iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mesquite porch

Started by ForestMan, November 25, 2011, 02:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestMan

First major project with my sawmill.  Using 1" thick mesquite.  Live edge slabs for steps.  I sanded down the steps yesterday and applied mineral oil.
Cedar post and handrail.

There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Chuck White

Sure is a beautiful project Forestman!

I never thought that mesquite got any bigger than just a little thorny bush!

Nice.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jueston

that is beautiful, i really like the 4 inch wide boards and 6inch wide boards mixed togather.... it really came out well.

Red Pill

Really beautiful. That notch in the top step looks a bit like a leg-breaker, though. Perhaps it looks like more of a gap than there is.

ForestMan

Thanks for your comments.  The gap on the top step is less than it appears.  I have an arthritic mother-in-law that climbs those stairs probably twice a day with no problems.  I'm really pleased with the red hues coming out, it's nice.

zopi

The fellow who originally sparked my interest in sawmilling, has run the same circle sawmill since the sixties, Has a rather nice house...there is not a square inch of sheetrock in the entire house, amd each room is done in a different species...the cherry bedroom is breathtaking...and his entire porch is solid white oak...mind blowing.
I wish I had a few hundred bdft of mesquite...would make some sriously nice kitchen cabinets.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Brad_bb

Nice!  I want to know about the post at the bottom step.  Was it driftwood?  How does it have those pronounce splits on the sides?  Did it have bark on it when you found it?  Did you sand it before you finished it?  Was it grayed to start with?
Thanks
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

gandrimp

Thats nice. Of course, we want pics of it finished.
LM2000

redbeard

Nice job i love seeing live edge projects. The steps are great! and the colors in the wood really compliment the project.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ForestMan

The post for the handrail is a cedar post we bought for fencing.  We simply stripped the bark and sanded it for two days, then put Cabot sealer on it.  I cemented the post in.  It is very solid. 

I am also using mesquite for skirting around the porch.  We are going to create guardrails all the way around the porch as well.  It is an ambitious project.  I still have about half the flooring to install.

I have never built anything like this before.  It is such a thrill for me!

WDH

That is a creative and "one-of-a-kind" porch.  You should be very proud!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

That looks good enough to make you not want to step on it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ForestMan

I custom cut each board to fit, then I coutersink the screws in after I drill pilot holes and countersink holes.  It is very time consuming, but I think the result is worth it.

mad murdock

Nice job forestland! Crank up the barby on that porch and you can claim with confidence that everything is grilled on mequite :D it looks soo good you could eat it ;) (thought it about time to bring flood into the conversation).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ForestMan

That's the nice thing about working with mesquite wood.  None of it needs to be wasted, as you can always barbque with your cutoffs.  ;D

MotorSeven

I really like the live edge, and these days I don't think it is used very much. I am using live edge Hemlock vertical board on board right now to close in my gables. I also bought a LogMan Tennon maker and will be making railings, furniture etc with it.

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

MotorSeven

Oh and this is 50/50 Tung Oil & Mineral Oil on Eastern red Cedar...first coat:

WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

kelLOGg

Tell me more about using mineral oil for a finish. Does it attract dust or remain sticky to the touch? How long after applying it can it be walked upon or touched?

I like the look of it (and everything about your project).
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Burlkraft

I use mineral oil a lot around here. I have a full log house with N white cedar and white pine walls.

It never gets sticky, just oily for a day or so. The look on the wood fades after a while. Usually after we are done oiling, the next day we take a soft cloth and wipe everything down.

We have a kat and a golden retriever and have not had a problem with hair sticking to the walls.
It was way worse when I bought the place. The inside was all rough cut white pine stained dark brown.
There is sumpthin' that'll keep and hold animal hair without bein' sticky!  :D :D

Very nice porch Forestman  ;)  I love mesquite it is so stable you can turn it green let it dry and it's still not out of round.

Good Job!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

There is just no way to measure the satisfaction of completing a project from "trees to finish".  Congratulations ForestMan, on a job well done.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dnalley

Great looking work.  The live edge steps look appealing too...but they would scare the heck out of me.  Seems like the mind is programed to expect steps to be uniform (we don;t always look at each step...especially if we wear bifocals or transition lenses).  Just seems to be inviting disaster, especially in the dark :-\  Only an opinion ;D

ForestMan

Thanks for all your comments.  The steps are not really that scary.  We have not had any problems at all.  Friends come over with their small children and no one has ever had an issue with it.  We have walked up and down the steps in the dark and never had a mishap. 

The nice thing about it is that I own a sawmill.  If I ever need to switch them out, I'll just slab some more mesquite.

tyb525

I love anything live edge...but many people have been programmed that a "board" must have 2 straight edges....otherwise it does not compute and they get really confused when they see a live edge board.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ForestMan

I have added a few more planks to the porch.  With two small boys, it's hard to get time to work on it, but slowly and steadily it is coming together.

toolman18

Mesquite cutoffs and two Turkeys in the front yard, doesn't get any better than that ;D!

Thank You Sponsors!