iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling Timber in East Texas

Started by smitty80, November 30, 2011, 01:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty80

I'm new!

selling timber in east texas
« Sent to: smitty80 on: Today at 12:58:07 pm » ReplyQuoteDeletePlanning to sell timber on roughly 35 acres.  Any idea of what price I can expect on Pine Saw Timber per ton?  Will a mill tell a non logger this info. if I call?  Just want to make sure I get a fair bid.  They probably give themselves a nice padding from the quote to err in there favor.  I suppose the bid would be negotiable.

Also planning to replant pine and wondering if they get rid off all stumps prior to planting or is that my responsibility?

mad murdock

Welcome smitty80 to the forestry forum.  Have you been working with a forester on your timber sale?  If not, I would suggest you consult with one.  There should be a county forester, or maybe an extension service provided through your county extension.  Not sure how it works in Texas.  A fellow texan and forumite, TexasRanger, or your near neighbor WDH, may be able to give you better info, I am sure they will be along soon with some good advice.  As far as stumps go, any tree farm I have been involved with, you just leave them be, they will take care of themselves before the next crop of trees is ready to harvest, plus it adds to the nutrient base for the reprod stand.  I think that taking out stumps would cause much more damage with soil disruption/machine compaction than just leaving them be.  Then again, ask the forester, I won't pretent to be one.  Just a fellow tree farmer here in the PNW.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum smitty80.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jueston

welcome to the forestry forum! 8)

i will just echo the advice of talking with a forester, selling timber is his business and he will be able to get you the best money he can for it...

WDH

Sawtimber prices are low.  Chip-n-saw was selling for about $13 - 15/ton and plyllogs logs for about $28 - $30/ton the last time that I sold any in East Texas, but that was almost two years ago.  Prices have not gone up I suspect; more likely they might have gone down with the effect of the devastating drought on pine timber.  From what I hear, there is a bunch of dead pine timber in East Texas. 

If you have not done this before, it is better to get a Forester to handle it for you so that you do not get surprised and disappointed.  Many people do not understand timber harvesting and logging. 

The loggers cut the trees, delimb them, load the logs, and leave the tops, limbs, stumps, etc.  If you plan to re-plant, you will have to do some sort of site preparation prior to planting.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Gday

And First Off Welcome to The Forum Smitty80 You have come to the rite place  ;) ;D 8)

The Boys have given you good advice with logging like they said just leave the stumps down here we also windrow all the trash as we go but dont worry about the stumps then burn off  n Deep rip the site with a D4 to D9 depending on the site

With your timber is it Drought stressed and looking a little tired or has it just got to a size where you think its worth turning it over and starting a new crop  ??? ???

As with Danny (WDH) theres been abit of talk of alot of dying timber in East Texas along with afew large fires and are there any real plans to utilise it as it would be a shame to see it go to waste  :o :) :( :'( Id like to know abit more about whats going on there as I might have to look at heading overthere and doing abit of milling as its only 7 & 1/2 hours from Mobile but it would all be going into Export Cants with me as I think it would be a good  market for pine where you would get decent return depending on how the local market is  but they want Volume and consistency at the rite price but I have the contacts for that ;):)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Texas Ranger

Welcome to the forum, as an east Texas forester I might be able to comment. 

I have a small tract up for sale now, the average prices in Aug as advertised were $24 a ton for logs, $5.50 a ton for pulp, and $8.99 per ton for chipandsaw.  This is from a bi-monthly report from the Texas Forest Service.   I have two bids on the tract I am working on, one is twice the other.  The best bid to date is $1.00 per ton for pulp, $6.00 per ton for chipand saw, and $16.00 per ton for 9" tops.  This is stumpage, not mill gate.

Both bidders found approximately 30 loads of timber.  One bid was $3500, the other $7500.  My cruise shows a similar cut, for approximately $10,000.  This tract has 50% of its standing stems dead from the drought.  It is not an average tract by any means.  And the price, obviously, has some wild swings.

What it shows is each tract is different, and the price can swing on a weekly, if not daily, basis.  Texas logging and milling is still cutting fire killed and drought killed timber at a reduced rate.  The theory being, sell for what you can get rather than lose it all.  Consequently, the price is heavily discounted for average timber and small land owners.

Prices are slightly higher in north east Texas, but not much.  I would be curious as to what part of the state your in.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

smitty80,welcome to the forum. Get a Forster involved. Yes,it will cost you a little,but better than costing you a lot because you don't know the market.Don't be in a big rush. You have to look at this lot for years to come. Don't need a big mess left on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

smitty80

I appreciate the advice.  I will definitely use a forestry consultant.  I have talked both with the Texas Forestry Service and a consultant.  Information both provided clearly suggest this would more than pay for itself.  According to the Forestry Service they are seeing anywhere from 25-100% higher profit by using a consultant, especially since I am not in the area where land is located.  In additon, from the management of timber perspective, this would be the best move also.

As for replanting.  Texas Forestry Service said approval for cost share could result in 75% of cost covered and 25% I would pay.  Could take up to a year to get approval, but sounds worth it.  My thoughts are to hire consultant, get management plan, get best price for timber, cut, then await the approval and cost share for replant.

Location is far east Texas.  Jasper, Newton area.

Texas Ranger

You will pay income tax on the 75%.  There is no free ride.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

smitty80

Didn't think about the taxes.  However, still beats paying 100%. 

Thanks

Ron Scott

It appears that you are on the right track to getting the job done in a professional manner.
~Ron

mattox51

Quote from: smitty80 on November 30, 2011, 01:05:09 PM

I'm new!

selling timber in east texas
« Sent to: smitty80 on: Today at 12:58:07 pm » ReplyQuoteDeletePlanning to sell timber on roughly 35 acres.  Any idea of what price I can expect on Pine Saw Timber per ton?  Will a mill tell a non logger this info. if I call?  Just want to make sure I get a fair bid.  They probably give themselves a nice padding from the quote to err in there favor.  I suppose the bid would be negotiable.

Also planning to replant pine and wondering if they get rid off all stumps prior to planting or is that my responsibility?
Hey Smitty,
I would love to speak with you about your many options. Feel free to contact me anytime so we could get you the prices you need. 

livemusic

You might be waiting awhile, mattox, that thread is 8 years old lol!
~~~
Bill

Jeff

Yup,  a topic that was started by someone that should have been deleted because they were only here to try and sell timber answered perhaps by someone 8 years later that may only be here to try and buy it.  Interesting.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!