iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log yard clean up,gone bad!

Started by T Welsh, December 02, 2011, 09:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

I figured it was about time to do some clean up around the mill and yard in general,lots of slab wood and saw dust and bark. used the tractor instead of the skid steer this time and forgot about the old concrete foundation just below the surface of the ground where I have the mill set up.Well I found it with the grapple and it won!!!

Spent 6 hrs grinding,welding and fabricating to get it back together. But got the little girl all back together and ready to go back to work  ;D The next time I wont clean so good :D Tim

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

logboy

Oops.  I know the feeling.  I just found that the last big log  I put on the trailer (4000#) put a nice curve in all the cross members.  Looks like I'll be doing some straightening.  At least it didnt kink the axles. It wouldnt be work if we didnt break something in this business. Why do we do this again?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

WH_Conley

I snapped a fork on a 21000 lb backhoe the other day too. So far, no replacement.
Bill

thecfarm

That's too bad. Like I say I did not buy it to look at it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Some days your better off staying home playing with the cat,especially when its real cold.At least you can repair things yourself mate,what if you had to send it out. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

T Welsh

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 03, 2011, 06:35:13 AM
Some days your better off staying home playing with the cat,especially when its real cold.At least you can repair things yourself mate,what if you had to send it out. Frank C.
Your right bandmiller, It pithed me off,but its my fault for letting it go to far in the first place(it was already cracked) >:(,all it did was cost me extra time to weld it back together ;D The day before this happened was a day from He--. every thing I touched broke. I stopped touching stuff that day. Tim

Ironwood

I would just be glad the tractor was that strong to do that damage. Wish my tractor was that powerful.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DeepWoods

Wish I had a tractor with a grapple to see if I could break it.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

T Welsh

Well its done  :)

She has all her teeth back. chased all the cracks and welded them back up and then added a 4"x 1/4" flat stock to the bottom and welded it to the frame from both sides

This should keep it together ;D  Tim

logboy

Your grapple is stronger than mine on the Bobcat.  I bent the upper teeth cleaning up tornado damage this summer. Dragging 8,000# trees does that apparently. I might weld up some reinforcements on them.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

T Welsh

Quote from: logboy on December 03, 2011, 01:54:05 PM
Your grapple is stronger than mine on the Bobcat.  I bent the upper teeth cleaning up tornado damage this summer. Dragging 8,000# trees does that apparently. I might weld up some reinforcements on them.
logboy,Its a phirana,It usually spends most of the time on the skid steer.I have welded this one up twice now,ripped the top clamp right off doing the same thing you did.I buy one every other year at auction and get rid of the old one at half price. I have not replaced this one yet,and it has cost me about a day and a half in welding repairs to it. the next one I buy I will weld bracing where I know it will break before I put it in action ;D. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!