iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Publication

Started by Ron Scott, November 21, 2011, 05:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

NEW CEDAR SILVICULTURE PUB

Buda et al.   2011.  Silvicultural Practices for Eastern White Cedar in Boreal Ontario.  Ontario Government, Ministry of Natural Resources.  52 pp. 

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/CNFER/Publication/STDPROD_089822.html

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I find their volume table slightly high, it resembles balsam fir on a well drained upland site. Most cedar isn't upland, if it is, it's usually sparse, incidental and taller by several meters. Fir doesn't taper as fast either. Some of their ideas seem quite sound, I have not studied the report in detail yet.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

Browsed through the publication, much like a deer in regenerating cedar!  Seems like they have some good ideas and guidelines for getting the cedar to regenerate.  I'm skeptical when anyone starts talking about uneven-aged cedar.  Sure, lots of existing stands look uneven-aged but I don't think I've found one that truly fits the description.  The cedar stands around here tend to be even-aged with lots of winners (dominant trees) and a few losers (intermediate and suppressed trees) which makes the stand look like it is uneven-aged.

SD - I don't know what the history of the Maritimes is, especially post-settlement forest activities.  When the real old-timers were still around (the guys who either cut or knew someone who cut timber when this area was being settled) they would tell you that they never cut a cedar in the low-ground.  Only high and dry stuff.  Consequently there are very few stands of high ground cedar left.  The impression I get from being in those remaining stands is that before we cut everything there was probably an equal balance of high and low-ground cedar around here.  The quality was in the higher stuff and I don't think it was necessarily any less thick.  I was in some high-ground cedar this summer that was consistently above 50 cords/acre.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I have not seen what I would call uneven aged cedar either and in places I know was never cut up until 25 years ago. People haven't settled here much longer than 150 years ago and the cedar is 160 in some places and 240 in other stands. The best cedar on this place was on upland and low defect. Dad and I cut a bunch of it, but we only thinned and way less than 30 %. Planted black spruce in the narrow paths that were narrower than in that report. Now we didn't cut large volumes because farming work was ahead of woods work. The old farmers only bothered cedar for fences and shingles and maybe barrels.

In the last 25 years most people will cut all their cedar woods down. But we have little in the way of deer and the cedar will come right back if there is some seed trees. I thinned 40 acres of cedar about 4 years ago on one site. I've got lots of cedar coming back on my lot that was cutover because there were adjacent stands and residuals left. I had one mineral soil exposed area that is a carpet of green from cedar. I cut a lot out, but I'll leave a cedar before I leave a darn fir on damp ground. Sometimes even high ground if I want a few extra species growing for a mix. ;)

All you have to do is go on crown land around here and they don't cut cedar or let it lay on the ground, and you can see on the uplands that cedar is pretty sparse and is among either spruce/fir or near gulleys in the hardwoods. Sometimes in the softwood it can get to be a large component where the slopes are wet with springs and seeps. When the fir dies out, those places are a nightmare to walk in. Rotten wood on the ground everywhere and cedar falling down from wind throw.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!