iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Ash Value?

Started by martyinmi, December 08, 2011, 10:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martyinmi

I cut wood from my employers various properties. In one of the woods, there is an ash that is much larger than the others in the woods. It is dead, but still made leaves this year. At about 3 or four feet off from the ground the circumference measures 93". The first limb is about 16-18 ft. off from the ground. Is something like this worth anything, or should I just cut it up for firewood? I have an old friend that owns a Wood Mizer. Would it be worth my time to try and get the biggest piece to him to cut up? Is ash even marketable?
Thanks in advance.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Jeff

My first question to you would be, how is it dead, and still made leaves?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

martyinmi

It looks like just about every other ash in this area- in that bark is falling off and it looks as if someone has shot it with buckshot. I can tell this time of year which ash trees probably won't make too many leaves next summer, and this is one of them.
   I brought home a load of slabwood today from our local sawmill and asked them if they would be interested in it and they said no. I left a message with my Wood-Mizer friend this afternoon. Have to see what he says when he calls back.
   Is there even a market for ash? My friend at work said the last he heard a lot of mills wouldn't even take them because of the EAB, but that was a few years ago.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

SPIKER

ASH is a pretty hard wood used often for stakes and for areas that are abused or wear resistance.   it does not split all that easy (reason it is liked for stakes)  You can MASH the end of a stake and hammer it into a rock dang near.   often used for handles as well...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ron Wenrich

I don't know what kind of ash you have in your area, but ash does split easily.  Its used in handles as its a cheap alternative to hickory, easier to work and a lot lighter.  If you look in the hardware store, a new shovel with an ash handle is usually cheaper than just a hickory shovel handle.  You won't find ash used for axe or maul handles.  They won't take ash in ties, as it splits too easily when they drive in the spikes.  They do take them when markets are really tight.

Sounds like the tree might have anthracnose.  We have that in my area and the trees that get it have a steady decline.  Eventually they die, but it may take many years.  Another cause is the Emerald ash borer.  If that's the case, then the wood should stay local.

Ash can be used for flooring.  I've seen it labeled as golden oak.  There's not too much demand in the current markets.  We sell ours mainly as 8/4 lumber and send the uppers to a wholesaler, and the lower grade gets made into butcher block countertops.  I'm not sure what a local market would be like. 

The problem with dead wood is that it has bugs, usually powder post beetles, and the wood is brashy.  It takes on a different look to it when compared to fresh cut trees. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Autocar

Iam in northwest Ohio Iam getting 30 cents a bd. ft. for logs under 16 inch and any log over 16 will bring 45 cents a bd. ft. Theres companys paying more but with the high cost of fuel I just sell mine to local mills just to save the miles
Bill

Al_Smith

I'd run it through that Wood Mizer and save it if you have a use for it .Just one log is not worth fooling with to peddle to a mill which won't give you as much as it would bring for  fire wood .Fact locally ,also in NW Ohio just one log the mills wouldn't give you a dime for it .

I've used it for trim ,valances,window sills etc .Quarter sawn and with the right stain it looks a tad like oak .

SwampDonkey

Since we don't have much for oak, ash is used a lot in flooring up here and so isn't yellow birch. I'd use ash on a floor right quick. I like it better than red oak, splintery stuff that oak. When planed ash has a lustre like glass. ;D

And yes it's easy to split with a fro or axe. There is a handle plant (Garant) just south of here paying upwards of $550/th for 14" stuff. They do take smaller, but the price drops of course. Our woods are full of white ash up here like weeds. But it's a nice weed. ;) Most of it however is second growth because the big stuff was all cut over the last 30 years. More likely to find some nice ones on lots where people never cut wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

martyinmi

Thanks for the replies. My friend with the Wood Mizer called me back and said he wouldn't be interested in it- unless I had a few more to go with it. It just seems a shame to make firewood out of an old tree like that when it could be used for something more productive. It's coming down this morning :-\ It will be making heat in a couple of years 8)

Marty
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

zopi

Too bad yer not next door to me...was just wishing for some ash...but got over it and moved on to beech.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!