iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New green shop

Started by cypresskayaksllc, November 20, 2011, 09:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

Im building a new workshop to replace my old one. Heres the story of the old one.

It started out as a pole barn 20'x30' about 30 years ago. Then got downsized to a storage shed/ laundry room 12'x30'. Then I started to use it as a workshop. I figured I needed more room so I expanded it it 20'x40'. Then later another 10' making it 30'x40'. Back then I didnt have a sawmill and wood wasnt so easy to come by. Everything was patched together with different scraps of wood. The floor was dirt, or sand. I got tired of all the sand in the air so I put down some scrappy wood. However the roof wasnt built that high so I couldnt build up the floor properly. But it was better than nuthin. When I added on to the shop I did so up hill. So when it rained hard the shop got washed out. A couple weeks ago I figured I had enough so I made a plan to build a new shop. I will be recycling the tin roof and building a proper flooring and raising the height of the roof. Ive included some pictures of the old shop. The logs Im cutting with the WM and the lumber Ill be using. Ill be dismantling the shop this week, Ive already started today. I expect to have the foundation down by Wednesday.

Thats just some of the lumber. Mostly for the floor and walls
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

thecfarm

You will think you have died and gone to heaven when you get it done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

This will be interesting.  Keep it coming.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimGA

Good luck on your project, seems getting started is the hard part, then all the unexpected,then it is more than you expected,then you are done. Hope it turns out the way you want. The weather is supposed to be nice. I am up near Valdosta not to far from you. Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

kelLOGg

Where is all the stuff going while you build? When I built mine I had equipment under a tarp(s) for 1 year and a half. :(
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

If you have the room and no problems with the town I'd leave the old building as is and build the new shop,you can never have enough storage. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mometal77

Permits here are anything but nasty. And hypocritical in the planning commission here.  I am envious....20x40.  Not bad at all.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

zopi

I am lusting after that post drill, just a bit.

I am working on skinning our old barn here, board and batten and replacing the rotted sills...got the siding up and have put a temporary stage floor in the back of one bay to store some stuff...which has freed up my woodshop, as mama has me turning out knickknacks for the fleabay/etsy crowd.
That new shop will be sweeet!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cypresskayaksllc

Ive had some progress in the shop rebuild. To answer some questions: Im storing everything under tarps. I think I will be done with this project at least before 2012. I would like to leave this building standing and build in a new spot. But all the utilities are already there and I dont want to buy new tin. The post drill is just for looks. I dont use it.
Ive moved most of the stuff out and under tarps. There are so many small things. Needed a lot more boxes than I thought. Tomorrow I hope to have the rest of the stuff out, de-wire and tin roof removed.

zopi

Ooooo...twenty one inch Powermatic bandsaw....niiice.
Built by real rednecks in my hometown of Mcminnville Tn....

Had one, amd had no shop space for it...found it a good home in a local cabinetry shop.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cypresskayaksllc

Zopi, Its too dark in the pic to tell but its a 20" rockwell w/carter guides. Used at hillsborough county high school (FLA). My first bandsaw was a delta bought new for 100 bucks. I could pick the thing up with my pinkie. I threw that in the trash pile yesterday. I dont think I ever cut anything successfully with it. I got the rockwell bandsaw for 200 bucks I think. Doesnt seem right that the 2 bandsaws were 100 bucks apart in cost. Its not my favorite bandsaw I own though :)

jueston

its sure going to be something you can be proud of when you finish, having cut all the lumber yourself and everything. good luck

cypresskayaksllc

well I didnt get the foundation down today. I had a sawing job yesterday that lasted all day. The logs were low quality so it took me about all day to get 12oo bdft. Still a good day. I had a problem with my power feed. While in a cut the head just took off. faster than I thought was possible. The band came off. I got the band out and pushed the head back a little. It would go forward but not reverse. I looked at the manual. Nothing. I called WM but I didnt have a test light so we couldnt figure it out. Just as I was packing up to leave I checked one more thing. It was the cat trax connection. Anyway I got the roof off today and all the power out of the building. Tomorrow before I eat Im just going to push everything down with the tractor. 

stormyweatherman

looks and sounds like a bittersweet process.  nice old building.  from your profile and handle i'm thinking you made some beautiful 'petit bateaus' in there over the years.   my wife and kids just bought me a 'plastic kayak.' i really need to get back out fishing again.  problem is, every time i get a little boat i want to put a sail in it. :o  and they do make some nice sailing rigs for kayaks.  love the sound of silent running, the wind, and just water passing over the hull.  good luck and have a nice holiday.
if experience is the sum of all my mistakes, then i must know a great deal more than i realize

customsawyer

The only thing I am having a hard time with is you starting this shed 30 years ago and your age is 29. ;D I am hoping you aren't the one that started it.
Just joking a bit the work is looking good and you have some nice tools.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tom_Averwater

What ever size you are going to build it , double it . Can't never have enough space .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

cypresskayaksllc

This shop does date back before I was around. It was my dads barn.
I know bigger is better but you got to draw the line somewhere. And it is just me building this thing.
Ive had a little progress with the project. Families in town so the pace is slowed a little. Got it cleared and graded this evening. Then I had to go watch FSU beat up on the gators.  It was too dark to take a picture of the latest but here are a couple recent.

I'll try to get the foundation piers down tomorrow.

eastberkshirecustoms

Nice, who doesn't love a good fire??!! Out with the old and...

TimGA

Great progress at this rate you will be finished in no time. As you are building, and you think you want change somthing CHANGE IT now is the time. You will be using this building a long time, you will kick yourself in the behind later.Try not to have to many if only I !! Looks like you have a good plan with the stack of precut wood. Amazing how much help our small tractors w/fel are.   Good luck !! Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Magicman

You are looking good.  Be sure to print these pictures and place them in an album.  It will be fun to look back at the way it was.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

I would love to be in the south where you can start a project in november :) We are busy storing things for the winter...
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jueston

Quote from: Stephen1 on November 27, 2011, 09:45:03 AM
I would love to be in the south where you can start a project in november :) We are busy storing things for the winter...

and not have to take snow load into account....

WDH

Looks like the hound is also enjoying the process  :D.  Looking good.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Looking good...I am trying to not think about bandsaws right now.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cypresskayaksllc

More progress. Yesterday rained all day so everythings a little muddy now. Got my piers in and termite treated. Floor joists are in. Im working on the flooring now. I need 1200 sq ft and I think I have around 900 right now. Ill have to cut a few more pines down this week.

Thank You Sponsors!