iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for lightweight pro-grade saw

Started by Engineer, November 24, 2011, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Hi guys,

It's been months since I've been on here.  Been working long days and three hours of driving back and forth to work each day, doesn't give me much time to even get online.

I've been cutting firewood with a Stihl MS361 for a couple of years now.  I love the saw, been using a 16" bar with Oregon chain and an 8-pin rim, it's fast and fun.

However - most of what I have been cutting for the past couple of years has been slabwood and larger logs - 12-30" diameter stuff.  Wood that was leftover from building my house, or dropped off when the town widened the road a few years back.  Now I'm back to harvesting actual standing trees, and find out that swinging that 361 around all the time when limbing is not fun after a few hours.  I also have only the one saw, and although I'm very careful about my cutting habits, I could always have a stupid attack and pinch a bar or need a second saw for some reason.  I also have a lot of smaller stuff to cut - mostly in the 3-6" range, and the bigger Stihl is almost too much saw to use on that little stuff.  Lot of white birch, sumac, soft maple and fire cherry.

So I am looking for a very light, pro-grade saw.  I won't say money is no object but I really don't want to drop over $500 on a MS200.  I have Stihl, Echo, Husky, Dolmar, John Deere and Jonsereds available in my area.  The local JD dealer still has a CS36 and CS40 on the shelf, he's refused to sell Stihl saws.  Another local dealer has the Stihl MS211 and MS261, although I think the 261 is a little heavy for what I want (not that it's a heavy saw, it's just heavier than I want, y' know?).  I have taken a long hard look at the Dolmar PS-420 (or a Makita equivalent) and like what I see, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.  I think a PS-420 with a muffler mod might be the way to go.  Don't know diddly-squat about Huskys, Jonsereds or Echos, although I don't have a good track record with Echo power equipment and think that they're too "plasticky" for my taste.  If it has a primer bulb, a single bar nut or an outside clutch, I'd be a little hesitant unless someone could sell me on the advantages.  I've had to change out the chain on a Husky a few times and it always seemed to be a major pain in the butt compared to my Stihl.  I owned an 025  and MS390 before the 361 and while I liked the 025 I don't want another.

I haven't looked at any other brands - Tanaka, RedMax, Efco, Solo, etc. because I don't know where I'd get one or get parts and service if I needed it.  I have heard the RedMax 3800 is a pretty hot little saw but I don't think there's a dealer anywhere around. 

I could also pick up a POS Wild Thing or something equally distasteful and just use it until I kill it.  Of course I also said that with my 18 volt cordless Ryobi sawzall and that piece of junk is still going strong...

Any suggestions?

beenthere

Engineer

I think you will be disappointed real quick with a different saw than the MS361 you are running. Just my opinion tho. ;)

Get a second bar for the time you pinch the one you have.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

caveman

I just read your post and understand you have not been impressed with Echo tools in the past.  My opinion of the ones I have used is opposite.  We purchased an Echo cs 440 saw in 2004, to help with hurricane clean up.  It has been a very dependable and good performing saw.  It has a pro chain, spark arrestor removed and the carb adjusted but has impressed several Stihl users.  We also had a 14" Poulan that did a good job for several years (started dependably and ran until turned off).  I let someone borrow it never and it was never returned.  The Poulan did not hold a candle to the Echo when comparing power and speed of cut.  Good luck on your hunt for a new saw.  Caveman
Caveman

sawguy21

Welcome back, it's been awhile. Sounds like the MS200 would be hard to beat for your needs. Echo does make fine product but most of their smaller saws come with the annoying starter. What about a Dolmar PS-420?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

islandlogger

I've always been a Stihl man just because thats what I grew up with and am accustomed to although I mainly stick to the "older" models as much as I can: 028, 034, 044, 066 and 084 I havn't been to terribly impressed with their newer models as of late....
I've used plenty of Huskys that were on site, good saws, ran great but just not what I'm accustomed to and found a few things with them to be "finicky" such as the choke and chain adjuster etc.
Dolmar however, I have used quite a bit when I worked some jobs with a forester buddy of mine, he runs mostly Dolmars and I really liked them, well built, nice to handle, plenty of power...good saw all around and worthy of serious concideration....

islandlogger

ladylake

Your looking a good one with the Dolmar PS420, Also a muff modded Echo CS400 really cuts.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

T Welsh

Engineer,Have you thought about a used saw,go to your dealer and ask what they have and how much,its another option! I am a true blue stihl man,and you will never be disappointed with a pro model. yeah they are not cheap,but neither is your time.go to your saw dealer and take a few for a test run and see what YOU like and yes its always more than you wanted to spend,I have that problem every time I go to purchase a new tool :D Tim

ladylake

The only smaller pro saws Stihl makes are the MS261 50cc kinda heavy for 50cc and the top handle 201t 35cc light and might be made in a rear handle model, both cost a lot. The Dolmar 420 has just as good quality and cost about half as much.  The Echo CS400 can be bought off Ebay for around $230, not built as good as the Dolmar but built well with a 300 hour EPA rating.    Also Echo oem parts are reasonable, don't know about Dolmar parts.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Quote from: ladylake on November 25, 2011, 06:29:51 AM

