually played. Kind of the same as the Wii  just more advanced with no controller. (This option is sold separately)

Any unit you buy will come with a couple basic games but the fitness games you speak of usually come separately unless you find a package offer. I think the Xbox is more expensive but you can do a little more with it I.E. Blue Ray DVD player, Internet browse, regular games and motion detection and then some. The Wii will work the internet some too but no Blue Ray player.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions ill be glad to help if i can. Im not a big GAMER so to say but growing up i always had one for the rainy days and in college everybody seemed to have one or the other.
I know some people who are big in to gaming and it seems the Xbox gets more praise then the others. As a kid the outdoors always seemed to be more fun the video games only kept my attention for an hour or so and i was ready get dirty again.

Raider Bill

I live on a 47 mile rails to trails exercise run walk jog route and a lake that has stations to work out all along it. There's also a golf course across the street. My comment that maybe she should get out and walk/jog/or even walk the golf course instead of renting a cart didn't go over well last night at all ::) [ I don't golf] I also suggested she try speed swimming in the lake with the gators giving her incentive to swim faster which will help with cardio and endurance, just trying to be helpful.....
I may yet get out buying this present yet..... :D

She asked me what I wanted so I said a 2012 Harley Road King. Hope I get it. 8)

So it looks like Play Station is out, Wii and Xbox being left....

Wii and Xbox both have exercise modules, even yoga mats that somehow connect to the machine..... How does that work? Jeesch

Personally I think my money's better spent on that Savage bench rest 7mm SAUM I got my eye on. At least with that I could shoot that fat red suited guy riding the sled that causes all this Christmas crap. ;D

Thanks Doug, Furby and Brothersmule for the advise. I actually know less about video games than I do forestry which is dismal at best.

Norm

Bill it is no longer a mystery to me why your still single.  :D

customsawyer

Go to a yard sale and get her an Atari. She can get her exercise by toting it out to the trash or a pawn shop. ;D I bet she won't ask for another video game. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

thecfarm

Some golf courses you HAVE to rent a cart. They want to keep the crowd moving to get more through.
That Xbox looks good.But have never been around one. We have a Wii. Have to buy batteries for the remotes. We have four remotes,at maybe $25 each. Wife has the WiiFit,I have car racing,lumberjack.We have a bunch of rockband games and karaoke games.We have Wii parties. We buy most of our games from the used section.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I have a Play Station 3, but it's for DVD and Blu-ray because all the cheap stuff breaks down in 2 or 3 months. I do have one game that I have had for 4 years and that's it. I get my exercise outside not in an armchair or in the middle of the floor.

I know what she needs, like all our mothers around here 30 years ago had to have one of those exercise ropes with pullies. The performances I've witnessed are scary. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 11, 2011, 06:05:09 AMI know what she needs, like all our mothers around here 30 years ago had to have one of those exercise ropes with pullies. The performances I've witnessed are scary. :D

Just a wee bit too much information there Donk!  :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Come on now, I held back the details Patty.  ;D ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shinnlinger

my only direct experince was a few years ago one of m my students couldn't believe I has never played halo and brought in his old first gen x box for me to borrow.  Crazy first person shooter game
My understanding is xbox and playstation are more male adult oriented and the WII is more family oriented
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Corley5

Zach has an X Box which he never uses  8) 8)  Had to have it ::)  Has the Kinect with it too.  I'm glad he doesn't use it.  I was against the purchase but Mom and Grammy caved  :-X  He does play his Nintendo DS on occasion and now wants a DS 3d.  Not gonna happen this year.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Raider Bill

Quote from: Patty on December 11, 2011, 06:39:16 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 11, 2011, 06:05:09 AMI know what she needs, like all our mothers around here 30 years ago had to have one of those exercise ropes with pullies. The performances I've witnessed are scary. :D

Just a wee bit too much information there Donk!  :o

Hmmmmmmm I'm not picturing this. How does it work?

