iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooking Pavilion

Started by Mooseherder, December 03, 2011, 02:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I have been wanting to build something like this for a while and decided it was time to get started.
The area under roof will be 12x10 feet with a Brick oven on one side and a cooking BBQ pit on another.
The ovens will not be under cover.  The floor will be brick pavers.  The Table and chairs I have planned will be log base with 2x tops.   Everything I build is by the seat of my pants and sometimes I change as I go along. :D  The logs are Pine my neighbor had taken down to plant fruit trees.  I've had them a few months and they are hard with resin pitch.

This is what they look like after I sanded with 40 grit and then bleached them with a paint brush.

I did manage to get a drop of bleach in my right eye on the second post and am still have eye pain from that.  I wear protective eye covering for most jobs and somehow forgot how dangerous this stuff is.
Used one of those cheap brushes you get in a bag of ten for a few dollars and the bleach ate the bristles.  That is some caustic stuff and finished the job with glasses and a better brush.

Mooseherder

One of the logs had a branch I felt should be incorporated into the frame.
It will be used to hold a grill brush or sumpthin. ;)

The logs were notched to rest the 2x6s.

Raider Bill

Glen,
Did you treat the log ends with something before putting them in the ground?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

No, I haven't treated them yet.
Here is my helper.  They work cheap and don't talk back. ;D

jimdad07

Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

gspren

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 03, 2011, 02:46:05 PM
Glen,

Is there a good cheap alternative to the creasote we used to buy? Any recipies for homebrew creasote?
Gary
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WDH

I like the bleached effect. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Are they set in the ground?

Mooseherder

Yes, they are set in 3 ft. of sugar sand.

Raider Bill

I'd be worried about Subterranean termites with no treatment on them poles. They kill us up here.

pappy

Quote from: gspren on December 03, 2011, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on December 03, 2011, 02:46:05 PM
Glen,

Is there a good cheap alternative to the creasote we used to buy? Any recipies for homebrew creasote?
Gary

Some folks might cringe when I say , lather on some plastic cement, the kind you'd use to patch roofing and the like with...

A new cook shack in the making MH ??   ;)  ;D  nuttin' like eating in the great outdoors eh?
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Raider Bill

Pappy, do you mean "bull"?

Around here if I put anything in or on the ground I use termidor pretty heavy even if it's treated wood. untreated pine is candy to them.

The Subs are terrible here.

isawlogs

I like those " naturel bristle brushes " that melt away...  ::) :-\

Glen thats lookin' good. Someday , maybe, chances are slim, but maybe I might get down dat far and have a looks see, but, just in case I don't put a few more pics for my memory .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pappy

Raider Bill I'm not sure what ya mean by "bull" if it means tar than dat be it  ;D Of late I use the plastic cement stuff on ground contact like the end of a post up here in the north country, mostly just to keep out moisture ... We don't have to deal with termites as we don't have 'em but we do have carpenter ants and those are mostly in standing live wood... If we leave anything on the ground and sometimes not,, the lil pine borers, them lil b'jezlers will bore the heck out of the balsam fir  >:(  The other day I pulled an old white cedar fence post out of some wet / damp ground and the part to the weather, top 4 feet was mostly gone like from a 5" diam post down to about half of that... I placed that post about 27 years ago... The part that was mostly rotten was right at the base with the ground contact.. The peeked part down in the ground was almost like the day I planted it.  :o  Lack of oxygen would be my guess why it lasted   ???

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Raider Bill

Yep the black nasty tar stuff. We call it "Bull" don't know why but everyone calls it that. Gets on everything you don't want it to and doesn't come off. We have major issues with both dry wood and subterranean termites here. I'll take the dry wood one anytime as if you see 1 drywood mite there's hundreds, if you see one sub there's millions.

