iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much should I Pay

Started by Korey, November 28, 2011, 04:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korey

Im about to get my fathers band mill that he purchase before he passed ten yrs ago and i'm getting the bug to run it! How much should I offer a guy I know for cherry, red oak, and ash trees that have been down a couple years in his woods?
He has already told me I can have them and we'll figure a price later.

SwampDonkey

Are they still alive or been dead? If dead and down, they will be all stained. The price drops significantly if I was the buyer. Might end up being next winter's firewood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

T Welsh

Korey,A lot depends on the condition of the logs and the type of wood and size of the logs. If you want to be fair with the man,offer him about 1/3 the price that he would get at the mill for these logs,and with out even seeing them you might be paying way to much for them.If they are more than a year old on the ground rot has already started in on them.they are worth firewood prices,might be better to barter with the man.see what he needs for them and offer something of equal in exchange.win/win. Tim

thecfarm

Korey,welcome to the forum. What kind of sawmill? Been around it before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum Korey. :) 

Trees that are suspended by the limbs and root balls may me sawable, but will still have deterioration.  Under those circumstances, I would be inclined to just offer him a portion of the lumber.  If you will have to do the "logging" certainly not more than half.

What kind of sawmill is it?  Where are you located?  If I am understanding that the sawmill has not been run in 10 years, you may have some "cobwebs" to work out.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodchuck53

Morning Korey and welcome to the pack. What ever you decide to do they (logs) will be great practice to work out the kinks. With it being down for a while and the logs possibly being hard as a rock this will be a good learning curve. Did you have the chance to work the mill with your father? That would have been real nice if you had. Be extra careful loading and transporting them if they are in any shape to cut. They will still be heavy and try to roll around on you. Proper PPE and keep the kiddies away till you get the hang of things. Enjoy the ride. We do. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe you can saw several logs on the property first then see whether you want more of the wood?  All the best in getting the mill in shape and starting sawing.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

zopi

Welome to the addiction! Once you start, you will never stop. And once word gets out that you have a mill, the wood will flow..
Those logs might not be worth much, but then, some might be spalted, or wormy or a dozen other things that a craftsman might desire...I am turning some old pecan into gorgeous cheese and bread serving trays now...wormy, spalted and curly in the same boards!
Where are you located?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Korey

Thanks for all the advice and questions! A lot of the trees that are down are off the ground directly(suspended) by branches or over low spots of the terrain and do not look rotten. The mill has been used a few times by my brother over the last 10 years, i have no idea about the quality of how it cuts. I cant remember the brand but I do remember its one I hadn't heard of it, which doesn't mean a thing because I am very new to this. My dad didn't get a chance to even see it set up, he passed shortly after he purchased it. He paid a little over 4k from what my mom can recall, it was used. Ive seriously been shopping for a new mobile mill but decided using this one for a while would make more sense. The "guy i know" is actually my brother so neither of us are to worried about payment but I wanted to get an idea of what to offer him. Addicted is right!! Thanks again everyone!

Korey

Forgot to give my location...Southern tip of Indiana. Just outside Evansville, in Fort Branch IN

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Korey smiley_beertoast. You'll have fun at the Forum.

I would maybe consider asking my Brother if he needs any other logs sawed from his place. You could kinda trade some sawing for the logs you want. Just a thought. smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redbeard

Welcome Korey looking forward too hearing more about your mill and how those logs worked out for you.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bibbyman

Quote from: Korey on November 28, 2011, 04:04:17 AM
He has already told me I can have them and we'll figure a price later.

Personally, (that is if it were my deal), I'd pass.  But since it's your brother and you want and need some place to get your feet wet sawing,  just go for it.  The only way you can lose is if you get hurt or break something.

But one thing to think about,  logs that have been cut for more than a few months tend to be a lot harder and take more time to saw than fresh cut logs.  You'll be starting out with a handicap.

Also, welcome to the Forum.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

JV

Welcome Korey, glad to see another Hoosier on board.  Just through your territory about three weeks ago on my way to pick up a drying kiln.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

MotorSeven

Korey,

Suspended trees/leaner's can be extremely dangerous to fall. They have tension built up in places you may not anticipate and rotten limbs that can break and fall as soon as you move them. Unless you are an experienced faller or have experienced help with the proper equipment I would leave them alone. I agree with Bibby, they will be dry and a pain to cut(or rotted and useless) and I would pass on them.

As far as the mill, can you post what brand it is and even better shoot some pic's of it? Without this info giving you a price is kinda like giving a haircut over the phone :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

j rock

What I've done in the past is, saw it,sort it, when it was sold, people got pad. you want to get at less 1/2 just to cover cost and time. Do'nt forget to have some fun and carefull getting that stuff down. J.
whats fun? making saw dust!!

woodmills1

log like that are worth the cost of getting them to the mill

logs like that are well worth cutting as your first logs ona a new mill

logs like that you don't want to settle up after the good stuff is cut

logs like that  ifin I say that again I am gonna break into west side I mean west log story.......... :P :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

logs like that will kill your brother
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Coon

:D Westside.  :D  What about da nortside?  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!