iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Cookies

Started by Bill Gaiche, November 30, 2011, 09:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

A friend needed some 36"+ or- Hackberry cut into cookies for table tops.My saw only opens 27". Called Paul Case to see if he could cut them, he said bring them up. Today we hauled them up to his EZ-Boardwalk mill. Paul and his country boy ways was able to set these big chunks of wood on his mill and saw 4" cookies with ease. His clamp system was unique. He can tell you about that. The tree had 57 rings. Wood varied 32" to 40" in dia. Made 17 cookies. Enough for all the neighbors in friends area. Frend was pleased. Thanks Paul. bg

WDH

I was thinking about having pie, but now I think that I want a cookie!

Very nice.  Love the pics  8).  Isn't the Forum great?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Yes the FF is great. Lets me be able to make friends and for that example through that find someone to help me out with a project that you cant handle plus a thousand other reasons.bg

redbeard

Those will be some nice looking table tops!I like the spalt or stain the Hackberry has.  Also nice job of cutting cookies PC!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bandmill Bandit

I cut about 6 Cookies this fall. My first ones. a bout 3 of mine have a Buffalo head in them.
Those look pretty nice. Kind a looks like a hawk or an osprey coming out of the water with a fish to me.

Is there a way to keep them from splitting? will get some pics of mine in the morning.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bill Gaiche

Keeping them from splitting, probably not. This is all new to me. bg

paul case

No matter what the picture looked like, most of those cookies had a maple leaf shaped center. They were nice to cut and the ol mill made it easy.
It was good to see Bill again and meet one of his friend/neighbors to boot. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: paul case on November 30, 2011, 10:49:50 PM
No matter what the picture looked like, most of those cookies had a maple leaf shaped center. They were nice to cut and the ol mill made it easy.

I knew it! Those is Canuck trees.  ;D
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Good to see you two guys together and I see that Paul even let you push.  Who cooked  ???

Nice looking cookies !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

That ole mill sure cuts through easy. One little pinky to push it through. PC done most of the cookin. bg

Al_Smith

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on November 30, 2011, 10:48:34 PM
Keeping them from splitting, probably not. This is all new to me. bg
Maybe so .About 8-10 years ago I cut some table top cookies from a 54" soft maple .I drowned them both sides with anchor seal .As of two years ago ,the last I saw them they had not split .

kelLOGg

About 8-10 years ago I cut some table top cookies from a 54" soft maple .I drowned them both sides with anchor seal .As of two years ago ,the last I saw them they had not split .
[/quote]

Interesting. Are the table tops still sticky from the treatment? What kind of mill? Chainsaw?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Magicman

As many cookies that were made, it they split one could be used as a sacrificial cookie to repair the others.  Replace that piece of the pie.   ;)

What happens with my cookies.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

If I had a cookie like that I would toss it in the stove. ;D ;D

I told Bill and George that they had all my equipment confused when they left. We had to use my chainsaw to trim one  a little and it was the first board I ever cut that way with my chainsaw, and they had me cutting firewood with my sawmill. There may not be any of my stuff know what it is supposed to do today!

Tossed cookies :D   PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

customsawyer

Great job guys. That is one of the things I love about this forum is the people you meet and that we all try to help each other.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Quote from: paul case on December 01, 2011, 08:34:07 AM
If I had a cookie like that I would toss it in the stove.  PC 

If you had looked to the right as we crossed the bridge, you would have seen it propped against a tree.  Oh I forgot, you were providing ballast about that time.   :D

Bill Gaiche

PC, I think your mill needed a break from all those logs you had been cutting to cutting vertical. She will be ok, just give her a cookie once in a while and watch her smile. bg

terrifictimbersllc

Many years back I spent the day sawing up some "free" WO logs for myself, on shares with the owner.  During the day I felt deep down I should have just said no, that I didn't need the wood, and might not use it.  Overall I wasn't having that much fun that day.   In the early afternoon a car slowed down, the window went down and the woman driving said something like "that's just amazing how you're cutting such nice firewood".   ;D ;D ;D  :o :o :o   I still have that QSWO in my back yard!   ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

''Ballast''
Said like a true conversationalist. Quit it you are stressing my auditory comprehension. :) :D ;D   PC
pc

Axe Handle Hound

You can soak those cookies in PEG (polyethylene glycol) to keep them from cracking.  It's a bit expensive to get enough to cover pieces that size, but it does work. 

beenthere

Axe Handle
Do you have experience with PEG?

We'd like to hear about it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Quote from: kelLOGg on December 01, 2011, 05:19:15 AM
  Interesting. Are the table tops still sticky from the treatment? What kind of mill? Chainsaw?
Bob
No it dries about like wax .The cookies which were 4 inchs thick were cut with a Mac 125 and a 48" bar .It took four people to lift them .

I must have cut about a dozen one day but the only one I know for sure what happened to it belongs to a friend .Unfortunately he suffered a stroke so it's unlikely anything ever gets done with it .

Ironwood

PEG is for open grained woods only, ash, soft maple (hard wont penetrate), red oak, etc,...... Better it is done with the wood fresh cut, water has to carry to PEG INTO the cells/walls, wetter the better. Best if done in a "heated" vat, CANNOT be metal (stainless will work though), kiddie swimming pool works. Super saturate your water and heat it, 120 degrees or so (can use flaoting stock tank heater I believe, I have external contact heater for my stainless vat). The desity of the mix will decline the more wood you saturate, meaning the super saturated solution will get less and less dense as you do more slabs, so you will need to add more flakes.

It is NOT easy to apply ANY finish after treatment. PErhaps some of the newer water cured stuff would be better. I did extensive R and D a few years ago

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!