Mooseherder

I got to work some more on the pavillion on Sunday and Monday and got the trusses made.
It took me 2 days to make them.  Got half of them stained along with 1/2 of the pavillion and ran out of stain.  My daughter went to the Store for me and they were out of the stain I used.  I'll find some at another location.  I had to go back to work today after vacation and it was doozey.  One store had lost refrigeration and I just got home.  The plan was to finish staining and start putting the trusses up but that may not happen until Saturday.
These pics are from early Sunday when starting the truss system and before stain.
The lil shelter in the background hoarding junk used to be a Goat's Pen.  We used to have Goats when our kids were young but that's a story for another day. :D
The shelter has been there for 19 years and has also had a tree fall on it back in 2004.
It is still standing.   I'm not worried about the bugs because they are already crawling on the frame as I'm working on it.  The bug man will take care of it. ;D
Working by myself seems to take twice as long.  Every time I need a holder you gotta make da holder or da stopper. :D

The unfinished center Beam.

Mooseherder

Getting here is real easy Marcel.
You just hop on da plane and I pick you up at the Airport. :)
Pappy, my cook shack will never measure up to yours but you should know that yours did inspire me to make one ever since I saw what you built.  This one is just practice for what I'll build at the campsite. :)
Here is Pappy's Cook Shack.

Magicman

Mh, that Cooking Pavilion is coming along nicely.  Bleaching and staining as you go is a very smart idea.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I am ready for you to cook something  :D.  Woe be that gator if he comes back  dangle_smiley.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

The Gator hasn't been seen for a while.  I'm pretty sure he is gone because he would come out to sun himself otherwise.  That was part of his daily routine.  I'd walk down there every time he was on the bank to make him leave and he'd go into the pond.  I was hoping he would tire of me and go towards the canal.  With the canal as our property line, seems the gators highway will always keep us on our toes.  Thankfully most of the time they're of manageable size.
My SIL came over to get him a couple days after we last seen it and he was no where to be found.
Our neighbor had one called in and removed from his pond right around the same time but his was somewhat aggressive.  Ours was a little bigger but skiddish.  I'm not a big fan of gator meat but wouldn't mind cooking some for you guys. :D

WDH

Being a Bulldog, I have always enjoyed eating gator  ;D. 

SwampDonkey

Nice project Glen. Always gotta think about nurishment eh? ;)

Now when I seen the comment Bill made about a "bull" I thought he was volunteering to be bull-cook. :D You know, the chore boy around camp who cuts fuel, fills wood boxes, sweeps bunk-houses, washes blankets etc... ;)

Never a dull moment. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I'll be glad to help cook and eat. I'll bring a house mouse to take care of the other duties. :D

isawlogs

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 08, 2011, 08:39:19 AM
I'll bring a house mouse to take care of the other duties. :D
Might have something to do with all the X's ya have  :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: isawlogs on December 08, 2011, 08:48:33 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on December 08, 2011, 08:39:19 AM
I'll bring a house mouse to take care of the other duties. :D
Might have something to do with all the X's ya have  :D :D :D

True but I'm having fun! 8)

Mooseherder

The first accessory has been purchased for the pavilion.
It is a toddler swing for the Grand Baby. :)

Mooseherder

I had a little daylight when getting home and got to finish staining the trusses and center beam.
This is a picture of the center peak where the 2x4 will screwed onto.  The top center is 2x6 flanked with 2x4 on each side.  The 2 x 4 truss will rest on the flank and get screwed in flush with the center 2x6.
Hopefully it won't be raining Saturday. 

Then it was time to cook on the old pit.  It was dark when I took this picture.
Cooking by flashlight stinks so I'll have a fix for that also. ;D
Chickens were on sale this week.  They were both over 5 lbs each.  We got two of them for under 12 bucks.  Cutting the parts is good for 3 meals.  Last night my wife and I had Chicken Cutlets.  Tonights meal will feed 4 of us.  Then we have two more Boneless Breasts for another meal this week.
The parts were real good tonight. ;)

SwampDonkey

MMM, I can even smell the chicken from the far side of Maine. ;D :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Some unconventional thinking being tried here as I have never seen or heard of this being done.
I've often wondered how Hardi plank would do for roofing so will try it out.
I looked at all my options and I think this will work well for this project.
Got the undersides painted with 2 coats and left the yeller primer on the top for now except for a plank were i messed up starting to paint the wrong side.

