iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for logs to mill !!!!!!!

Started by markkelly, November 27, 2011, 06:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

Northwest Ohio Area - I have LT10 woodmizer and looking for trees to mill running low on inventory- the sawdust in my blood now and all I can think and want to do is to mill. If you now of anyone let me know.

Thanks much,

Mark
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When I got my mill, I called all the tree trimmers in my county. By word of mouth, it got around I was looking for logs. Now I get logs about every other week this time of the year and weekly and sometimes daily this past summer.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Mark, the best place I've found for a log fix is small time tree service guys.Big mills don't want yard trees,the logs are too big to chip,and most have to pay to get rid of the softwood.Most of the time if you cut the tree guys some boards and truck body oak in exchange you can get all the logs you need. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kansas

This time of year, farmers are often times looking to do some dozing to expand a field, clear out a creek crossing, have a few ready to fall in the creek, etc. You might post a sign on a bulletin board at a local sale barn, local feed store, local gathering spot for farmers. You might have to give some money for them, but they often times have the equipment needed to move the logs, and they might swap out some lumber for logs. And you usually won't find tramp metal. Also construction companies that might be putting in a new bridge, road, construction project and need to remove some timber. Just try to get to all of them before they fire up the dozer or construction equipment. A few times I got called and went to discover veneer walnuts piled up in a heap, half of them busted up.

T Welsh

markkelly, Same as the others said, Tree services,city maint.dept.farmers,
ect. maybe put up a few flyers at local super market,saying your looking for free logs for the removal. but be prepared to offer money for the logs
everyone wants $. Tim

markkelly

Quote from: T Welsh on November 28, 2011, 05:57:00 AM
markkelly, Same as the others said, Tree services,city maint.dept.farmers,
ect. maybe put up a few flyers at local super market,saying your looking for free logs for the removal. but be prepared to offer money for the logs
everyone wants $. Tim

How do you figure what is a fair price ? I know you look at the quailty of the log and length and type of wood. but is there a method that you use to figure the price??????
Thanks much,
Mark
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

ForestMan

I also have a LT10.  I worked with a tree guy once, but they would cut them up too small to be any use to me.  I asked them to keep the logs longer for me, but they never did.  I allowed them to use my land as a dump site.  They really liked that, but I never got any wood over about 3 feet long.  Such a shame, because they brought over some really nice ash once. 
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Kansas

Figuring a fair price for the logs you are looking for and the volume you are looking for is difficult to say. If they are town trees, outside a rare good walnut that doesn't show metal, they won't be worth much. Out in the timber, at least around here, walnut is the only one bringing any amount of money. Oak would be next. Rest of the species, not much more than pallet price. You may have different species there that are worth a little more. Remember that you are looking for small quantities. That both works for and against you. A farmer dozing out a few acres or pushing back a field can't interest a logger. And you can't interest a logger for only a few logs. If I had to put a price on it, I would say on the Doyle scale, dozed out most species 5-10 cents, or 20-25 cents log ready at a landing. Depends on if the land owner is using his equipment to get the logs pulled out for you. Oak, figure double that on the good oak logs, the lower price on the rest. Walnut is too varied to tell. Other species in your area like hard maple or cherry, I don't know.

Beware of the landowner that calls and says.. The loggers logged out my property and left all these nice logs behind. There is a reason. I assume with an LT 10 you are trying to get furniture grade lumber. That takes good logs.

taylorsmissbeehaven

If possible buddy up with a local tree guy. I worked with three before I found one that was the right "fit" for me. These guys tend to tear up trailer decks,sides on dump trucks,ect and are happy to trade logs for the occasional fee of a few boards. I have become pretty good friends with a fellow and he cuts everything he can in links I can use and all I have to do is come to his lot and pick them up. He will even load  them for me! Most of these guys like wood and hate to see it go unused. It might take some time but you'll find a source.
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

captain_crunch

Unless you get em fer free here in PNW you are gonna have a mill fer sale in a hurry >:( Got to find a specialty market  can not saw in competion with Big Box stores.. I have 2 cabnit makers  that have me saw for them because they are on site and make the Judgement calls as far as common demtion lumber good luck. Even tho I use a Belsaw circle mill(wider kerf) they prefur me over local band mills because I Charge by bf and will waite till thr can call the shots
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

texican

If you lived in this region, you'd have zero trouble finding logs.

With the drought this year (coupled onto last years) pine trees have suffered.  I'd guesstimate a good 20% of the older southern pine has died.  Some places 50%.  A few weeks ago, before we started getting some rain, the young plantation pines were dying.  The trees are weakened, and the bugs get em.

Landowners try to sell them, find out they're only going to get 2$/ton, and figure it's not worth all the mess.  I've had several neighbors offer me all the trees I want.

Magicman

The clock is really ticking on those Pines.  If they are not sawed this Winter, most of the sapwood will be history.

I would saw 1 5/8" X a full 12", spray it with a good borax solution to prevent PPB's and sticker it.  Later, it could be reduced to whatever dimension framing lumber that you want.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!