iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bit o loggin term trivia for fun...

Started by islandlogger, November 25, 2011, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandlogger

Today I spent some time on a on/off clearing job I have, its a four acre patch cut made up of 90% White (Grand) Fir. The stand mostly choked it self out and was gettin bugs and disease in, so were clearing it out and replanting in Feb.
At any rate I got one of those "curious" passers by that ignored my warning sign and headed strait into the active area where I was busy cutting the biggest of the trees. Luckily I saw him in time and shut down to tell him off for nearly gettin pegged into the ground under several tons of wood, he excused him self and was very sorry and then cought site of some of the bigger stumps that were 4 foot plus and looking at my 066 with a three footer on it wondered how I was able to cut thru sumthin over four foot I laughed and said "O it's just a bit of Beaver Tailing" and sent him on his merry way to think about that...
So that of course got me to thinkin about our lingo and for fun thought I would post a "test" here, alot of us I know will know these terms in and out but some will learn sumthing. So here they are and the only catch is NO GOOGLE HELP  :o let's test the lingo knowledge:
Beaver Tailing
School Marm
Boom Scooter
Brow Log
Swing Dutchman
Gypsy Drum
Hayrack
Head Tree
Hobo Log
Lilly Pad
Pusher/Driver
Single-Jack
Day Lighting

This is Forestry Forum Jeapordy!!

islandlogger

mad murdock

A few that come to mind:
Barber chair
Widow maker
Gyppo
Logger's sandwich
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jueston

with my almost non-existant experiance in the forest, i didn't know a single one of the those terms islandlogger, but i do know the first two of yours murdock.... i guess i better pay attention to this thread and learn something....

thecfarm

Not many that I know,wrong side of the coast for me.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

sawguy21

I recognize a few of them, my experience is interior logging so most are foreign to me. Coastal logging is a different game entirely.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jocco

Island: i knew most of them from my fathers time. Not including tree climbing and rigging.  Sampson,  push pole and spring board. When they drove rivers  there was alot of terms too.
You may check out but you will never leave

jocco

Don't forget clefted wood (it still brings back evil memories :() For those who don't know it 4 foot  or longer split to dry and sawed to stove wood later. #3 guesses who had to split it!!!
You may check out but you will never leave

thecfarm

I remember Clifford wood or at least that's how my father always said it. When growing up he always said a man named Clifford would split wood in four foot lengths,that's why the name.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!