iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ouch

Started by jim king, December 09, 2011, 09:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

From the Mpls newspaper today:

DENVER - Jon Hutt was doing logging work all alone in a Colorado forest when his 6-ton trailer fell onto his right foot.

The pain was excruciating, no one was around to hear his cries for help and he couldn't free himself from the big piece of equipment. So he pulled out his 3-inch pocket knife and cut off his toes to get free.

"It hurt so bad," the 61-year-old Hutt said, "I would cut for a while, and then I had to rest."

Hutt then climbed into his semitrailer truck, his foot wrapped in a shirt, and began driving for help.

His ordeal was first reported in the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel.

Hutt, who runs a crane business and does logging "for fun," had gone into the woods by himself on Aug. 19 to retrieve a pile of fallen aspen trees to cut for winter firewood. The trailer that was attached to his truck slipped and landed on his foot.

The wiry, 180-pound man told the Associated Press that he began cutting off his toes about 30 minutes later when he realized no one could hear his cries. Hutt said he couldn't reach his cellphone, which was in his truck and out of range anyway.

Hutt had told his wife he would be back in several hours from a job 50 miles away, but he did not know when she might start searching for him.

"I cut off my boot to see my foot, and once I realized how bad it was, I started cutting off my toes," Hutt said.

Once he freed himself, he stopped the bleeding with the shirt and drove toward his home outside Montrose, about 175 miles southwest of Denver. He called for help once he was in cellphone range. An ambulance met him on the way.

Hutt said authorities retrieved his severed toes, but doctors said they couldn't be re-attached because they were too badly mangled.

Hutt was met by his wife, Margaret, at the hospital.

She said she started shaking when she got the message he left on her cellphone: "Please call, I cut my foot off."

She said she was only slightly relieved when she found out it was his toes.

Hospital spokeswoman Leann Tobin said Hutt was released on Aug. 22.

RSteiner

There was a similar story in the Readers Digest a few years ago.  I hope I never have to find out if I have the guts to do something like that.

Randy
Randy

metalspinner

I hope he tried to dig under his foot to release himself before he started his surgury.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!