iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Texas "Wannabe" in Afghanistan (contracting)

Started by PJinN.E.Texas, December 03, 2011, 08:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJinN.E.Texas

Greetings fellas from Afghanistan.  I am currently contracting in AF in support of our beloved troops.  I am planning on staying over here long enough to turn out the lights when it's time to leave (about 3 yrs) or until the "current" wife informs me to bring my A$$ home.  The money is good here but, I am still trying to figure out what I am gonna do for extra money once I do return stateside.  I do plan on having a day job for sure but, I am also looking for something to do for "extra money" on the weekends and time off from the "day job".  I hope to pull a job that has a schedule where I may work for a week and then be off for a week (7on,7off; 14on,14off; 21on,21off; 28on,28off).  Any of these schedules would work.  I absolutely love working outdoors with no regard to the weather.  I am not scared of hard work and I am somewhat of a work-a-holic once I get started!  Once I get in "work mode" I plow straight ahead!!!
     When we do have down time here in AF, I surf the web for whatever interests me and somehow came across the Wood-Mizer sawmills.  I don't know how I came across them but, I did!  Now I am fixated on them and can't seem to acquire enough knowledge.  I have downloaded multiple videos and watch them almost daily.  I also came across this forum and have been reading it for days now whenever I have time.  I can't seem to get enough of it!  It is pure info with a good dose of entertainment as well.  I can't stop reading!  Although I have never worked in the forestry industry, I can't wait to start!  My background is as a mechanic.  I am not the best but, far from the worst!  There is "almost" no type of work that scares me!  I also have a great desire to learn anything that I do not already know.  I also worked in the Texas Oil Field for 5 1/2 years as a RoughNeck.  My hobby is wood working.  I did make a type of cabinet with four drawers up top and two doors down below.  It was made of pine as I figured I needed to learn how to build with cheap lumber and I thought there would be mistakes.  It turned out so well that it went right into the house!  My second piece was started in 2008 just before I started contracting and it is still unfinished.  When I do come home for R&R (about every 7 months), I don't have time to finish it because I spend all my time with family.  I will finish it though in the future.
     I did have the opportunity to tail boards for a fella back in 1998 when my father was having some Pine cut from his property.  This gentleman was called in and he cut logs for two days with me tailing, stickering and stacking.  I couldn't tell you what brand the sawmill was but, it sure was orange!  Of course, I am now aware that it was a WM.  I have no idea what model it was but, it was Hyd!  It was absolutely wonderful working with such a fine piece of machinery!!!  It had me mesmerized like a good camp fire.  Those were two very enjoyable days!!!  I wish I could do it all over again and this time pay more attention.
     Now, here I am 9000 miles from home and trying to figure out what model I'm gonna buy for me when I return to N.E. Texas (Texarkana).  I have been doing a lot of reading and saving much of what will allow me to do a good job once I do get started.  There has been a lot of copying and pasting along with multiple web pages saved.  I came across Toms web page and copied every word he had written on his page along with his pics.  Even though I never got a chance to meet the man (Tom), his words (and all of y'alls) are of real value to me and I am very grateful he and you, took the time to write so much down.  I promise you all that I will follow in his and y'alls  footsteps by teaching and sharing any knowledge I have to help my fellow man!  You all have been a big help in allowing me to decide what I know will be a purely enjoyable side job/hobby once I return home.  Thank you all so very much for taking the time to share your knowledge with us all!!!  I for one, really appreciate it! 
-HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER-

PJ Mathews

VictorH

WDH

Welcome to the Forum PJ.  Good to have you aboard!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

redbeard

Welcome and be safe over there. Heck of a place to catch sawmill fever hope the forum can keep you sane till you get back state side. They have any logs to saw over there?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

islandlogger

Now there's some ambition from afar!! Saw dust fever all the way from Affy, I wish you luck on the dream and be safe in that zone! And...welcome to the Forum, you found the right place and as stated above hopefully following along here will help keep you safe and sane till home time. Look forward to reading of your progress in future!!

islandlogger

TimGA

PJ  ,   Can't imagine being so far from home,Woodmizer mill good choice, I personally have a Timberking 2000 all hyd have installed remote throttle,lube control. Love to go and saw. Lord willing your time there will fly by and you wil be home. Thanks for what you do welcome to FF I love it great people who love to work. Merry Christmas   Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

fishpharmer

Good to have you onboard PJ.  Welcome to FF! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum PJinN.E.Texas.

We have had enough hero's, from the Persian Gulf, we really don't need any more.

Stay Low!

Good to see someone looking so far ahead at getting into the sawmill business!

I love it, and you most likely will too!

Good luck to you in your venture!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Take care of your self over there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

schakey

Welcome PJ and thank you for what you are doing smiley_clapping
Here at home I am doing the same thing,reading all I can about
Woodmizer on their website,Forestry Forum and any vidoes I
can find.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum PJ, and I know that you look forward to being  "PJinN.E.Texas".  There are plenty of Pine trees there to occupy your time.  Much better than the sand where your are now.  Be safe.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JP135

Hey PJ, good to have you on the forum. I'm a Texarkana boy myself. Thanks for doing what you do - whether active duty or contractor, Afgani-land is still a dangerous place. Keep your head on a swivel.

I'm still fairly new to all this, but I really enjoy it. I run a Woodmizer LT15 and just love it. When I get the money straight, I'm either gonna add some labor saving items (power feed, log turner and hydraulic or even electric winch powered log loader), or I'm gonna move up to a mill with hydraulics. I'm 50 with some back and joint problems, and if I spend most of the day on the mill, I can really tell it that night and the next day. Figured I'd get used to it after a while but I haven't. I figure before I burn myself out, I'm gonna look into adding the labor-saving items I listed or upgrading to a mill with hydraulics. Something to consider when you buy your mill.

JP

PJinN.E.Texas

Thanks for all your "well wishes" fellas.  I appreciate it.  Yes, this is one helluva place to catch sawdust fever but, it has helped me to see where I want to be when I do rotate back stateside.  I hope to visit anyone with any type of portable sawmill when I come home for R&R next month that is close to home.  I'd even show up early if they would allow me to work... at no pay of course!  Take care fellas.   

-HARD WORK BUILDS CHARACTER-

PJ Mathews

thecfarm

I would get you up here,but not close to your home.  ;D Having a sawmill is a great adventure. Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JP135

Quote from: PJinN.E.Texas on December 19, 2011, 11:00:34 PM
  I hope to visit anyone with any type of portable sawmill when I come home for R&R next month that is close to home. 

My email is circlep$rocketmail.com (replace $ with @) give me a holler when you're about to get out of there. I'm in Emory, Tx - about an hour and a half west off of I-30.

JD350Cmark

PJ,

Wood-Mizer puts out a publication twice a year for mill owners.  (I think it use to be quarterly?)  Prior to purchasing my mill I had a nearby WM mill owner give me a stack of old Wood-Mizer Way magazines.  These were very helpful to me and not to mention good reading about products and how other WM owners use their mills and in some cases what they are building.  When you get home and get to visit some local mill owners, maybe they would lend out their magazines..  I seem to come across past issues all the time and find myself reading them over and over - sometimes I just look at all the projects that are pictured.   :P

I doubt that I'm the only one that looks forward to the new issue.
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Kansas

I seem to remember reading some story about logging in Afghanistan. Don't remember the area. Where there is logging, there are usually sawmills. I wonder if there is a chance of one being in your area. I do NOT recommend you drive around looking for one. But I do wonder if there is a chance of a Woodmizer, or norwood, timberking, or another around.

Thank You Sponsors!