Here is the underside.  It looks pretty cool with the side of overlap of the plank yeller.  Looks like a pinstrip shingled on there.

And the other side.  It's laying nice and flat no ripples because of the 13-2 x 4 in 12 feet.
I was up there and it held my weight without moving at all.
Have to find a nice color for the top.  The yeller is growing on me though. ;D
When I am done with the other side, looks like I am right at 5 hundred dollars so far.
All screws on this project.  That makes it cost a little more.

WDH

It will be interesting to see if the hardi-plank holds up in that South FL climate.  It looks nice!

Mooseherder

We Hardi planked the house about 12 years ago.  It is holding up real good except where I hit it with the lawn mower. ::)
I think there is enough pitch to keep things rolling off.  If not, it cost me 120 for hardi plank and 30 dollars for screws. :D
Oh, and the paint.

isawlogs

Now how is it that you hit da house wit a lawn chopper  ::) ???

And while I got your attention wit dat .. whats a hardy board  :P ???

Is there a plan for any roof ventalation in the design, ya know like a cupola of some kind  ???

Marcel

SwampDonkey

What I want to know, is that roof snow load worthy? ;D ;)

Looks like a nice pavilion for the cook to me. ;D That yellow will be nice and bright in that Fl sunshine. ;) The roofing wood, whatever it is, looks thin, I hope it's a rot resistant wood. Do you guys get moss on roofs down there or is it too dry? I noticed the woods have moss hanging off the trees when I was down there. Cypress shingles or clapboard seems like a thought of mine if the "Hardi" turns bad. Just a thought though. ;)

I can see a lot of good times being spent under that canopy.  ;D

Mooseherder

Yes I need to be more careful with the mower.
There's a couple 90 degree areas that I try to get too close instead of having to use the weed wacker.
The Hardie plank is a fibre composite with wood particles and cement and I imagine some hardeners.
I don't have any ventilation planned.  The ovens will be outside of the overhang and with the sides open it should be okay.

WDH

It is called fiber cement.  Made from bleached wood pulp, cement, and other stuff I am sure. 

Red will get on you about the snow load problem that you have, so get ready  :D.

thecfarm

The most "load" it will ever see was you being up there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 12, 2011, 08:28:16 AM
The most "load" it will ever see was you being up there.

Or something blown in by a hurricane...

Up North you worry about snow load. Down here in Florida we have to worry about wind load...

Herb

Magicman

Hardie plank is not designed for wet conditions.  Since your application will not allow for standing water or constant exposure to water, I'm thinking that you will be OK.  It works well for siding and facia because the water runs off.  Same for your roof.

I would absolutely paint that primed top, even if you use yellow.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Red, with black trim  :D. 

SwampDonkey

Then make sure to paint Ski-Doo in black on the yellow roof. ;D ;)

sbishop

MH, nice job on the "shack".....when's the opening party? maybe i'll swing by and pick up Pappy and head down for some grub!!!!  ;)

Sbishop

Mooseherder

I'll do some work on it tomorrow. 
Looking forward to using it also. ;)

caveman

That Florida soil looks like the all familiar Myakka fine soil.  I would be a bit apprehensive about putting bare pine poles into the ground.  Several years ago, I used treated landscape timbers as fence posts for a fence around my yard.  They lasted about two or three years before the termites had consumed them from the soil line down.  I hope the cook shed works out for you.  I am planning something similar eventually but it will be on concrete pads using cedar or cypress timbers to frame.  Old heart pine poles would provide a measure of protection from insects and moisture but they are getting harder to come by.  Caveman
Caveman

