iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Shelter

Started by JDeere, November 25, 2011, 07:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDeere

I am curious what you guys who log in the winter use for a shelter to have lunch, warm up or work on saws. Last winter I worked NW of Rangeley, Maine, about 12 miles back in the woods, and a guy in our yard had an old beat up camper with a wood stove in in. It was probably worth $200.00 but it was at times, when it was 20 below, it was worth a couple thousand. We would get geared up in there, have lunch and dry our chaps and gloves. I am now looking for something to use this season and would love to see some photos of what you use.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

chevytaHOE5674

When I used to work in the woods my boss had an old camper like that with a wood stove in it. It was a piece of junk but was the best thing around when it was -10* and snowing and you wanted someplace to warm up at lunch or break time.

Sometimes the wood stove would get it soo hot in that little trailer that we would have the windows and doors open just so that you wouldn't sweat to death in it.

Holmes

On my farm is an old shed 8'x 14'. I was told that back in the 30's the shed was a loggers cabin they would drag from place to place. It has enough room for a stove and 4 bunks.  It was turned into a milk storage shed in the 40's and is now my tools shed.
Think like a farmer.

rockman

Most guys in the Adirondacks use old school bus's, back in the 70's the guy I worked for had an old bread truck made into a trailer we used, it sure was nice to have a warm dry place to have lunch on those cold winter days.
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

chain

Dad had some old [1950s] photos of a slab-cabin that two horse-loggers built and stayed in when logging for over a year. East Ozarks of Missouri. I remember the 'coonskin hides in the photos, the hides tacked and stretched upon the slab-siding and also a corral which appeared made from white-oak poles.

Fifty or more yars later, near the same location of the slab cabin I sawed out some timbers and made a timber framed[ 6"X6" timbers] shed about 10' x 14' & pine siding, first roof was sawn out lathing treated but didn't last long. I added rolled-roof later, the east end was left open but was a good shelter for whatever the occasion. I wanted everything to look more or less natural. :)

fuzzybear

I've used a wall tent for many years until I built a small 10x12 cabin on skids. now the 12x14 wall tent has a frame and is used for guest/work shop. In the day time during the winter the temp is around -25 but at night it drops a lot. I needed a small cabin for when it drops down to -40t -50 at night. the wall tent served me well in my youth, but in my old age I need a cabin to stay warm.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

jim king

This is the way we get dry here and warm for the night here  8)

Bobus2003

Before I got a Job sitting in a Heated/AC Cab.. I would just keep busy to stay warm, Work on the saw on the back of the truck, Warm up the truck to sit in at lunch.. Just hope the day passed fast

madmari

Last time I worked with a heated trailer I found that our clothes got wet in the heat. If you stayed long enough to dry them out, half the day was shot. It was easier to stay out side, sharpen on the stump and get moving again. With the short days, every minute counts. Maybe cold, but dry!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

SwampDonkey

Jim, that would be too drafty up here right now. :D

When I ran a saw on the yard, I was never cold. Steam rolls off me like it does a horse. ;D :D I usually eat quick and right back at it. But, we always came home for dinner 4 miles away at the furthest. Heck I get hot with 3 layers on snow shoeing. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

islandlogger

Round here we dont have the snow and super cold temps to contend with, just rain for the most part aside from a few Nor' Easters now n then during winter months. My lunch "shelter" is usually under the canopy of a big Western Red with a quick fire lit by the drip torch to dry the gloves and warm up a bit and maybe get a coffee pot perkulatin for a afternoon java hit...always like to have a "warming fire" just makes things that bit more cheery...

islandlogger

Phorester

A couple of loggers here will have to travel 50 - 100 miles to cut timber bought by their mill. To cut down on traveling every day, one crew uses an old short school bus rigged up for camping. Not just for winter use - they stay on the job several days at a time all year long, go home every once in awhile to get their laundry done. Must be miserable sleeping on those hot humid summer nights we get here.  Sure cuts down on travel time to the job in the morning though.

Another such crew tows a camping trailer. 

madmari

We just did a job about 70 miles from home. Took the camper down- dark at 4:30- supper done at 5:30.Listened to the radio for a spell, asleep at 7:00. Wide awake at 2:00 am- doesn't get light till 7:00 am. Never considered having that much down time. Fortunately, my business partner is a funny #$%^&!!!!^&*.
  You do learn alot of new jokes told in the dark prior to falling asleep :D :D
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Coon

I gots me a little tin garden shed with a wood stove in it that I will be using while cutting this winter.  I built a floor for it from some of my own soruce lumber.  The heater looks a bit on the big side for the size of but then you gotta remember we have lots of forty below days and add on the wind.  A friend of mine has a bunch of pieces of 1 inch thick styrofoam insulation that I can have to insulate it as well.  Will get a pic or two of my humble abode in the morning.   :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!