iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

046 Build

Started by smwwoody, November 23, 2011, 08:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

Building an 046 for Treefarmer87

Fixing him up a little hot rod

Started with a solid 046 with a lot of hours on it.

Here are the new specs

New crank.  New bearings and seals.  Ported and polished bigbore cylinder.  Dual port muffler.  New carb and fuel system.  new oil pump.  New clutch and drum.  Many other new parts i will list as the build goes on.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

T Welsh

Santa Clause is coming to town ;D Tim

Cut4fun

Did you split the crankcase the old fashion redneck way or use a splitter. How did you remove and re-install the new crank bearings?

Just things the newer guys will want to know when doing their own complete rebuilds someday.

smwwoody

I did it the old fashion redneck way.  i took the old bearings out with a punch and put the new ones in with a special tool (an old brass pin from a Timberjack planetary).  I have been doing it this way for years with good results.  the only problem i had with this on was clearly my fault.  I forgot to oil the seals when i was putting the case back together and rolled the clutch side seal out.  easy fix.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Al_Smith

There more than one way to skin the same cat as long as the cat gets skinned  ;)

T Welsh

smwwoody,Why a new crank? balanced or lightened or both. I have played with my fare share of motorcycles and chain saws and have rebuilt many bikes and hot rodded them but never did a chain saw! maybe its about time  :D Tim

snowstorm

Quote from: smwwoody on November 24, 2011, 12:08:45 PM
I did it the old fashion redneck way.  i took the old bearings out with a punch and put the new ones in with a special tool (an old brass pin from a Timberjack planetary).  I have been doing it this way for years with good results.  the only problem i had with this on was clearly my fault.  I forgot to oil the seals when i was putting the case back together and rolled the clutch side seal out.  easy fix.
back in the old days i used to put the bearing in oil an heat it just before it boils then drop them on

T Welsh

snowstorm,(quote)back in the old days i used to put the bearing in oil an heat it just before it boils then drop them on. That still works today and when you want to shrink a bearing on its outside diameter I stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Tim

Al_Smith

The heat/freeze method is one method Stihl suggests in some of their service manuals .It works very well .

Actually McCulloch mentions it in some applications such as removing piston pins on very old models .

Clam77

If anyone ever re-sleeves a motor, the freezing technique works as well- throw the sleeve in the freezer for a while and it slides right in with a few gentle taps.   :)

Is it possible to re-sleeve a chainsaw... or is a whole new jug the prefered method??
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Al_Smith

Depends on what it is I suppose .I may be mistaken but to date I think I'm the only one ever on the internet to show a pictorial how its done .It was on a Mac 125 about 7-8 years ago .

Trust me it takes more than just freezing the liner .You have to heat the block  and use a press as well .Standard shrink press fit is about 1 thou per inch meaning the cylinder is 1 thou per inch larger than the hole it's going in .On that Mac it was 2.5 thou larger.

Clam77

Right Al - it's way more than just freezing.... I'm familiar with the process as I've done it MANY a time on automotive engines when I worked in a local machine shop. 

Just wondering if it's at all possible on a chainsaw is all - thinking of maybe boring and resleeving the jug and throwing a bigger piston in that Mac 3-25 I have laying around in pieces.

I'll start a new topic on that lil project when I get to it though as to not take this one over...   ;D

Would love to see your pictorial btw....   8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Al_Smith

Try as I might my patience is limited .About once a year or so I try to post pictures and was successfull once or twice .

I'm so stupid about it I couldn't  do it if the directions were tatooed on the back of my hand .I can sleeve a saw engine though . ;)

Tell you what if and when you start a thread I'll give it the old college try one more time .

Thank You Sponsors!