iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Testing Jim Rogers' Login and posting ability.

Started by Jim_Rogers, November 23, 2011, 11:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Okay Jim, let's see if this works.  I am on using firefox 8.0. Lets see if I get a session time out. As I type this Jim, I just realized, do you use a Router?  This may be a problem with something in your router.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

This is Jim using internet explorer....let's see if this works now...?

Jim_Rogers

Ok, just so that everyone who read this knows, somehow my session "time out" everytime I try to do something here on this forum.
when using Firefox browser.
I have been in constant contact with Jeff trying to resolve "my" issue and I'm almost totally sure it is my browser settings.
But I can't be completely sure.

I can't log in and out using firefox from my desktop or my laptop. Which lead Jeff to believe it was my router. Which it still maybe. So I shut down my router and my computer for a couple of minutes to cause it to "reset" as instructed by my Fios tech support person.
This did noting, same time out error message.

Next we hooked up my laptop directly to the Fios line without using the router. This should eliminate the router dns flush issuse if that was one of the many problems or possible sulotions. And we could access the internet and the forum using internet explorer.
But not using firefox.
I was using an older version of firefox and upgraded to the latest trying to solve this problem.
But the same problem happens with the new version and the old version in my laptop.
When I try to log out or push "save" when posting a reply the error message come up "session timed out".

The Fios tech believes it is a firefox problem as it only happens with firefox and not with internet explorer. And by hooking up directly we believed that we elimated the router issue.

I've tried and tried to find the session settings and can't. I've gone online trying to find the session settings at firefox help sections and can't seem to find any one post where there list where these settings are or how to change them for this site.

I am still kind of stuck and don't know what to do or where to find the info.
I sent a PM to one of the persons who helps lots of users on the firefox forum so maybe later today he'll have an answer for me.

If anyone know where these settings are or how to change them so that my sessions don't "time out" on this forum; please post the solution.

Thanks
Jim Rogers

Jeff

The only other thing I can think of right now is to try and flush the dns on your machine.  I'm not sure that simply rebooting the router will flush the cache, but I'm not well versed in those things.

Try this:

In Microsoft Windows, use the command ipconfig /flushdns to flush the DNS resolver cache. Open the command prompt and type the following:

C:>ipconfig /flushdns

Jim_Rogers

AvT

just a thought but you can try running firefox in safe mode by clicking in the top left hand corner on firefox then help, then restart with addons disabled.... that may let you know if it an add on thats screwing you up.. I am running in that mode now and can post here
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Raphael

I believe the settings you need may be under 'tools' > 'Options' in the menu bar but I don't see anything labelled sessions there in Firefox 7.  The option to flush the history and cache is in there.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jeff

There is another possibility outside of the regular temp files. If Jim comes to the forum, via a firefox bookmark, I think the potential is there that the bookmark saved some session info as well. Deleting the bookmark, flushing the cache and cookies, and all files via tools/clear recent history with Time Range set to Everything, THEN Coming to the forum via typing in the address https://forestryforum.com/board  and logging in, this may do it.   I'd bet Jim has a bookmark directly to the Timberframe board.  If he does that, and everything is fine, then create a new bookmark.

This is all conjecture on my part, but hey, it's worth a try.

Raphael

When in doubt try everything.  ;)
Might also be the proxy settings, my copy of Firefox using the settings provided by windows (MSIE).
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Raphael on November 24, 2011, 10:58:20 AM
I believe the settings you need may be under 'tools' > 'Options' in the menu bar but I don't see anything labelled sessions there in Firefox 7.  The option to flush the history and cache is in there.

been there done that. didn't work...

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jeff on November 23, 2011, 02:58:52 PM
The only other thing I can think of right now is to try and flush the dns on your machine.  I'm not sure that simply rebooting the router will flush the cache, but I'm not well versed in those things.

Try this:

In Microsoft Windows, use the command ipconfig /flushdns to flush the DNS resolver cache. Open the command prompt and type the following:

C:>ipconfig /flushdns

been there did that, didn't work every time I tried it.

I'll try the bookmark delete and reinstall when I'm at my office with my desktop.
I'm at a friend house using their computer to see what suggestions were posted.

Jim Rogers

AvT

im testing to see if this works with cookies turned off....

strange but it seems to..

I can't seem to make it NOT work in firefox no matter what I do... it must be waiting for when i'm not trying so hard and then it will drive me insane... I know IE does that to me every once in a while..
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Jim_Rogers

Ok, I'm online now at my office let's see if I can log in and log out.
Oh, yea, I deleted my favorite link and typed in the new address as suggested.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so you can see the post above, so it was the saved bookmark that did it all.

As a test of this, I'll try logging in with my laptop, and see if I can edit this post.

Jim Rogers

ps. this is the edit from my laptop

Jim_Rogers

All right then, that was it. A corrupt bookmark. Well that only took five days to figure out.

This is from my desktop.
The bookmark in my laptop was erased and replaced and all is well in the forum world now.....

Jim Rogers

Jeff

Raphael

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Thank You Sponsors!