Quote from: Norm on December 10, 2011, 02:11:40 PM
Bill it is no longer a mystery to me why your still single.  :D

Actually I can never seem to figure out why myself. With my good looks, charming personality and sparkling wit...... 8)

I've never been into Video games so I'm thinking I should get her something we could both enjoy like a Victoria Secret Gift card. :)

Raider Bill

This gets worse..... She just said we can put the video game in the family room..... I casually mentioned I didn't have a family room. The response to that was well..... you DO have a extra room.  What!!! I say you mean the 900 sq ft room with the big screen, stage, bar and beer fridge? That's my sports, guy, hang out room!!
Her, You have a big screen in the other room with the fireplace why do you need 2?,
Me, that's  my theater room.
Her, why can't you watch sports there?

jeesch.

Norm

Bill before I make any comments on your last post I need to see a picture of your new friend.  ;D

Raider Bill

I had to drag her away from cooking Sunday dinner for my Son, Grand daughter and I to take this picture. Hope the oatmeal raisin cookies don't burn.. :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Norm

Ok family room it is!  ;D

Raider Bill

She asked me who Norm was.

I said Norm is married to a wonderful Lady who asks for cool things like bull dozers and kegulators, why can't you be more like that? ;D

Dinner may be late. :D

Norm

Once again Bill it's no mystery to me why you're single after all these years.  :D

Patty's upstairs making me some new sweat pants because I hate the ones you buy at the stores. I insisted they have pockets in them. She's now sewn them and torn them out 3 times. I keep thinking there's a group of marines up there by the language I'm hearing.  :D

Me I'm supposed to be bringing meat in from our deer season that's on and here I am goofing off instead. I think I'll go sit on the back patio with my gun and the laptop.  ;)

Mooseherder

Bill,   Get her a clothesline.   A long one with a pulley on da udder end so she can exercise her upper body. ;D

rbhunter

Ok I am curious. Is there still a need to get a video game for Christmas??

I would have to say you may have to learn about video games for the new family room. If it is like our video game you may have the room back in time for the Final Four. I could also suggest maybe a treadmill in front of the big screen TV for something that may get continued use. I think I got this idea from one of Patty's posts. I have tried it and like it.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Roxie

There are positives to these games.  My sons live 200 miles apart, but at least once a week, they get on the phone and hook up to a game on their X-Box, and bomb and shoot each other as they solve all the problems of the world, after they have put the children to bed. 

Neither one of them would normally spend an hour on the phone, but if they are playing against each other, the laughter and conversation flows. 

They both have Wii's also, and the skateboarding game gives the kids as much exercise as if they were out on the sidewalk.  It's fun to watch them jump, lean and maneuver through the course. 

Now all I can say is Bill...Bill...Bill.   :D

Say when

Raider Bill

Quote from: rbhunter on December 11, 2011, 08:06:44 PM
Ok I am curious. Is there still a need to get a video game for Christmas??

I would have to say you may have to learn about video games for the new family room. If it is like our video game you may have the room back in time for the Final Four. I could also suggest maybe a treadmill in front of the big screen TV for something that may get continued use. I think I got this idea from one of Patty's posts. I have tried it and like it.

Yep it appears I'm not getting out of this game buying jam I'm in [although I'm still thinking Victoria Secret gift card..] I have one of those elliptical exercise things a tenant left in one of my rentals in storage. I suggested last night that we drag that out so she can use it and I can put the money I save into towards the above gift card. No dice :(

Personally I ride a bike for exercise. If I really feel the need for a work out I ride the one with a kick start.

Mooseherder, For unknown reasons I sometimes find my self single and unable to find someone to do the laundry so I already have a gas dryer.

I asked my Son [31] about games yesterday. He's suggesting the xbox 360 with the Kenitc module not so much for me but he is more thinking that when I don't need it anymore he will get it and wants the best.

Things have sure advanced since Pac Man and space invaders.....

Norm, Bull Dozer, kegulator and she sews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Tell me about her Sisters??????

