iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laying Tile on a smooth cement floor that has a sealer

Started by sbishop, December 01, 2011, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi guys, we are in full reno's here at home base. Wife lost her garage to a rec room!  ;)

The new entry way is about 9x9 area that will be tiled. i'm ready to install them but i thought i would ask about installing tile on smooth concrete that has a sealer that was sprayer on for protection 6 years ago (kinda shiny.

Should i rough up the cement in that area? if so, can i use my 7" grinder with a cement disk on it?

thanks for any input!

Sbishop

Raider Bill

How about a stripper?  smiley_gorgeous

If your Wife doesn't like that idea then I would either etch the sealer or do some grinding. Your tile bond will only be as good as what you stick it too.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Paper Maker

I've got nearly the same problem. But mine has 6 year old paint on it. I hope you get a reply.

sbishop

Raider Bill, you have my attention.... :D

The sealer was just something the concrete guy spayer on the cement when it was curing, but i'm afraid its too smooth!

isawlogs

Raider you crack me up  :D

Score the ciment before putting down your tile, you and da wife will appreciate it down da road. Using the grinder with very coarse grit would work , I would use a 36 grit and go for it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

D Hagens

Use a modified thin set, no need to strip the sealer :)

Paper Maker, strip the paint and then clean the concrete with paint thinner.

Raider Bill

Quote from: D Hagens on December 01, 2011, 12:59:09 PM
Use a modified thin set, no need to strip the sealer :)

Paper Maker, strip the paint and then clean the concrete with paint thinner.
Yep stripper
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don_Papenburg

Yep you can't beat a good stripper ,well you should not beat a stripper.
Def. clean the cement . If you have any cracks in the tile area use a crack isolator (like  Noble Seal  CIS ) Then use a modified thinset.   Adheasives do not stick as well.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sbishop

I decide to rough things up a little with a grinder....worked out good except for just a little bit of dust...well maybe more then a little bit... ::)

I had the area sealed off with plastic and tape....dust was still everywhere.

Paper Maker

I don't know why I didn't think of using paint stripper. I had some old spray on stripper in smiley_idea the shed. Was going to try it out this morning but it had lost its repellent. I'll get my wife to get some this weekend. Thanks Marcus   

Thank You Sponsors!