iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BTU chart check this out

Started by Ohiowood, December 05, 2011, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Sweetgum is not even suitable to burn.  I hates Sweetgum.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Yeah, a good table. Many of the tables you see floating around the web showing BTUs by species are assembled from a variety of sources. The problem is that most of the people pulling that info don't correct for different assumptions made by the different sources (moisture content, how much wood vs how much air in a cord of wood). The ChimneySweep did it right, and corrected the data for varying assumptions.

I got permission from them to post the pdf version here on FF. You can find that post here.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

RobbyRob

I think this chart is off a bit. Black locust burns hot and so does beech..
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

John Mc

Quote from: RobbyRob on December 06, 2011, 10:49:59 AM
I think this chart is off a bit. Black locust burns hot and so does beech..

So how is the chart off? They're both near the top of the list, both above Sugar Maple, which is a prime hardwood firewood.

BTW... the Blue Beech listed in the Chimney Sweep's table is not the same as American Beech, but the BTU content of the two is fairly similar. I burn American Beech all the time. Great heat content, good coaling.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

roman

I burn a lot of beech and maple. Good heat, coals and pretty much complete combustion. I wish I had oak on my property. I like oak!

Thank You Sponsors!