The only smaller pro saws Stihl makes are the MS261 50cc kinda heavy for 50cc and the top handle 201t 35cc light and might be made in a rear handle model, both cost a lot. The Dolmar 420 has just as good quality and cost about half as much.  The Echo CS400 can be bought off Ebay for around $230, not built as good as the Dolmar but built well with a 300 hour EPA rating.    Also Echo oem parts are reasonable, don't know about Dolmar parts.  Any suggestions, yes if your running 3/8 chain on that 361 do some timed cuts in bigger wood with both a 7 pin and your 8 pin, faster chain speed most times cuts slower in big wood unless your running a 80 to 100cc saw.  Steve

weimedog

Also looking for a pro level light weight. Since all my kids have up and left the farm, its just my wife and I. Combination of clearing fence line, trails, and fire wood means we cut a lot here, We also log every two years or so...usually 50 trees. AND that's what we are doing now. I do the felling & skidding & bucking. We both do the processing of the tops. She uses a Husqvarna 440e which for a fence and trail saw has been perfect. Getting into the hard wood tops ..different game. This fall is showing the benefits of adding more power to her equation (And having two saws is a life saver)....but what to get?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

Most of you would prefer to talk newer saws which costs some money now, let's face it they don't give them away .

Generally speaking a "limber " is a 3 cuber or less like near 40 cc .Now I have three ,2 MS 200T's and a Poulan s-25 which is over 35 years old that I use .The 200's I have pennys in but I also get around a tad but not everyone does as I .

Small saw ,an 024 or 026 is a fine well built pro grade saw . if you prefer Stihl .346 Husqvarna ,good saw .500/5000 series Partner just to name a few .All good not neccesarily cheap .However any of them if used and  in good shape and well maintained should last the casual user for a good many years .

fireman33

I got a redmax g5300, which is basically the husqvarna 353, its an awesome saw, 53cc so plenty of power and also its not heavy. I also found an old jonsered 590 in my in-laws basement the other day and he told me he has not used it in 5 years because the nilon rope was broke.LOL i fixed it and started after 5 crank, thats after sitting for 5 years. Id say jonsered make real good saws, or they used too at least.

Al_Smith

J-Red is another well built saw .I rebuilt a carb on a 525 early last spring and it was an impressive 3 cuber to say the least .A little age on it but all things considered it would hang with the best of them IMO .

sablatnic

You could take a look at Stihl's MS241 too.

STIHLFULLSKIP

a few guys here looking for a high powered lightweight saw here. maybe you guys should take a look at the new cs500p echo. it is the lightest 50cc saw on the market. it does not quite have the grunt of the 261/346, but with a little muffler/carb work it run very good. throw a 16" bar and full chisel on it, and it is a great saw. just a thought.

bill m

If a dealer will let you, try out a jonsered 2152 ( not sure if the model numbers are still the same ). I have two of them and love them for cutting smaller stuff.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Clam77

Is it an absolute must that it be a pro-grade saw?? 

Most every company mentioned makes smaller mid-grade saws that would suit your purpose better while still being a long lasting, dependable saw - and that weigh in considerably less like you're looking for.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

madmari

We just put the ECHO 600P's in the woods today. They are nice saws. Plasticky is actually light weight and tougher than aluminum. Cheaper to replace too if it gets crunched.
  Start on a 1/2 pull. Not the Husky windmill.
  Really impressed with these saws- wish I had done ECHO long ago. Watch the warranty on the big names- Pro saw Husky is 30 days.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

John Mc

Husky 346XP is a great 50cc pro-level saw (11 lbs., 3.7 HP), but at an MSRP of about $510, may be more than you are looking to pay.

Another good Husky saw is the 353 (11 lbs., 3.3 HP). Still has pro-type construction. I have the saw's twin sister, a Jonsered 2152 (basically, color and handle angle are the only differences). I like it a lot. I did pull the stock catalytic muffler and replaced it with a non-cat one... gave it a bit of a boost in power, and it runs cooler. MSRP: $425

A mid-level saw in the same size-range" Husky 450 (11.3 lbs, 3.2 HP), Cost about $380. This is not a "pro saw", but seems to be a sweet spot in their line-up for power to weight ratio in their mid-level saws.

If you are wanting an even lighter saw, You might look at the 440. It's a step down in power, which may take some patience if you are used to an MS361, but it's only 9.8 lbs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

Not much wieght saving with a 11# saw over the 361, my Echo CS400 wieghs 13# ready to cut and Dolmar 420 should be 13.5 to 14# (never wieghed one). If you want a light well built saw that doesn't cost a fortune these 2 fit the bil.  Both are built way better than Stihl or Husky homeowner and cost about the same.       Steve

sawguy21

Dolmar advertises the PS420 at 10.5 lbs. It is amazingly light and a gutsy performer for it's size.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

miking

I like Echo saws myself but a 600P would be about the same as your 361. I don't like swinging that one around limbing either, but that new 500P might be worth it for you. I love my 530 which the 500P replaced, but if I didn't, the 500P would be mine by now.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

ladylake

The Echo CS500 should wiegh about 15# ready to cut vs 17# plus with the MS361, doesn't seem like a lot but does make a lot of difference. Not priced to bad either at $450 at a dealer and I think Echo has a $30 rebate right now. I'd still get the 13# ready to cut CS400 that cuts way better than 40cc's     Steve

Thank You Sponsors!