iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

large chop saw.. info needed

Started by shelbycharger400, November 29, 2011, 10:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

a friend of mine has one that was an amish built.  20 something inch blade ect.. gas motor and the head with blade slides out.

currently i have 2, 29 inch blades (tractor buzz saw blades) one is rip pattern (triangle tooth) , other is the standard cross cut with staggar,  i have 2 . 25's as well, and the 2 inch bar arbor ect. and a short belt, and a tensioner idler ect. the blades are heavy and thick.. came off the guys 1940's deere he had.
anyone built one ? id like to see a few before i build this one.     

i want to chop some end grain 10 in dia logs... for a floor idea.  chain saw just isnt goin to cut it... i dont want to sand that much.  i have thought about a chain saw attachment..but i think that will be a pta .  i think my buddy bought is giant chop saw for 5k ,,,so their is resale if its done right

Cedarman

What about using a bandmill and putting short sections of log vertically and locking it in?  I have done that with cedar logs to make clock rounds.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kansas

We have done it a number of times as well. I would be curious what your floor idea is.

Ironwood

Just make a jig for a bandmill to hold them and slice them true after rough chainsawing. I made a jig, but dont have a picture, but it is just a HEAVY steel plate that spans one of the bays of the bunks. So heavy it doesnt need bolted or tied down. Has a method for dogging a fairly small piece. I just lopped off some sort of turn of the century HARD African wood that was used for a stamping station in a steel mill (24" tall 22" round log section) Was used for manual stamping of something (you could see the letters and #'s imprints left behind). 

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shelbycharger400

bandmill would work, but currenly .. the chain bar slab mill...is almost done, it would do it i believe.. but not as fast as a chop saw. i also have a belsaw..that im going to modify so it can clamp 4 ft logs instead of 6ft. what  i like about buddys chop saw is that he puts in 6x6 up to 12x12 square timbers  in the 8 ft long range.... and cuts them to length for timber frame construction. which... when im running..i could sell cut timbers direct to him.

the floor im thinking about is cutting cookies at 1 to 1 1/2 thick.  glue them down, chocolate brown epoxy around the outside of the cookies, then several layers of clear epoxy over the top .  the cedar i have is particilar to this idea, lots of buldges ect, and dark purple!

Thank You Sponsors!