iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello Do you know of a good sourse of pictures of timber joints

Started by Fallguy, November 27, 2011, 03:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fallguy

Hello this my first post my name is Rob I have no timber framing knowledge so I am here to learn. I would like to say hi and I am enjoying the reading. You know what they say though a picture is worth a thousand words. I am a visual type person. Can you suggest a book or 2 that has good pictures or drawings of the most common joints and there applications? I have not found a thread on the site with this information.

Brad_bb

For your first book I'd recommend "Build a Classic Timber-framed House" by Jack Sobon.  I bought my copy used on Amazon.

Another good reference for joints is a Timberframers Guild publication called "Historic American Timber Joinery"  Also by Jack Sobon and available through the guild store at tfguild.org

Welcome!  Post your questions and there are plenty of people here who will chime in and answer them.  The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Fallguy

Thanks for the information will add to the Christmas reading list.

ballen

Fallguy,
The "Historic American Timber Joinery" is a free download at the TFG.  It is my bible...
Bill

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

losttheplot

You have already found it....

I have found the information on this board as good as, if not better than, any of the books I have read.
All the information you will need is in here somewhere, including lots of good pictures.
The search engine is your friend  ;)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

fuzzybear

Quote from: losttheplot on November 27, 2011, 08:31:51 PM
You have already found it....

I have found the information on this board as good as, if not better than, any of the books I have read.
All the information you will need is in here somewhere, including lots of good pictures.
The search engine is your friend  ;)

Just looking at Jim's gallery alone is priceless. More info in there and here than in any one book. IMHO
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

jander3

Welcome.  A few books, search of the forum, and, maybe, a class; you will be framing in no time.

Fallguy

jueston

welcome to the forum, its good to see another minnesotan. ya know....
i am no expert, but i really enjoyed everything i have read by Jack Sobon, lots of pictures and very well written. but you can find anything on the internet these days so just reading this forum and looking for free publications, like the ones at tfg will give you a good knowledge, the rest you will learn through experiance.

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Fallguy, a thing which works for me, is google images. So picture of the joints. And if it doesn't work search in black and white,  for line drawing.

Colour

Long link

Black and white.

Long link
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ljmathias

Wow, Satamax, never thought to look for pictures that way.  What a trove!  Found stuff I'd never heard of or thought of, including a dog made from mortise and tenons (I guess- at least he showed up in the search results).  I'm still drooling over some of the structures and joints there- at my age, there's no way I'll live long enough to try most of those.   >:(  But then, the fun's as much in the anticipation as in the execution   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Brian Moore

Very interesting that there is a link to my name sake doing the thing I would love to do.    www.brianmooreloghomes.com   Don't know that I would ever want to be that large/commercial.   However, it looks like they do nice work.    Or at least someone takes good photos of their work.

Piston

I've always loved the look of those Spline joints, especially with a dark colored wood as the spline and a light wood like pine as the beams. 

Welcome to the forum!   ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!