iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Sawmill with piles of Yard art

Started by redbeard, November 23, 2011, 09:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

stumbled on a old sawmill with the gate open. met a nice fellow that was living in RV at the mill and he let me poke around and take some pics. The mill was called Aloha cedar shake mill. It was a very cold and rainy day so the pics are dark n dreary kind of a typical day when your around the Olympic rain forest. The piles of iron is where iam kicking myself for not trying to buy some yard art especially those Tongs they were big easily open up to 8' probably a good thing i left my wallet in my pocket. I just couldn't get the words out ( how much for this or that). Any way Iam curious as to what the finned wheel is. Its laying on its side anyone know what it might have been,  If you search Aloha cedar shake mill there is some history on a fire in 1969 and a U tube video of a shake splitter.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Al_Smith

That's neat .Artifacts from a bygone era .In some way rusty old iron which is in fact preserved in time by the very rust that attacks it .

D Hagens

Magicman

Those tongs would have been decorative only for me, 'cause I have no 8' logs.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

T Welsh

Glad I wasnt with you,We would need a bigger truck to bring all that yard art home ;D Neat stuff. Tim

Autocar

Man alive I love the pictures wish we had places like that here in Ohio I would never get anything done just eye balling all the goodies.
Bill

isawlogs

Those places are like a park to me  ;D  Man theres some goodies in there   :o :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

5quarter

That place is great. Someone should buy all of that up before the scrappers find it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Al_Smith

Quote from: Autocar on November 23, 2011, 07:35:07 PM
Man alive I love the pictures wish we had places like that here in Ohio I would never get anything done just eye balling all the goodies.
There are ,they just aren't as large .

Ironwood

AAAAA , ,AAAAA, Man I'd be going NUTS, !!!! Road Trip. 8)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ironwood

I had to go back and look at that again, WOW.

The wide cart wheels are COOL and I have never seen anything like those back East. Makes sense, made local, too heavy to transport. I have ALOT of iron around here, 100's of tons, and looked at 1000's more at local scrap yards. The tongs resemble a pair at my buddies resturant in Lockhaven Pa, historic old logging area. They are so heavy you dont really move them.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

redbeard

some more pics of the cedar mill, Not sure what the long chainsaw bar was used for other than cutting shake bolts off the big logs. The pic with the iron wheels there is a giant tunstile with rubber tire wheels under it. And the bridge is where they hauled the logs across a small river to the mill.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ironwood

That bridge crane looks cool, and not too BIG either. Lots of FF members could use that. The bridge is cool, you may wanna see what it is made of. Even the iron rings (visible in pic) look interesting.

If I lived near by I'd be "mining" that site for GOLD!! Find out who owns it at the local tax office.

Ironwood

T Welsh

redbeard, I can see a slabber being made out of the overhead saw.Tim

Thank You Sponsors!