Radar67

Bill, let's look at the facts here.
1. She wants you to get a video game which can run an exercise game.
2. She wants to convert your man cave to a family room.
3. She appears to be a good cook from your comments.
4. She does not appear to have a weight problem.  ;)

My conclusion is the video game is for you to shed some of those extra pounds she plans on you gaining from her cooking, while hanging out in y'all's new family room. Should you comply and loose said weight, she may very well oblige you with your wish from Victoria's Secret. ;)

Also, the line may be taunt, but the set has not been completed. Comprende? ;D :D :D :D :D :D

By the way, tell the missus to be I said "Hello!"  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Norm

Bill believe me I got the pick of the litter.  :D

AvT

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 11, 2011, 03:24:07 PM
I had to drag her away from cooking Sunday dinner for my Son, Grand daughter and I to take this picture. Hope the oatmeal raisin cookies don't burn.. :D :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

All I can say Bill is get her whattheeverhell what she wants!!!!!
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Don_Papenburg

Hey Bill , instead of all that hiteck crap that runs up your electric bill and fouls the earth with run down batteries .Go low teck .  Hiclass shiney  brass pole on the stage in your new family  /beer drinking/ guy hang out / big screen TV room. Them brass poles keep a gal in shape real good .  I have been to a few places that have them for public viewing, never saw a gal that was not in good shape using the pole.     
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

WH_Conley

That's pretty smart thinking. Your buddies can leave tips to cover the electric for the TV.
Bill

Raider Bill

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on December 12, 2011, 09:40:44 PM
Hey Bill , instead of all that hiteck crap that runs up your electric bill and fouls the earth with run down batteries .Go low teck .  Hiclass shiney  brass pole on the stage in your new family  /beer drinking/ guy hang out / big screen TV room. Them brass poles keep a gal in shape real good .  I have been to a few places that have them for public viewing, never saw a gal that was not in good shape using the pole.     

Well to tell you the truth that's why there's a stage already there :D A EX INSISTED I take the pole down and the pool table out. Hind sight I should have left the pole up. [ I don't miss the pool table] Besides I went all the way and used stainless steel pipe. That cut down on maintenance and brasso ;D She said she was curing me from my neanderthal ways :o So here I go again.....

Pretty much my whole house is a Man Cave. I'm a single Guy, no flowers or doilies on the table here.

Radar, I'm also thinking this is a trap. She really doesn't need to lose any weight but I guess I could stand to lose 3-30 lbs musteat_1 smiley_beertoast

Norm, My favorite ex is a Iowa Girl, she's the one that got away..... and also the one that made me take down the pole.

I'm going to try Target again today and look at xbox with the keneit add on. Looks like this has the most versatility  Maybe I'll get a rock star karaoke module so I can learn sing for you guys next pig roast! smiley_guitarist

Raider Bill

I just bought the Xbox with "Kenict" or whatever it is. 250 GB and 2 workout tape, cd things. It doesn't come with a foot pad or controllers. Somehow it senses your feet and hands...I dunno modern technology. The freebie was Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
I suspect this is going to be one of those gifts that gets used a couple times then put in the closet....

Radar67

When you put it in the closet, holler!
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

DouginUtah

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 10, 2011, 12:10:46 PM
She asked me what I wanted so I said a 2012 Harley Road King. Hope I get it. 8)

Did you?  :D  :D  :D  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Raider Bill

Nope...... DANG IT! I really wanted one too!

Well she loves the Xbox and I like the Victoria Secret gift card I got her so it's a win win. ;D ;D

Actually this game console is pretty amazing or at least to someone like me that never played them before.

It scans your body as you move around so you do not need wires or controllers. So far I've watched them play kickball, dodge ball, and go white water rafting. It's quite a show. ;)
She got a work out video which she's been using in the  mornings instead of  her normal running and yoga. Like Jeff's WII it weighs you and keeps a journal as to all your accomplishments. There's also a personal trainer  [John] who works along side yelling encouragement, menu and food suggestions.
This sure ain't pac man ;D

semologger

I dont have the xbox but i have the PS3 and Wii.  The wii has colected lots of dust but i play the PS3 all the time. Sometimes to much she says. I like the PS3 cause its internet and movies. Netflix streams on it. The same for the xbox. I never can seem to get movies back in town in time so it saves me lots of money. With 4 kids It also keeps them busy. Ive always been big in video games though.

Thank You Sponsors!