iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooking Pavilion

Started by Mooseherder, December 03, 2011, 02:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I know what your saying about laying those blocks, it's a dang lot of work.  Coming along nicely. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

WDH

You said it was a party  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Heck Yeah!
It ain't that far neither. :D

Mooseherder

I've been working on the grill pit and Pizza oven every night after work trying to finish for a Saturday night party.
The left side of the grill pit is ready for a firing tomorrow night.
I'll cook the heck outta of it to make sure it is cured and ready for food Saturday.
The inside has two levels for fire coals or wood and has 3 cooking levels and also a feature to bake MagicMans Drum Chicken by laying steel bars across the top.  I also have rotiserrie brackets that will be installed.  I have to also finish putting pavers on the ground around the sides and back along with cleanup.
My daughter put a pallet of sod down while I was working on the pit.  :)
The right side where the Pizza oven is going will takes a few more weeks to finish.
The drink in the glass is whiskey for my aching back. ;D

This one is from this morning before putting the last course of bricks.
Still have to make the table, mow the lawn, get the food and a bunch more stuff.

ljmathias

Looks like a park!  How you gonna keep the neighbors from coming over and "borrowing" it while you're not there?

Great job!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Mooseherder

The surprise Party for Dan went very well last Saturday and the Cooking Pavilion along with the grill were a success.  We had about 35 people show up.  I finally got the area cleaned up and ready just in time for guests.  Although the back of the grill and the Pizza oven are not finished here is a video of what it is so far.  I'll be cooking on it later today and may post what I am doing in the Food section and try to get some more footage.   My camera card is full so it needs to be gone through and uploaded or deleted.

I had a lot of different proteins that evening for our guests and people also brought some great side dishes.  Cooked some Chicken Drumsticks, Smoked sausage, a big tin of baked beans before the guests arrived along with my swamp cabbage recipe and Boiled Peanuts.  That was about ready when everyone showed and were waiting for Dan to show with my daughter.  I had the fire just low enough to keep everything warm.   After they arrived I had 32 thick Burgers to cook so on went some more wood and charcoal.
I put the Beans and Pot of Peanuts on the side tops and proceeded to cook. ;D
The Sausage and Chicken were on that grill a total of 4 hrs. but so, so good.
The Burgers cooked rather quickly because of the high heat and everything came together really nice.
When it it was time to eat the drumsticks didn't make it to the house as everyone was gathered out back for some games and the firepit.
They were incredible.  Everything else was good also.
When I was done the Peanuts went back on for later in the evening.
Pulled them off about 3 hours later and they were a big hit. :)

This video is of the previous Thursday when I got the grill fired up and cured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbPmOdixCA&feature=youtube

Norm

Magicman

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 05, 2012, 11:19:26 PM
and also a feature to bake MagicMans Drum Chicken by laying steel bars across the top.

You will really have to seal the top up tight and allow only a very small amount of draft to keep from having "Crisped Chickin".   :o   

I really like your Pavilion, firepit, and and everything else in it.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Looks like a good hot fire going. Where's the chicken? I didn't view the Vid. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Thanks Guys! :)
Here is the finished picture except for some more stain and the center table and the Pizza oven. :D
I bought some steel bars with predrilled holes just in case for the Drum Chicken.
They are a nice fit across the top of the inner brick.
I'll have to come up with some fabrication for a top.
I'm also pondering making the Oven work off of propane and or Wood Coals.
How hard is it to make a safe rig that I could drill pipe for this and then buy some propane fittings?

LeeB

Can you weld? Use square tube. Cap the ends, drill and tap the holes for the burner fittings(I have used grease zerts with the ball knocked out for flame outlets) and a low pressure regulator, or just gut an old propane oven. You can get them for next to nothing.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

I'd go with Lee's recommendation on finding an old gas grill. Craigslist should get you lots of hits for some.

Mooseherder

I have never welded but my brothers are real good at it.
I've asked them to show me how to weld.
The problem is they're 2 thousand miles away. 
There is a guy with a sign in his front yard around here that says welding so maybe I'll check with him.
I have my Mother's old Gas stove in storage for use in my Northern Cook Shack but wil be keeping that one intact.  It is at least 50 years old because my parents bought that house when I was tree. ;D

Raider Bill

What kind of tree were you? ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

LeeB

The old gas grill would likely be cheaper and easier.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mooseherder

I might go with new replacement parts from one of the depots.
What would I need in between the tank and the burner besides a regulator?

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on January 17, 2012, 10:02:28 AM
The old gas grill would likely be cheaper and easier.

The problem with them is normally the burners are rusted out. I used new SS replacement parts.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

Oh, and bricks flying in every direction from a blowout is my main concern. ::)

LeeB

I would use 1/2" black pipe. Are there any vent holes down at the bottom to keep any gas from accumulating? I shouldn't think it would be any more concern than lighting an oven. I use a high pressure ball valve on my fryer to keep the gas off till I'm ready to light it in addition to the valve on the bottle. I also use it to regulate the flame, much the same as a burner control. The whole thing is home made and probably would get me thrown in jail. It will boil 5 gal of water in just a few minutes. Sounds like a jet engine. Used a grease zert for the tip and have a piece of flat iron right above it for a target to spread out the flame. Been using it for 15 years or more.

Tdawg

Quote from: LeeB on January 17, 2012, 10:39:38 AM
I would use 1/2" black pipe. Are there any vent holes down at the bottom to keep any gas from accumulating? I shouldn't think it would be any more concern than lighting an oven. I use a high pressure ball valve on my fryer to keep the gas off till I'm ready to light it in addition to the valve on the bottle. I also use it to regulate the flame, much the same as a burner control. The whole thing is home made and probably would get me thrown in jail. It will boil 5 gal of water in just a few minutes. Sounds like a jet engine. Used a grease zert for the tip and have a piece of flat iron right above it for a target to spread out the flame. Been using it for 15 years or more.

Do you have any pics? Or would you prefer to keep them from the authorities? :D :D :D

LeeB

I'll take some pics when I get back home. I'm half way around the world from it right now.

Thank You Sponsors!