iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

special screw drivers

Started by aquacanis, November 20, 2011, 06:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquacanis

It appears that there must be a bunch of different screwdrivers that are very special to the
carburetor adjustment business for chain saws.  Is that true?  If so where do I find these
"very special" tools?  Does each competitor make a different screwdriver?  What in hell is going on here folks?!!

sawguy21

Ralph Nader and the epa hath decreed thou shalt not adjust carburetors. Normally the tools are only available to the OEM's who set the engine before it leaves the factory, not to us mortals. We need to be creative to set up the saws for power and durability. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OAP

Dale Hatfield

Most still have a limiter cap over the high and low screw . Your dealer has a tool to pull cap off adjust and  put it back on .
You get very little adjustment with cap on. New carbs probablity wont have a carb adjustment screw.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

aquacanis

Thank you gentlemen,  I now know what I have to do to make my new little Tanaka
run like it should.  Enough said.  May god bless the EPA  I dealt with them for nine years
and they still don't take any real action that is meaningful to the environment.

Al_Smith

There's a couple different "anti adjustment " caps .Some you just pry them off and cut the tabs off then shove them back on and you're good to go .

I've never personnaly seen them but am told there is a tool you can get on flea bay like a splined screwdriver that works  on Poulans .The few of those I've encountered I used a small piece of tubing and while not the best it worked .

They say it's illeagal for a dealer to remove said caps but I don't think the almighty EPA has enough chainsaw police to catch all the private owners .What if they did ,then what ?Take the chainsaw away and give you a bow saw maybe .Then sell the saws in job lots like they do Swiss Army knifes confiscated from air lines by the transportation  people .Wonder what slush fund that money would go into ?

snowshoveler

I work at a dealer so I have all the screwdrivers ..most aint cheep either.
I will mention that you dont have to cut any tabs off any of the locks to adjust any of them.
Here we go and I will surely burn for this...just slide the cap back about 1/16 inch and then insert your favorite little flat head screwdriver in the center.
Note that it can only be 1/16 wide at the blade, not your usual adjustment screwdriver. More like a watch or eyeglass one.
make adjustment and then slide back on. Nobody will know you were there.
The other ones found on poulans, echos and so on do take a splined screwdriver but this to can be figgured out.
Chris...now hiding from epa police
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Cut4fun

Just in case embedded pic isnt working for non members. There are others now too.

Al_Smith

:D You know I always said this about some saw manufacturers and the EPA as far as that goes .There aren't that smart of engineers any where to out smart "yankee ingenuity " .If they make in more difficult we just out fox them as we always have . 

It's their job to do it because the EPA mandates it and it's our job to bypass them because it's so much fun . 8)

madmari

The EPA has an undercover smiley-face just above the text block here on the forum. She's the blue faced gal that is smirking and winking. She has the blue tint due to breating all that nasty 2-stroke exhaust you all have adulterated by fiddling with screws. I sure am glad they have not witnessed my skidder under load. That old feller smokes like a death-row convict at 11:30pm on "the day".
   Hey, Smirkey- we was just foolin'. Nobody here would ever question a government ageny that spent millions investigating the perils of a 50cc engine while jetting back and forth to meetings in Wash, DC and Sweden.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

SPIKER

I use some 1/4" aluminum tubing that I use a pair of needle nose pliers on to fit into place.   so far have not hit a snag...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!