iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna XP synthetic oil

Started by oakwood productions, December 06, 2011, 07:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakwood productions

I am about to use this oil for the first time. My dealer recommended that I mix it with 4 litres of gas instead of 5 litres recommended by Husqvarna. I would appreciate any comments on this.

smwwoody

I really don't want to open this can of worms, but here goes anyway.....  Mix it like the directions say and your saw will be happy. 
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: smwwoody on December 06, 2011, 08:22:03 PM
I really don't want to open this can of worms, but here goes anyway.....  Mix it like the directions say and your saw will be happy.

What he said!
I been using it for 5 years and with minimum 91 octane gas. My saw loves it as does my Echo weed eater. In fact my Echo wed eater runs best it has ever run since I switched it over to the  husky XP oil this past spring. and i dont have 2 mix cans setting around any more.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

thecfarm

I use the small bottles of Husky oil mix. Is this a different product?Mine are black bottles.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

T Welsh

Mix according to manufacturers spec,s Tim

bandmiller2

Mix oil is all important, synthetics are the best of the bunch,the directions on the bottle are straight scoop use them.  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ed

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 07, 2011, 07:04:22 AM
Mix oil is all important, synthetics are the best of the bunch,the directions on the bottle are straight scoop use them.  Frank C.

Yup.

Husky offers the oil in 3 different size bottles, 1, 2 & 2 1/2 gallon mix sizes. The larger 2 are easily confused.

Ed

Cut4fun

Is this that husky SEMI synthetic oil? or do they  really have a 100% synthetic oil now?

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

AdkStihl

Just run 50:1
Both Husky & Stihl produce high quality oils designed to be mixed at this ratio
J.Miller Photography

lumberjack48

oakwood i agree with your dealer 100%

My Stihl dealer told me, the way you run your saws you should run 32:1, never had a problem after that.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

oakwood productions

My Husky dealer told me to run a richer mixture with the synthetic oil. Mixing it with 4 litres of gas instead of 5. I am going to mix the oil and gas 50:1 like I did with the previous Castrol oil I was using.

John Mc

Quote from: oakwood productions on December 07, 2011, 03:28:39 PM
My Husky dealer told me to run a richer mixture with the synthetic oil. Mixing it with 4 litres of gas instead of 5...

I've heard people argue for oil ratios all over the map. However, this is the first time I've heard someone recommend that synthetic oil should have more oil in the mix than non-synthetic. Usually people are pushing equal or less oil for synthetic.

Personally, I run 50:1 in all my saws. (using Husky semi-synthetic or Stihl synthetic oil) I've had no oil-related issues. The only reason I'd consider a change is if I were doing chainsaw milling, or perhaps if I were running a hot race saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

weimedog

Well you can learn something new every day I guess. One of the added benefits to the later generation Synthetics is you can in fact use more oil than the older generation synthetics that would leave a gooey residue if you mixed more than 50:1. Been around that block with the racing two strokes (motocross) from the 1970's on to the early 1990's and again now this past ten years with saws. Want to have a really nice looking motor when You tear it down? Run more oil. Especially those who run applications like milling where there is sustain loads.

As I've posted for years, I run a good quality synthetic at 32:1 in my two stroke dirt bikes and saws. Have ever since products like Bel-Ray H1R & Golden Spectro & Mobil One MX2T came out that burn clean. Also brands you may never have seen...unless you are running their stuff in relabeled for the saw market bottles. Echo Power Blend was a good option and now the Husqvarna and Stihl brands seem to be good stuff.

For those in a quandary on what to do..RTFM (Read The Effen Manual)and do what they say ...for those who are a bit harder on stuff and like to get more out of their two strokes grinding & cutting to get there...32:1 will minimize the risk you created when those muffler mods start splitting your ear drums. I can tell you I practice what i preach...and especially those who mill,,,,more oil is where you want to be. To those 100:1 guys? We need you to keep doing that and buying new equipment to keep this industry alive.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

John Mc

I agree that it makes sense to run more oil if you're race saws, racing bikes, other highly modded engines, or even a stock saw if used for chainsaw milling. I thought we were talking about stock saws, or maybe something with a moderate muffler mod, or a more conservative, "woods port". I that case, I don't see that running something under 50:1 gets you anything, as long as you are running a quality oil. (And yes, I agree, I would not consider running 100:1, regardless of how great the label on the oil bottle claims the stuff is.)

