iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ring chains vs. Ice chains.

Started by rfm7fxfox, November 27, 2011, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfm7fxfox

So just looking for people's opinions on ring chains versus ice chains (diamonds, double diamonds etc..) I personally hate ring chains! I run double diamonds on the front of my skidder and diamond and 1/2 on rear and love them, I hear a lot of discussions about the pros and cons of both and am interested to hear the opinions of my fellow forum members. Also what's with all the hype about 28l's? I've ran numerous skidders with 28l's and have never found them to work out very well for me but other people swear by them...any input?

Added info: I have 18 x 34's on my skidder.

Thanks guys..
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

Bobus2003

I personally like to use Bear Claw Ring Chains, They just seem to get better traction, but tent to tear things up worse compared to Ice chains, which for if your running the skidder on the haul road much Ice chains are nice. They bust up the ice, but don't tear up the road.

But since my brothers company bought these, and i've seen them used/ran a machine with them on.. I will get a set of these when chains need replaced. They are super easy to install as a one man show:

http://www.eco-tracks.com/ECO-Wheel_Tracks_?ptid=4748

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPGQTsXk5Y&feature=player_embedded#!

Mark K

I run ring chains on the front and ice chains on the back of my timberjack. Rings are good in the mud and deep snow but I have a hard time on frozen ground. My skidder isn't heavy enough to push them in the ground. I get around better running pics just on the front during the winter until the snow gets deep.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

snowstorm

i have that brand tracks on bolth machines. very good tire protection good in snow mud but will slide sideways on ice. not that bad to put on must have a track tightener tho i made one from a handyman jack. mine are on 6 wheel machines. and they ride good the ring chains on front dont

Ed_K

I run rings on front and single diamonds on back.when the rings are worn out it'll be picks on back too. What do those track chains cost?18.4-34s are $1900. right now and going up.the first set cost me $1200.
Ed K

Bobus2003

Not cheap, Priced a set for 30.5 x 32 tires and they were $5500 to the shop door

logloper

I bought a set of combo ring and ice chains and put them on a 518. They work great, the best of both. And they are made in the USA

IMOWOOD

I run ice chains either single or double diamonds on all my machines.  The twisted link TRYGG chains are the best I have found or the ones made by canadian chain with the U-shaped studs the other kinds tend to lay over when they hit the ground. 

I think ring chains are better on larger machines that have the weight to push them in to the ground.  I don't run them because the diamonds offer much better coverage on the tire and more side wall protection.  I think they also roll over the rocks and junk much better than rings.

I rarely see any 28L 's around here, a few on machines that came from down south have them but we run mostly the 24.5 or 23.1 size tires and 30.5's on the big machines.  the 28L's SUCK in the snow because they float and will chatter and spin which is not at all what you want in snow.  a skinny tire like you 18.4's will dig down and find grip on the frozen bottom.

redneck

I run ice diamond and a half  on the front of my skidder.  I had new ring chains on the rear for three days and found them too rough on the skidder and made a mess of the road.  I sold them for 100 dollars less then I paid.  Very happy with the ice chains
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

HiTech

I hear ice chains are hard to keep tight and wear faster than ring chains. Also less traction on non ice surfaces. I run rings front and back and they seem ok. Sometimes on hard ice roads they are a little rough and do slip some but for the most part I have no complaints. Keep the chains good and tight and they last a lot longer.

inthewoods

I have diamond & 1/2's that I think are fantastic.  got a strecher(HD backwards jack) from nortrax that's pretty slick.  Although I cheet with the log truck to install em.
We usually end up with 3 to 5 feet of snow Pac by December thru March, and about the only thing that stops me is a cliff. 
On these machines I run 23.1x 26 & 28L's on the 170.  My Mack is a Polar Prehauler military conversion 3 axel drive with 10 14.00x24 road grader tires. -same tires I have on my 3850D loader. 
Safety is my #1 priority!
Awesome wife & kids
Off grid home - Hydro Turbine+solar+wind
3 blade mill, JD 440D, Franklin 170, Mack-Polar Prehauler, Fiat 14C dozer, IH 3850D loader, F600 dump, 01 F350 crew, 93 F350 idi-9'2"V, Walter, 385xp(x2), 281xp, JET 15", Partner K700, Sachs 119&120, 2159c, Etc.

inthewoods

no problem keeping diamond & 1/2's tight.  I think a good chain installation tool is essential for the initial tightening though.  I also air my tires back up after they're on. 
In rough country with sno & ice diamonds are the way to go.
Safety is my #1 priority!
Awesome wife & kids
Off grid home - Hydro Turbine+solar+wind
3 blade mill, JD 440D, Franklin 170, Mack-Polar Prehauler, Fiat 14C dozer, IH 3850D loader, F600 dump, 01 F350 crew, 93 F350 idi-9'2"V, Walter, 385xp(x2), 281xp, JET 15", Partner K700, Sachs 119&120, 2159c, Etc.

BernieBraun

I have a bell super t, tires 23.1x26 with eco tracks.  I want to switch to ice chains.  The tires hang about 4 inches over each side of trailer.  The steel tracks touch were the steel is sloped and on the metal rails of the trailer are very dangerous.  Currently I lay rubber cow mats down to try and stop the sliding.  I bought new tires and now the eco tracks are short.  I bought some extensions and extra links and It will still not fit so the previous owner may have cut back the tracks as the tires wore down.  So now I am thinking that maybe ice chains would be better.   

any ideas on what chains would be best for my situation would be greatly appreciated.

BargeMonkey

Bernie, they make the combo chains now, rings with ice cleats welded on, personally a good set of tight rings would be the way to go, but they will still skate, better for mud than ice. Justin Smith has them in stock, I will lend you my chain jack if you needed one. 

Maine logger88

My ultra C has rings and they work well. I like ice chains on a cable skidder but on a grapple or a cutter it's hard to beat rings
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!