Mooseherder

Geez, now you tell me. :D
Got to finish and paint the roof today.  My daughter didn't like the yeller idea and brought me some deck and porch paint she had left over from her porch project.  I think she is right.
It took me most of the day but I'm happy with they way it turned out.
I had left one plank off the right side and made the plank on the left side go just above the peak.
Then seam sealed the opposite plank and butted it just beneath the one on the left side.
Used more seam sealer in the little gap for a finishing touch.
I'm confident the roof won't leak but there will be some rain coming in from the open sides.
Next step is to lay the pavers.  I used my tape measure attached to a string to use as a plumb bob to find the center of the floor.  You can see it in the picture.
I think I'm done with paint but with need some stain for the table and bench chairs.
That will happen simultanously with the concrete and brick work.  As long as I am here the bugs will not get the best of this kitchen. :)

isawlogs

I also think your daughter was right !  :D :)

Marcel

Norm

Looking good Glenn.  :)

Now you need to get a BGE to put under it for those buffalo ribeyes.

SwampDonkey

Merry Christmas eh? And bon appetite. ;D

WDH

You picked a nice flat spot.........wait, everything down there is flat  :) ;D.

Mooseherder

Yep, Flat is good sometimes. :)
Got to work on the Pavilion on Saturday and Sunday.
It took most of the day Saturday for the pavers and most of Sunday minus the time spent going to Blue depot for the bricks and mortar.  I have worked till dark both nights and then cooked on the old brick grill after. ;)
The pressure is on.   We are throwing a surprise 30th birthday party for my daughter's boyfriend next Saturday.  I'll  have to work on the BBQ pit every night when I come home until then.  I would like to fire it on Thursday or Friday before using it on Saturday. ::)
If for some reason the weather doesn't cooperate I may be forced to use the old grill.  It is suppose to get down in the 30's and 40's the next few days.  It has been 75-80 when I have been doing this and drank a gallon of water each day.  I usually don't drink any or much water.
It was dark when these were taken.

Got the base and second course of cement blocks in along with the first course of the finish brick on the front and sides.  The log base in the center will be for the table top.

One of the last times the trusty ol' brick grill put to use for Chicken Breasts. :)

WDH

SwampDonkey

I know what your saying about laying those blocks, it's a dang lot of work.  Coming along nicely. ;)

Mooseherder

WDH

You said it was a party  :D.

Mooseherder

Heck Yeah!
It ain't that far neither. :D

Mooseherder

I've been working on the grill pit and Pizza oven every night after work trying to finish for a Saturday night party.
The left side of the grill pit is ready for a firing tomorrow night.
I'll cook the heck outta of it to make sure it is cured and ready for food Saturday.
The inside has two levels for fire coals or wood and has 3 cooking levels and also a feature to bake MagicMans Drum Chicken by laying steel bars across the top.  I also have rotiserrie brackets that will be installed.  I have to also finish putting pavers on the ground around the sides and back along with cleanup.
My daughter put a pallet of sod down while I was working on the pit.  :)
The right side where the Pizza oven is going will takes a few more weeks to finish.
The drink in the glass is whiskey for my aching back. ;D

This one is from this morning before putting the last course of bricks.
Still have to make the table, mow the lawn, get the food and a bunch more stuff.

ljmathias

Looks like a park!  How you gonna keep the neighbors from coming over and "borrowing" it while you're not there?

Great job!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Mooseherder

The surprise Party for Dan went very well last Saturday and the Cooking Pavilion along with the grill were a success.  We had about 35 people show up.  I finally got the area cleaned up and ready just in time for guests.  Although the back of the grill and the Pizza oven are not finished here is a video of what it is so far.  I'll be cooking on it later today and may post what I am doing in the Food section and try to get some more footage.   My camera card is full so it needs to be gone through and uploaded or deleted.

