iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craigs list shut down

Started by Bandmill Bandit, November 29, 2011, 01:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/11/29/canadian-fans-of-free-cla_n_1118871.html

Not sure how wide spread it is at this point but seems like it may be pretty wide spread.
Another sign of the times as far as the use of well intentioned online businesses in committing cyber crime is concerned.

Breaking news as of last night and today and i dont know how much is real and how much is speculation but we will get a some what less muddy view of the next few hours/days I am sure
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

beenthere

Ours locally is still up, latest ad posted about 3 minutes ago.

Looking at recent articles, apparently a Canada thing. CL shutdown due to a hack by a website that posted automated messages.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tomsteve

just went to cl canada and it was up. up here in michigan too.

Bandmill Bandit

Up here now too.

Different domain syntax though.

and still going in a circle that wont let you into the actual ad pages.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Onthesauk

Craigslist problems being a Health and Safety issue? :D  I know I'm addicted but not that bad. :)
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

AvT

CL is not all that popular here yet.  There are only a few listings per day for this region but nevertheless I was curious after reading this post and spent most of the morning reading articles and watching videos of the story behind the site and found it all quite interesting.  I have yet to figure out how they generate cash,,, I see no paid advertising but are the realestate and job listings paid or somthing?... I don't get it.

The most amazing thing is they only have like 30 emloyees and are the (edit- one of the biggest) biggest sites on the internet
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

easymoney

craigslist is alive and well here. i have also wondered how they make money. i have not seen any signs of paid advertising. there are some sleazy places on craigslist that should be eliminated. like the personal ad cites. :o

AvT

I copied and pasted this from the cragslit FAQ page,,,, interesting:

Q: How does craigslist support its operations?
A: Ad fees for jobs in 18 cities, brokered NYC apartments, and therapeutic services.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Al_Smith

Now you're not going to believe this but I found a metal lathe 3000 miles from where I live for a guy on Vancoover Island who was looking for one .He didn't know about Craigs list but I did. ;)

sawguy21

Just checked in, it is up and running again. I have been keeping an eye on it to get an idea of the market regarding travel trailers but usually find a lot of crappola,  tried to sell some camera equipment on cl but only got tire kickers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

AvT

kijiji is a lot better here than craigs list

beenthere

Don't understand how one can be "better" than the other ??

More listings maybe?

The printed classifieds have about dried up around here due to the high activity in CL.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AvT

yes many many many more listings for this area

shelbycharger400

craigslist or gregs alearts...     i get A LOT of spam due to some postings... its possible they sell your email?

SwampDonkey

Yes, kijiji is way more popular in Canada. I even see brush saws on there about anytime I search. I don't use it, but look around.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

florida

Craigs List makes money by charging $25.00 for each car or real estate ad placed in 6 large American cities. Don't remember exactly but probably, NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Atlanta and Philly.

Kajiji is ebay's response to Craigs List but in most markets no one knows it's there. Ebay also now owns 25% of Craigs List.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Piston

I've never heard of Kajiji. 

I'll check that out, and I hold all those who mentioned it personally responsible when I get in trouble for buying more 'stuff' that I don't need!  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

One time I even found an old horse drawn bobsled and it was about 45 minutes from here.

This fall, someone stole some skiis from a garage in Fredericton, NB. The owner had the serial number and reported the lost skiis and the cops found the skiis advertized on Kajiji, it was a teen that stole the skiis. Busted. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 02, 2011, 09:49:10 AM
One time I even found an old horse drawn bobsled and it was about 45 minutes from here.

This fall, someone stole some skiis from a garage in Fredericton, NB. The owner had the serial number and reported the lost skiis and the cops found the skiis advertized on Kajiji, it was a teen that stole the skiis. Busted. :D

SD,

Did the horse use charcoal or pastel's when he drew that bobsled?

And how did Bob like the drawing of his sled?

Sorry, just can't help myself sometimes...  :D

Herb

SwampDonkey

I seem to be an easy target of late.  ::)

AvT

Quote from: Piston on December 02, 2011, 07:28:10 AM
I've never heard of Kajiji. 
I'm not sure there is a USA version of kijiji,,, everywhere i read it says it is a canadian thing

nas

Yes I believe Kijiji is a canehjun thing eh.  I find it a lot more user friendly than CL.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Piston

When I googled Kajaji it came up with ebay classifieds and let me browse through different categories in my area. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

D Hagens

CL moves fast here, lots of stuff for sale day and night. I have on average 10 or 15 ads on there at all times. I do a lot of buying and selling just about everything and anything. Average responses are 15 calls a day and about 20 e-mails.
I use kijiji as well but mainly for selling the high end stuff.
I use the buy and sell for machinery and the auto trader for cars and trucks.
These are all free to post to :)

AvT

Quote from: Piston on December 03, 2011, 04:41:02 AM
When I googled Kajaji it came up with ebay classifieds and let me browse through different categories in my area.

Ahh thats it.  if I google ebay classifieds here in canada it suggests I go to kijiji.  It tells me ebay classifieds only serves the states

Thank You Sponsors!