iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 372 or Stihl 441?

Started by KC8QVO, November 26, 2011, 05:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC8QVO

I'd be curious what the general consensus is here - Husqvarna 372 or Stihl 441? They are both in the ~70cc class and price is about the same. Does one have any advantages over the other? I'd rather not have a bashing session for one over the other - my opinion is the quality is there with both companies. Outside of quality, what are some of your opinions on either saw? Can you give a comparison between the two or a comparison to another saw? My use for the saw is bucking storm blown pines. I have a 55cc saw and it isn't very efficient cutting down the trunks. We have about 10 laying around our summer property and all that's been cut is enough to open up the paths again.

beenthere

Price the same and you think the quality is the same....why ask? ;)

Go for it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

Hows the dealers where you live. they are both good saws and are pretty equal. I prefer stihl,but thats me.our husky dealer is getting to be a pain in the a-- to deal with,never has anything we need and will not order until he has enough to pay shipping :o our stihl dealer will order right away and the parts are in after two business days ;D Tim

Ironwood

There is a CAN-O-WORMS.  :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

KC8QVO

:D Summer property is a 2 days drive. I can get Stihl stuff, if its in stock, same day at home. Husq next day, but just as easy. As to whats up near the property... good question. It would be better to take spares rather than be out a day getting back in the country... Chain shouldn't be an issue, but I am not "logging" up there so I'd just bring a few spare parts and be done with it. If it gets to a non-functioning saw there's always next year... Then again, 3 more trees could come down too.  >:(

Corley5

I'd prefer the 372  ;D :) but in a pinch the Stihl would do  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

Same here. I like Husky's air intake system over the Stihl.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mad murdock

I'd go for the Husky as well( no bias here ;D),  I have to say I prefer the air induction setup over stijl as well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

bill m

The only big difference between the two is weight. The 372 is 13.4 lbs. and the 441 is 14.6 lbs. It may not sound like much but carry the extra 1.2 lbs. around all day and you will notice it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

I have never used or seen them side by side,but I would lean toward dealer support.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cut4fun

Never ran the new 372xp XT  x-torq strato saw to know. Know I would take a older 372 over a 441 10 out of 10 times.
I ran a 441 and to me it was heavy, underpowered, but had nice smooth coil spring AV. Hmmm wonder where they got that idea.  :D

Cut4fun

Quote from: bill m on November 26, 2011, 09:47:49 PM
The only big difference between the two is weight. The 372 is 13.4 lbs. and the 441 is 14.6 lbs. It may not sound like much but carry the extra 1.2 lbs. around all day and you will notice it.

The NEW 372's that are strato with de-comp in top of cylinder cover are listed at 14.1lbs PHO.

KC8QVO

No one has hit on the 3 different "models" of each, in current production (new) saws. The Husq 372 is either the 372xp, 372xp-g, 372xp-w, and the Stihl 441 is either the base 441, 441c-m, or 441c-q.

If I have the features right - the Husqvarna 372XP-G has a heated handle and the regular 372XP does not. The 372XP-W has a full wrap handle whereas the base model has a flush cut. I don't need the heated handle and I am not sure I'd ever need a fancier handle. Bucking is about as basic a use for a saw as you can get.

The Stihl 441C-M has Intelligent Engine Management. The C-Q version has the secondary chain break activated by release of the throttle lock-out lever. That seems like a more useful feature than a heated handle, but any sensible saw operator can work around the chain.

Did I miss anything?

JohnG28

You did miss one thing.  The 372xpw has a slightly larger engine.  I can't remember for sure but I believe it is 74cc, so you get a little more power with the wrap handle version.  Happy saw hunting.  I don't think you can go wrong with either saw, they're both good.  Just see what you like most. :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Cut4fun

Some of the old style xpW had 74.66cc motors not all of them in the beginning were. The new strato 372 throws that idea out the door. 70.7cc only.

T Welsh

Quote from: Ironwood on November 26, 2011, 07:19:59 PM
There is a CAN-O-WORMS.  :D

Ironwood
hear we go again! OK guys its not the orange vs white orange thing its about getting the bang for the buck for KC8QVO, right! think outside the box and give him the ammo that he nneds to go buy another play toy 8)  These are both good saws no doubt, dealer back up is the next factor involved,any body come up with other reasons for swaying one way towards another! Tim

smwwoody

I have both.  I have the new and old 372s and a 441.  have owned 044s and have a 460.  I am going to buy 2 new saws this week. and they will both be 372s.  i do all of my service work myself so dealer service is not a big deal to me.  I also keep a good stock of spare parts on hand.  when i do need parts the local dealer who has husky and stihl is a real &^^$%%!! the next closest dealer only has husky and is a great guy to deal with.  I can drive about the same distance the other direction and get stihl from another great guy.  so that throws the dealer thing out the window fro me.

Dealer service should play a big part in which saw you get. 

they are both great saws.  I dont think you will go wrong with ether one.  I think the husky has one up with the air system over stihl. 

They are both so close you should try to run one of each and see which one fits you better.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

KC8QVO

Thanks for all the info. Woody - good to see another Ham out there. I have family just west of you in Lynchburg. Beautiful state.

Dealer support is really a non-issue. No problems there. I do all maintenance of my equipment myself anyways - even my truck, as long as it isn't electronic or otherwise too involved (or warranty). The only spare parts I could for-see needing are chains, perhaps an extra bar, and a spark plug. Aside from the bar I can run to the hardware store up in the North Woods and get the rest - that or the local marine supply (work on everything engine-driven).

Adam916

I have owned a lot of saws and in my opinion the best saw ever made is the Husky 372XP. I can get through a log faster with a stock 372 than a Stihl MS461 stock can and it's almost 2lbs lighter. I used my old 371 for 3 full seasons of cutting timber before the logging industry disappeared with no problems so I know there dependable. You can put a big bore kit on it and dual port the muffler for under $120 from Baileys and that really opens that saw up. Hope that helps!
Saws: Husqvarna (3)372XP, (2)575XP, 395XP, (2)141, 385XP and a Stihl 090....

superwd6

576 autotune or 441 M tronic. I,ve never ran the 372 but everybody likes the 365 to and I thought it was a dog. A 372 is old stock or new X torq without the curtousy of a new #just to make sure people still buy it. Sorry but 90% of people tell you buy Harley Davidson- 80% of people know crap about motorcycles. Why would I buy some old outdated design? ::)

JDeere

Quote from: bill m on November 26, 2011, 09:47:49 PM

What he said. 
I have had both Stihl and Husky and they are both good saws, but now I own 7 Huskys and no Stihls.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

weimedog

I have to say I've run them both and either one is awesome! I'd pick based on dealer support.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

MOwoodchopper

STIHL 084
STIHL 026 X2
STIHL 015
HUSQVARNA 372XP
DOLKITA 7900
DOLMAR 6800
DOLMAR 5105

drilldog

I have a 372xp with a ported & polished big bore kit on it and did the same to my bro-in-laws 044 mag. i like the 372xp better. either saw you pick will be good one.

shortlogger

I would go with the 372 , They are both good saws but i always want the most power with the least amount of weight.
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Thank You Sponsors!