iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln w/ aux heater dry!

Started by Kelvin, January 31, 2004, 02:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Well, after continuing to feed the furnace all the wood, except the wood where i pulled the test lumber from, in both kilns is dry.  I think the temps were simply not hot enough for long enough.  I will plug the lines to one kiln and only run one kiln on the furnace.  peak temps of 90 just won't dry lumber in less than 5 weeks from green.  It makes sense.  One thing is weird.  The lumber on the bottom appears over dry, 4% or so, while at the top some are registering 20%.  I believe the baffle arrangement kept the air stream off these boards, but why the dicrepency?  Wouldn't the overall temps keep the whole kiln the same?  Will the overdry stuff pose any problems, or will it be fine as its stored and regains moisture?  Thanks to all for the suggestions and the encouragement.  Too low of temps.  My conclusion.  Next load is ready to go!  I bet i can dry in 2 weeks from air dry 18% or so to 6%.  Doesn't sound like i'm over doing it at that speed, and it will cool down at night.  We'll see what happens!

HORSELOGGER

My experience with certain hardwoods, especially oak, is that it will get down to a certain level, say 12 percent, and just sort of park there. The only way to sweat out that last bit of bound water is by turning up the heat. Once it is at that moisture level, it can take alot of heat without degrade. I would be surprised if you can go from 18 to 6 in a couple of weeks, considering your results thus far. Good luck.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Thank You Sponsors!