iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what are they worth

Started by albirk, December 09, 2011, 03:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albirk

I have a guy that owes me $300 and want to trade me two saws for the bill one is a 028 and the other is a 011 they have not ran for two years I told him I would take $100 off the bill is that a fair price he tried to start them and only got a tired arm from pulling the rope

ladylake

It's close to Christmas, take off $125 if the have good compression. The 028 is a good saw.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

albirk

thanks for the reply I would like the 011 for brushing (12" bar) the 028 would be a plus , backup saw for my 260 and leave the 460 in the truck

Ianab

Yeah, compression is probably the important thing.

If they don't have that, then chances are they have major internal injuries.

If they have that then it could be as simple as a dud spark plug, old gas or maybe a carb rebuild. Either way, not expensive stuff to fix if you are mechanically inclined.

If they were good runners you might consider the $300, but if they don't run? ~$100 is more like it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

T Welsh

albirk, If both start and run and are in reasonable shape,$150.00 for 028 and $75.00 for the 011 is about the top of what I would pay or trade. Tim

albirk

thanks for the tips the saws look good but that don't always mean anything i was thinking $150 max but i would like to hear them run

albirk

I found out more on the 2 saws from a freind the 028 has a bent bar it was pinched real bad and the 011 will run 1 tank of gas and will not start till it cools of he told my freind that I should forget about the $300 and give him a (little to boot) because they are real good saws!!!! he want's to by a new  ms 250 they have a sale on them till the first  of the year $329 I will have to go get my $300 and tell him I need it to go get ME a new  MS250

nmurph

Then tell him to sell the saws and then you can settle up.

Al_Smith

I think you nailed the value of about 100 bucks .The 028 might be worth it and the 011 just tossed in the deal as a freebie .The one of  those models I have in the shed was a freebie for what that's worth .Same deal get hot ,no run no mo.

IMO paying 300 for mess like  that is paying to inherit somebody elses' problems .At a garage  sale or flea market  they'd be lucky to fetch 50 for the pair if they don't run .

Adam916

If the saws have been sitting for 2 years and the gas was left in them I  would dump the gas replace the filter and maybe fuel line. If the compression is above 120lbs you should be good. If you can get the saws running you can get at least $200-$250 on Ebay for the 028 and at least $100 for the 011. I think you should be fine knocking off $100 of the bill if you are willing to do a little work on the saws.
Saws: Husqvarna (3)372XP, (2)575XP, 395XP, (2)141, 385XP and a Stihl 090....

Jasperfield

This reply doesn't answer the question "What are they worth", but; I'd wait for him to pay the $300 and not mess with the saws.

Al_Smith

--or get the saws,the lawnmower,the pick up truck and the dog and hold them as collateral until the 300 gets payed off .Maybe leave the dog out because you'd have to feed it .

Geeze imagine feeding a St Bernard half grown pup.50 pounds of dog food and one mailman a  week . :D

Clam77

I'll write him a check for $150... take the saws... and leave him still owing you the $300.   :D

They're both excellent little saws when tuned up good..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Clam77

And then come back later for the lawnmower, truck, and dog. 

You can always retrain the dog Al - guy comes by to get his stuff back and his own dog won't let him near it... Classic!!    :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Al_Smith

:D Well I never looked at it from a dogs point of view but with that in mind I suppose the leg of a dead beat would be just as tastey as leg of mailman . Hmm perhaps that would  be a good new taste sensation to sell dog food .

albirk

stopped by last night after work to get my money the guy told me that the saws were worth $300 to$350 and i agreaded with him but told him that it was not going to be my $300 so he gave me 3 $100 bills maybe after today when the dealer tells what they will give he may stop back to see if i still want the saws

T Welsh

albirk, Cash is always better! Bartering only works when both parties are happy! Tim

Al_Smith

:D For 350 bucks I could get a pick up truck full of saws that don't run .

Here's the way I look at it .If say the carb needs rebuilt it's the price of the carb plus what a dealer would charge plus some money for the frustration of the whole thing .

If the thing won't run figure the worst  case scenerio ,it's a parts saw .

Thank You Sponsors!