One of these days, I'll just learn to just keep my mouth shut and stay out of it when it comes to the oil wars...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

weimedog

What my 32:1 habit has given me on even stock saws is nice oil filmed parts on tear down where I have seen much dryer parts with 50:1. I get piece of mind. In the years of Motocross & Hare Scrambles racing I would get more races on top ends and that was relatively easy to see & quantify. I speculate as I haven't done a scientific study; that I get more life out of my saws, stock or non stock. Guess in reality I have to weigh the extra cost of more oil with the perception, real or not; that I have incrementally lowered the risk of failure when I'm out in the woods & added to the life of my saws & other two strokes....its worth the extra money to me. Hard to take those years of racing two strokes out of my mind.

When two strokes went to water cooling, the extra oil wasn't as big a deal...although I still ran 32:1. Saws aren't water cooled and have more operating temperature fluctuations over their service as a result of their "air cooled" design...more oil tends to help them run cooler and deal with the more extreme situations even stock saws see over their service life...more oil (with in reason!) can only help.

The lowest common denominator is what the manufacturers say..so as I said before, if your in a quandary....RTFM! If not, do what your analysis suggests makes most sense :P, if that's 50:1? Do it. If that's 75:1? Do it and accept the results! :o For me 32:1. 8)

BTW, I would bet my Muffler modded saws running 100 LL and 32:1 mixed with synthetics run cooler than your stock saw running 89 octane and 50:1 mix...at least my IR non contact thermometer think mine do..something I have tested. Is it the 100LL, Muffler mods & other tweaks moving more air thru the saw? is it the additional oil? Or combinations of those? I don't know. I'll let the smart ones figure that out... :)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Adam916

I run non synthetic oil during break in period which is the first gallon of gas. I am a total husky man but I don't like how expensive there oil is. I run Redline full synthetic 40:1 mixture my thought is that I would rather foul a plug than a piston. That's just my 2 cents hope it might help!
Saws: Husqvarna (3)372XP, (2)575XP, 395XP, (2)141, 385XP and a Stihl 090....

Bandmill Bandit

I am doing a bit more checking on this but I have been told by the local dealer that the Husky XP oils are packaged by Bell-Ray for Husky. I have been running the Bell-Ray MC1, 2 cycle synthetics in ALL 2 cycle engines I have owned since 1979.

I have yet to find a better or more consistant quality 2 cycle oil for the money from any other company.

It is a bit more money but you spend less on repairs and the engines just plain like it.

My son says that once you give a 2 cycle engine the Bell Ray oil and then try something different, they will do every thing wrong and sometimes just refuse to run till they get their candy back.  :D :D
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Woodhog

Would anyone know who makes the oil for Husky???

Al_Smith

Anybody can run whatever they want and at any ratio they want as far as I'm concerned .Myself it's regular mix oil ,either Stihl or TSC in the little bottles at 32 to 1 .

If I could post a picture I could show the piston on an 038 Av which showed almost no build up of carbon after running nearly a year after a little soup up .The only reason it was disected at that time was to add more soup to it .

Recently I put a new seal in a 200T .The saw had been pepped up,domed polished piston ,ran two years more or less .Through the spark plug hole that thing still shined like a mirror .

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Woodhog on December 14, 2011, 09:49:11 AM
Would anyone know who makes the oil for Husky???

Bell Ray Total Performance Lubricants is what I have been told.

http://www.belray.com/industrial/products/synthetic-lubricants

weimedog

They make really good stuff...I;ve used Bel Ray H1R over the MC1 because it seems to burn cleaner at the ratio's I run..of course I haven't run MC1 in a very long time, ever since H1R came out. Can't buy a better two stroke oil than Bel Ray in my not so humble opinion...so if Husqvarna has their label on BelRay..I'm buying it (If I can't find H1R)

Bandmill Bandit

I just picked up a couple of bottles of the H1R and SL2. Dealer told me I would like them better then the MC1. Havent run either one yet but will be soon. Have 4 of the little XP bottles left to finish up. I am trying to find out which bel ray product is used to fill the XP bottles for husky.

barbender

I run my saws at 40:1 and error towards a little richer, I've never fouled a plug. I did have a saw let the wrist pin bearings go at a little over a year old, I was running that at the manufactuer recommended 50:1. The saw shop mechanic told me to run more oil like they used to, so I am.
Too many irons in the fire

SlimJim

New Member, thanks for this great forum!

I hope my first post being to an oil forum doesn't mark me as hopeless  ;D

Just one more thing to think about with your next oil selection :

Thank You Sponsors!