iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic thoughts?

Started by treefarmer87, December 02, 2011, 06:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

any thoughts on this winch? mine has given me nothing but trouble :( it wont work again. the center is leaking where the 4 allen screws are :( 
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ed_K

TreeFarmer,I pulled that part out,taped the hole to 1/4npt,drilled a hole thru the cover in line with the center of shaft added a 4" 1/4 threaded pipe and a $70. live swivel from the autoparts store and haven't had any problems since.
I just redid the controler with 2 line lock master brake cylinder's and have the taylor running again.
Now if it would either dry up or freeze I could cut some big w/pine.Oh,better $ mbf would be nice also   
Ed K

mad murdock

Like Ed K says, modify the clutch cover side to accept a live swivel, and go to work. Trying to use the banjo style fitting they used as original equipment is the cause of many a headache.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treefarmer87

i will try that tomm. when i go work on it :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

Hi, treefarmer87,  my S8  had a 119 Gearmatic, every time it got cold out it would leak brake fluid, it ran out the little hole on the bottom of the small center cover. I'd fix it, in about a week, it started leaking again. I'd buy a hand full of the neoprene [ plastic like seals] then at -20,-30 it started to pee like a race horse [It had to be fixed right, enough of the horse play]

Mr. Ed_K  has been there, he fixed it right

I didn't have the tools to drill & tap it out, i took the piece off the winch [round Brass piece [ picked up a live Swivel ] then i took it to my machinist . I all so had to modify the cover so it wasn't exposed to the element.
I remember it was left hand threads.

I used a Gearmatic Wench 28 yrs, the main thing is to keep it dry, When it was damp out the wife would hook to a tree, run the line out all the way, put in neutral and ride the brake while she was wenching in, slip the heck out of it, do this until it worked good,  get-er warmed up for the day, about the same thing she needed some days,  :D
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer87

mine is leaking in the same place :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ed_K

Let that weep hole plug up and see what happens.I baked the clutch bands in the oven covered in kittylitter while rita was at church  ;D.
Ed K

John Woodworth

Replace the roto seal, Garrett pt. no, 51181- U Cup seal. comes stock with one installed, put two back in place. Unhook your hadroulic line from controler to the roto assembley, remove the 4 allen head bolts Roto gland and remove the gland and you will see the seal. Be sure to insrall the seals lip toward the winch. The seals are cheap.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

lumberjack48

I never tried putting 2 seals, if this stops it from leaking, its a easy fix.

I put about 10 seals in mine, in about 2 months, i got tired of it, so i put the live swivel on, never had a problem after that.

I had run my 119 6 years before this problem started, theres always a reason for a failier of a part.
The reason mine started leaking again after about a week was because the main shaft was bent. With the cover off i could see a little wobble.
I did this pulling on trucks, i think i can remember the day. I had a hard pull, i chained the skidder to a tree, i had a 3/4 line on, I'd hold the Detroit full pedal and kill the motor, this is foolishness, you know how we get some times.   This was with my power shift, if it would have been the Treefarmer in first gear the motor isn't going to die, your going to break something, you hope its the mainline.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!