iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drilling 1/2" Ø hole into wood on 30-60° angles.

Started by SwampDonkey, November 20, 2011, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Is there a jig for this, or would a bench drill press tilt to do it? I don't have a drill press, yet.

I want to make a wooden wheel about 6" diameter, 2" thick, with 5 spoked handles set into it 30-60°. Not yet sure of the angle, but that's the ball park. The insert of the handles would be 1/2-3/4" Gotta make two wheels.

Thanks if you have any ideas.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I would try it by tilting the table on the drill press, but there may be a better way.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sprucebunny

I've done it by starting the hole straight and then turning to the angle you want. You can make a guide for the angle out of the scrap you will want to practice on  ;)

You can also buy guides or make one out of hardwood by drilling the hole straight and then cutting the block at an angle to the hole. It will start better if you start the hole straight then clamp on the angle guide.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

As sprucebunny says, make a jig to get good repeated angles, depth of holes, and handle position.
IMO, it will be well worth effort if you want the handles to look similar on both wheels.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that's the goal to get evenness. Thanks for the suggestion spruceb. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shelbycharger400

well... my case here...
my drill press is a 1950's , it was a 3 phase industrial, switched to a 1/2 hp motor on it, needs more but its ok.
anyway, the table on mine is 16d x18w with t slots in it, and a coolant slot around the outside.
my table dosnt tilt. Pay attention to the following...

I bought a used rotary table, i need to shim it cause it has slop..no worries their for me.(ill do it sometime this winter)
clamp rotary table to press table.
use t bolts in the 4 slots on the rotary table... clamp wheel for face drilling,  if your doing angles, look for a used dividing head, last one i found local was going for 300.  it will do anything from 0 to 90 deg.

with a standard rotary table, i could use a sine bar, but i would have to mark all holes first, put the sine bar in, drill, reset ..ect.
i paid 60 for my rotary table.

remember:
360 deg = full circle
so 5 spokes = 360 /5 = 72 deg.

putting them in without a dividing head gets complicated fast, but it can be done just have to do the math. precision micro bubble level (think 1 inch long) are the cats meaw!  look for caddy or 94 vintage dodge lhs/concorde/vision headlights have them too.

T Welsh

SwampDonkey,I was thinking on the same lines as shelbycharger400, Drill press is your best bet, drills do one thing and work one way, I would lay out the hole pattern on the piece and make a simple wood jig to hold it where you need it in the press or for that matter a hand held,I build jigs all the time when I am faced with a need and no proper tool or machine to do it. Tim

Bill Gaiche

Take a piece of hardwood and drill the angle you want, then clamp the wheel to your work table with the piece of hardwood with the hole drilled at the angle you want next to it and clamp it also. Now take your drill and drill to the depth you choose. Rotate wheel and drill again, bg

SwampDonkey

Yup Bill. Just gotta aline the hole toward the wheel centre. :) But if I get desperate, I see a nice floor model drill press with tilt and swivel for $450. ;D

T Welsh

SwampDonkey,If you look around in the paper for auctions you can find a drill press for 100 to 200 bucks,thats how I found mine! 

Oldie but goodie. paid 125.00 for it. Tim

SwampDonkey

Burlkraft

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 22, 2011, 06:48:14 AM
That would be a long wait in these parts. ;D

You need some different parts  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Phorester

I have a 3 year old floor model (not bench-top) Delta drill press with a table that is adjustable for tilt in every direction.  It absolutely will not move when you lock it down and drill.  Very precise, very stable. Love it for precise drilling at angles.

Git one.   ;D

SwampDonkey

I'll probably end up with one sooner or later because I have a lot of precise drilling to do with this one project alone.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Anyone know of an online source for ratchet wheels? Ideally it would have a 1-1/2 to 2" square center cutout with mounting screw holes on the face. And the sprocket would be 5-6" diameter. Of course need a pawl. Need two pair of wheels/pawls. ;D

You'd be surprised how rare they are on the internet. :D

Gary_C

Don't know if you have them, but rim guided or forstener bits are the best for drilling at angles to the surface. But a good set of those aren't cheap.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

JV

You could get a couple of scrap gears and cut or have someone machine the square opening.  The pawls could be made from flat stock with a little cutting an filing.  Depends on the load you are trying to move or hold.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

shelbycharger400

gary....
on the forstner bits at angles.... 
i once was drilling a leg for a table...clamp wasnt holding the log very well... so i used one hand... i was using a irwin 2 3/8 i think., i took out the auger center because it bites too fast, using my 1/2 chuck dewalt,   it cut a little...then walked FAST..  I got bit between the thumb and index.   I wont do that again... next job im making v blocks, and now  i have 2 spot drills for the center, one short and one long.

shelbycharger400

Gary_C

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on November 22, 2011, 09:53:32 PM
using my 1/2 chuck dewalt,   it cut a little...then walked FAST..  I got bit between the thumb and index.   I wont do that again...

