iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Up a stump

Started by Kevin, January 31, 2004, 04:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Jerry Beraneks crew removing a redwood stump on a line clearance job on the west coast...

Taken from the CD A Tree Story

Jeff

I wonder what they do with it? There has got to be a market for those redwood blocks you would think
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Jeff;
JerryB spent years documenting and photographing his career on the west coast.
The CD is really interesting, he goes on to tell how the power company just cut and drop everything under the lines year after year until there was a forty foot high debris field you had to crawl through or over when the lines came down and required service.
He spent the better part of ten years cleaning up the entire mess only to have them let him go and go back to their old methods.
It's exactly the same with Bell Canada here, very short term gains by not maintaining the lines..
Sooner or later someone will have to clean it up and pay ten times the cost.

Jeff

So why do you figure the stump would have to go? access down a powerline or sumpthin?

East_West_Dan

They might be making shingle bolts. There are a few mills around here making them out of stump wood which can be cheap.

Dan

Kevin

From what I understand the redwood is notorious for regenerating off an existing stump... in multiples.

Ron Wenrich

I did some work for power companies on their lines.  All the timber is taken to the side of the right-of-way and it is the landowners, not the power company's, unless the power company owns it.  

Why couldn't they poison the stump?  Or is mowing more of an option?  Doesn't seem to be very cost effective.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

shopteacher

Sounds like your stumped, Ron? :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SwampDonkey

HI:

I don't know anything about redwoods. But, I do know that when we worked the Queen Charlottes there were folks that would hire a heli to lift 1 m3 stacked cedar and yellow cypress shake blocks. They were fetching $800 a m3 at that time. The wood was from older logging sites 10 - 15 year old cuts with alot of waste wood on site. In the 1980's there was a tremendous amount of log waste on sites which spawned huge controversy with the tree huggers.

Now they have 3rd party audits on logging sites to check for residue and waste %. I have done these surveys myself and they are quite thorough marking every peice of wood in about a 12 m radius. We'de even go through slash burn piles and we'd measure stump heights as well. I remember finding one huge spruce log on one plot which would have cost the company $1000's in fines for log waste.  :o  Luckily it was near road side and we notified the woods foreman to remove it to avoid the fine. :)

Some of you BC loggers must be aquainted with residue and waste surveys.  ;)

regards
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Scott

This is kind of off topic but I don't think anyone will mind too much. If you were building a logging road and you came across a tree or stump that big how would you get it out? would you just have to go around it? Would a dozer handle that or would you have to blow it out?

SwampDonkey

HI Scott

If it was too big to move, it got blown up. They had blasting equipment where ever they built road in the north coast. They even blasted whole red cedar at the stump that had strong spiral grain well the tree fallers were fellin. This was done because when you saw a massive tree with spiral grain it can explode on the stump before entirely sawn through. It became a WCB regulation.

Spiral grain   ///////////   . If you cruised timber on the coast it was a quality call. You looked at the last 1 meter of the first 5 m bolt. You divided that 1 meter into 10 equal verticle sections and depending on how many sections the grain passed vertically left to right you made the call based on this. For example: if the grain passed through 3 vertical sections it was called a code 3.

sections divided like this:
Left edge->| | | | | | | | | | |<-Right edge of bole at last meter
                |                 |
                |                 |
                |                 |
                |                 |

The higher the code, the worse the spiral grain. But I think they dropped that quality call in recent years. In the interior I know they never did spiral grain calls. Very subjective stuff :)

regards

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

QuoteThen all of a sudden a roar as loud as crack of thunder filled the canyon and the trees in front of us fell over like bowling pins.
 All the chunks crashing down hill sounded like a train had derailed and was piling up its cars down there!

7 feet in diameter at 150 feet up! ... can you imagine?  ;D

SwampDonkey

Huge!!!  :D  and very dangerous stuff. I wonder if he had an escape when the tree slipped and struck the knotched felling platform :)

Kevin

Jerry has a cast on his broken leg in that picture.  :D

That tree to his back is a sucker that grew from the same stump.

The CD is incredible!

Jeff

Does Jerry have a website where you can order his CD?

Kevin

Here it is here Jeff... http://www.atreestory.com/
At $18 bucks delivered it's cheaper than dirt and packed full of good solid entertainment.

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Oregon_Rob

7 feet in diameter at 150 feet up! ... can you imagine?  ;D

No, I can't %%#$% imagine! WOW!
Chainsaw Nerd

Jeff

I think its pretty cool that Jerry has given Kevin permission to post some of the pictures from the CD for us to see. Kevin do you think we could get him to come tell us a story or two?

SwampDonkey

Look at the huge bunch knots on that sucker  ::)

Tom

He has a 1/2 ton GMC pulling it over.  The next shot probably shows it trying to get out of the way :D

SwampDonkey

Hang on Jerry.  ;D  When that top breaks free of the main trunk, logdes in the tree canopy and rolls back into the trunk, its gonna sling you like a marble exiting a sling shot.  :o

regards

Stephen_Wiley

The pic, Kevin has shown along with a series of them has been printed on the front cover of Bailey's catalog  a couple of times along with the story. Most recent was 1995 Summer Catalog

They are also included in his book : "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work" G.F.Beranek, ISBN 0-9654167-1-2

In the above pic, his climbing partner Keith Anker is behind the tree parallel to Jerry (his saw can be seen in the above pic). The potential hazards to the climbers (including the photographer Charley Pottorff) are exemplified in the article.

Both Jerry and Keith are tied into the tree behind the fall, where Charley is tied into a tree adjacent to them praying the top falls to lay !!!!

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Tillaway

I cut a spruce stump that size out of a guys yard once.  I was running a 50" bar, the stump was a good 80" or 90" on the last rounds.

The cedar rats on the Washington coast cut stumps like that whenever they can find them for shake bolts.  The same thing is done in California as well.  Only in California though you must have a at least a class"B"  Licensed Timber Operator operation on an approved salvage exemption.  In Washington you just need a saw.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Kevin_H.

Aint no way, no how, I dont care that it is a freebee, not going to do it. I dont think you could even talk me into standing on the platform, let alone try to drop the tree. nope, nadda, never gonna happen my friend.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Thank You Sponsors!