iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 036

Started by JustWondering, December 07, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustWondering

Good evening
I just purchased an 036 pro the other day and it appears to be running a .325 bar and chain and I'm guessing sprocket do these saws have the same floating rim sprocket as I have on my 045 or is it a complete different set up all together?
Thanks for your time and knowledge
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

tyb525

Mine does have a floating rim sprocket, but its 3/8" not .325. 036 Pro is a great saw though!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

isawlogs

They run a floating rim and yours is the first I hear of running on .325
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

T Welsh

JustWondering, A saw that size should be able to wear a 3/8 chain? Tim

Al_Smith

They came either way .Now here's the kicker .If it has the smaller splined clutch drum only a Stihl rim sprocket will fit it .The larger standard sized spline anybodys' rim /Oregon will interchange .

JustWondering

I just picked up a Stihl 3/8 7t rim sprocket for the saw
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

T Welsh

Sounds better,that size saw should have 3/8 and yes you have to change the sprocket . Tim

JustWondering

I believe that it is the smaller clutch drum, :-\ would it just be easier to replace the clutch drum or go with the correct fitting rim sprocket for this clutch drum
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

T Welsh

If it has a rim sprocket just go to stihl dealer and ask them what sprocket do you need to rum a 3/8 chain on it! Stihl does not allow parts fiche over the internet so its all in the dealers hands. Tim

islandlogger

I only got my hands on a 0-36 once, my limbing saw was throwing tantrums so borrowed my buddies 0-36 and it was a dandy, I liked it, I liked it enough I tryed to buy it from him on the spot with a fist full of cash but he wouldn't give it up to save my life....he still has it....I still offer to buy it now and then....I still ain't got it
You got a good saw once you sort all your sprockets and rims etc
Luck and safe

islandlogger

Al_Smith

If you didn't want to change bars chain etc  .325 8 tooth has about the same chain speed as a 3/8" 7 tooth .Just an option .

I 'd imagine if you wanted to change to the  large or standard spline size you'd have to go to perhaps an 044 clutch drum which would most likely be another bearing  also .Kind of hard to tell off hand without having the parts in front of you .A good dealer should know .

JustWondering

I already have the 20" es bar and full chisel chain as well an extra 3/8 rim sprocket. It is just for a different diameter drum so I ordered the new rim sprocket for this drum due to the fact that the drum for a normal rim sprocket has been discontinued for the 036 but I should be fine with this drum for what the saw is going to be used for.
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

JustWondering

So like I said I purchased the used 036 last week and I put the new 20" Es bar and chain on and purchased an new clutch drum and sprocket (20 bucks ) and put all back together the saw is super clean and runs great it was really babied was this a good purchase for 250 ? Or did I pay too much ?
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

JustWondering

What is the difference between the 036 and 036  pro?
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

isawlogs

I am not 100% sure but I think it is the sticker , I think they only made but one 036.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Al_Smith

If you're happy with it  250 bucks should be fine .With proper care it should long outlive the price you payed for it .

man of stihl

036 pro has a decomp. 036 doesn't.

isawlogs

Thanks, I did not know that. I have a pro, and I have never used the decomp. or ever thought of using it. I do though have the elasto start on it wich makes such a diference on starting a saw.

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!