Good point.

Holding a hand held drill steady while drilling large holes is problematic with most types of bits and especially rim guided ones. If you are drilling at an angle with any type of bit, you should be using a drill press or a good fixture.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Yeah for sure, they can take a lot of meat off your digits in a hurry.

SwampDonkey

Yeah those are tiny clock gears Shelby. ;D

I might see what a CNC shop can do. I live near a lot of small metal shops here in farming country. They make them for crank ups on bin piler conveyors, so can't be too hard. I want a lot of teeth on the wheel for slow advancement.

JV not much weight, maybe 20 lbs.

JV

If you have an old ag salvage yard, some machines could have lightweight thin gears.  Machine gears such as lathe change gears show up on eBay and are of lightweight material for the older smaller machines.  A machine shop should be able to make them if they have at least an index head and a fly cutter.  Motion Industries or Motion Canada distributors should have gears, if you don't have to take out a loan to buy them.  An industrial supply handling Boston gears should have a wide range of gearing.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

SwampDonkey

Motion is 25 miles from here. I know bearings there are a lot cheaper than Stihl. :D But I think I'll stop into a shop about 5 miles away first. They have all kinds of expensive machines sit'n around hardly used. Give'm something to play at. ::)

The racket wheels will mount on the back of these maple wheels. I have to cut the centers out in the maple and mount turned handles. These are 8" Ø, 2" thick. ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Two armchair suggestions, never did either one myself.   Spoon bits are supposed to start and drill at any angle.  Alternatively, cut a disc on the bandsaw or turn it on the lathe with the desired angle.  Now drill into this at 90 degrees easily perhaps with a jig on the drill press or even on the lathe using whatever drill bit you like (can use indexing on the lathe to get the right spacing).  Now turn the outside edge back square.  The holes are now at an angle.  If they're not deep enough now it's no problem.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

I merged these topics so you can see where I'm headed with the ratchet wheel and drilling of holes. ;D

JV

Just out of curiousity, does this involve a frame with 2 horizontal wooden rollers?
John

SwampDonkey

JV

John

beenthere

Here are birch wood ratchets for a quilting machine.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Gaiche

SwampDonkey

Yes they are nice sprocket wheels. I had thought of that to, but was not sure how they would hold up with solid wood and under tension. With the application I am using them in they all seem to use metal ones because unlike a sprocket type of wheel the ratchet wheel is more toothed and under 90° facing the pawl so it won't slip off under tension.

shelbycharger400

Don_Papenburg

You need a good used Bridgeport and a rotary table .  Very precise for wood work
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Don, the drill press I'm after does what I need.  ;D

Shelby that's great. I will have to modify the contact tooth undercut angle, but it's very helpful for a wooden ratchet layout. The tooth tip has to be more forward for a racket wheel. But, this will also come in handy later on when I build a geared wooden tool.  8)

SwampDonkey

Here is what I'm going to try with 1" material. 20 teeth, 15 cm Ø, 18 degrees between teeth and a 10 degree inward cant. Just have to select the right grain for against the pawl.

SwampDonkey

PC-Urban-Sawyer

SD,

If'n you want them things to cut you'd better put some set on those teeth!

:D

Herb

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Bill Gaiche

SwampDonkey, sounds like its hitting on all 20 cylinders. bg

SwampDonkey

Don_Papenburg

If there is to be any pressure against the short grain teeth you might want to glue up segements to make all long grain teeth
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

The growth rings are oriented like layers of plywood. Having the teeth 90°, as in quartered, would cause them to sheer off. That's why I chose the wood carefully. Just my opinion. The tension will be in the neck of the V, not the tip of the teeth. I do realize that the grain in plywood alternates.

Don, there won't be a lot of weight, pretty much just stopping the momentum of a roller from back spinning. And it will be advancing slow, not making a full revolution most of the time.

If it don't work, then there is always old saw blades, cut the center out. ;D Simple. :)

I do know that wood used in this application have lasted decades as ratchets. I'll probably get a steel pawl though.

Thank You Sponsors!