iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kiln cart construction

Started by Dan_Shade, November 22, 2011, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm preparing to build a kiln cart, Nyle recommends using 3x3 oak for the cross members, does this work pretty well with the cycles of a dry kiln?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ga_Boy

Dan,

Look on BBTom's web site.  He (al least he use too) have pictures of is kiln carts.  Mine were based on his design.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

JV

I am planning a building and drying chamber this coming spring for a Nyle DH kiln I recently purchased, so I have a lot of questions.  I couldn't find photos for the carts mention built by BBTom.  I did find some posted by OWW in his thread "Time to stop being a wannabe".  I did find this .pdf file that gave me some ideas along with making the fan deck and fold down baffles.  I am planning an end loader for 24' long lumber stacks.

http://ucanr.org/sites/WoodyBiomass/newsletters/Hardwood_Handbook36233.pdf
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Ironwood

I still have a TON of kiln wheels for sale,

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,36475.msg527356.html#msg527356

Advantage is you can put flat bar stock on your floor and still drive over itt with even a small hard wheeled fork truck VS. the inverted angle. Depends on how you wanna organize your space.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ga_Boy

JV, youi are right, I looked on BBTom's web site and his pictures of his kiln build are not there anymore. 
I used his pictures to base my carts on.  They worked well.  I did opt for the "V" grooved wheels on one side. 

The one thing I should have done differently is adding a cable and pully system to allow me to pull the cart in to the kiln.  This is much easier than pushing the cart in with a front endloader. 

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

scsmith42

Dan, my first kiln carts were made from oak.  Before long, I replaced them with carts made from 4" channel with the v-groove wheels and steel track.  I built them based upon Nyle's design.

My next kiln will not use carts.  Instead I will fork the lumber into it from the side and place it on wood bunks such as 6 x 6's. 

Loading and unloading carts, IMO, is too time consuming.  Also, there are air flow challenges when using a narrow kiln.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!