I had a lot of different proteins that evening for our guests and people also brought some great side dishes.  Cooked some Chicken Drumsticks, Smoked sausage, a big tin of baked beans before the guests arrived along with my swamp cabbage recipe and Boiled Peanuts.  That was about ready when everyone showed and were waiting for Dan to show with my daughter.  I had the fire just low enough to keep everything warm.   After they arrived I had 32 thick Burgers to cook so on went some more wood and charcoal.
I put the Beans and Pot of Peanuts on the side tops and proceeded to cook. ;D
The Sausage and Chicken were on that grill a total of 4 hrs. but so, so good.
The Burgers cooked rather quickly because of the high heat and everything came together really nice.
When it it was time to eat the drumsticks didn't make it to the house as everyone was gathered out back for some games and the firepit.
They were incredible.  Everything else was good also.
When I was done the Peanuts went back on for later in the evening.
Pulled them off about 3 hours later and they were a big hit. :)

This video is of the previous Thursday when I got the grill fired up and cured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXbPmOdixCA&feature=youtube

Norm

Magicman

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 05, 2012, 11:19:26 PM
and also a feature to bake MagicMans Drum Chicken by laying steel bars across the top.

You will really have to seal the top up tight and allow only a very small amount of draft to keep from having "Crisped Chickin".   :o   

I really like your Pavilion, firepit, and and everything else in it.   smiley_thumbsup

SwampDonkey

Looks like a good hot fire going. Where's the chicken? I didn't view the Vid. ;)

Mooseherder

Thanks Guys! :)
Here is the finished picture except for some more stain and the center table and the Pizza oven. :D
I bought some steel bars with predrilled holes just in case for the Drum Chicken.
They are a nice fit across the top of the inner brick.
I'll have to come up with some fabrication for a top.
I'm also pondering making the Oven work off of propane and or Wood Coals.
How hard is it to make a safe rig that I could drill pipe for this and then buy some propane fittings?

LeeB

Can you weld? Use square tube. Cap the ends, drill and tap the holes for the burner fittings(I have used grease zerts with the ball knocked out for flame outlets) and a low pressure regulator, or just gut an old propane oven. You can get them for next to nothing.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

I'd go with Lee's recommendation on finding an old gas grill. Craigslist should get you lots of hits for some.

Mooseherder

I have never welded but my brothers are real good at it.
I've asked them to show me how to weld.
The problem is they're 2 thousand miles away. 
There is a guy with a sign in his front yard around here that says welding so maybe I'll check with him.
I have my Mother's old Gas stove in storage for use in my Northern Cook Shack but wil be keeping that one intact.  It is at least 50 years old because my parents bought that house when I was tree. ;D

Raider Bill

What kind of tree were you? ;D

Mooseherder

LeeB

The old gas grill would likely be cheaper and easier.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Mooseherder

I might go with new replacement parts from one of the depots.
What would I need in between the tank and the burner besides a regulator?

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on January 17, 2012, 10:02:28 AM
The old gas grill would likely be cheaper and easier.

The problem with them is normally the burners are rusted out. I used new SS replacement parts.

Mooseherder

Oh, and bricks flying in every direction from a blowout is my main concern. ::)

LeeB

I would use 1/2" black pipe. Are there any vent holes down at the bottom to keep any gas from accumulating? I shouldn't think it would be any more concern than lighting an oven. I use a high pressure ball valve on my fryer to keep the gas off till I'm ready to light it in addition to the valve on the bottle. I also use it to regulate the flame, much the same as a burner control. The whole thing is home made and probably would get me thrown in jail. It will boil 5 gal of water in just a few minutes. Sounds like a jet engine. Used a grease zert for the tip and have a piece of flat iron right above it for a target to spread out the flame. Been using it for 15 years or more.

Tdawg

Quote from: LeeB on January 17, 2012, 10:39:38 AM
I would use 1/2" black pipe. Are there any vent holes down at the bottom to keep any gas from accumulating? I shouldn't think it would be any more concern than lighting an oven. I use a high pressure ball valve on my fryer to keep the gas off till I'm ready to light it in addition to the valve on the bottle. I also use it to regulate the flame, much the same as a burner control. The whole thing is home made and probably would get me thrown in jail. It will boil 5 gal of water in just a few minutes. Sounds like a jet engine. Used a grease zert for the tip and have a piece of flat iron right above it for a target to spread out the flame. Been using it for 15 years or more.

Do you have any pics? Or would you prefer to keep them from the authorities? :D :D :D

LeeB

I'll take some pics when I get back home. I'm half way around the world from it right now.

Thank You Sponsors!