iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help to identify this husq chainsaw

Started by jimbarry, November 20, 2011, 03:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

Need help to determine what model this is. Any help appreciated.

Dale Hatfield

My guess would be like a 365 or in that class size saw.
Check for a plate(tag) around oil tank cap . Should give year and make .
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

jimbarry

your talking about the chain oil cap, right?

Dale Hatfield

Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Cut4fun

I'm guessing 346xp 45cc OE I dont see a primer bulb is why I say OE. The tag on those is right side on crankcase under handle gap if I remember right.  Could be a 353 also.

Muffler is not a 365 362 372 type muffler or top cover or clutch cover type

jimbarry

found something but its covered in thick sap. Clean with something that won't remove the writing on the label ?

Cut4fun

That sticker on top cover will show cc size etc too.

snowshoveler

Most likley a 353 G ,also has heated handles nice...Its a Canadian thing our hands get cold.
The serial tag is actually just in fron the heat handle switch.
Small tag riveted to crankcase. Easy way to tell for sure is the 346 has the solid cylinder.
The 353 has the little door on each side,held with 4 little screws.
Chris 
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Cut4fun

Cylinder can be replaced. Lot of guys here put 346 cyls on 353 when need rebuilt. I just noticed this one had de-comp in pic. I dont think my OE does, cant remember.

snowshoveler

About half of our 346s  come with the decomp button. You never know which one your gonna get.till you open the box.
Asked the sales rep and he has no idea. Asked the service dept. when they were still in canada and they weren't sure either.
Either way with a little elbow grease that could be a nice saw.
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

jimbarry

I've also got a 353g that needs a new case (handle broke) and a 357xpg that needs a new cyl/piston too. 3 husq's in varying conditions.

Cut4fun

Quote from: snowshoveler on November 20, 2011, 04:59:42 PM
About half of our 346s  come with the decomp button. You never know which one your gonna get.till you open the box.
Asked the sales rep and he has no idea. Asked the service dept. when they were still in canada and they weren't sure either.
Either way with a little elbow grease that could be a nice saw.

I know on the NE 346 50cc there is 3 different OEM cylinders.  3 different part numbers.

snowshoveler

3 different cylinder part numbers...holy smokes that should make rebuilding one
interesting  to say the least.
Thanks for the heads up  smiley_thumbsup
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Cut4fun

jimbarry

Quote... with a little elbow grease that could be a nice saw.

Anybody have tips on removing the layer of sap on the saw so I can get at the label? Gas? Kerosene?

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jimbarry

Quote from: Corley5 on November 21, 2011, 07:54:14 AM
Ether .... 

Didn't realize I had to put the saw to sleep to such a minor operation.  ;D

nmurph

It's not a 346...NE's have decomps, primer bulbs, silver clutch covers, and silver latches. OE's don't have decomps. (I have about 30 of these in the shop right now).
353's have four screws on the lower, side portion of the cylinder with covers that can be removed to access the transfers.

Cut4fun

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 20, 2011, 03:51:30 PM
I'm guessing 346xp 45cc OE. Could be a 353 also.

nmurph  :D nobody said new 346 was a choice, we are just talking about them between ourselves.  ;)

You would think OP would have popped 3 clips and looked at transfers to tell us.  :D

snowshoveler

Hi Jim..
Right close to you in PEI there was a guy making and selling a product called Powerhouse C.
It was the best thing ever to clean gum off saws. You could put any part in it or even the whole saw.
Didn't hurt stickers paint plastic anything at all.
If you put a whole saw in you would have to pretty much strip it in a day or so because it was water based but at least you had something clean to
work with.
We had a couple 5 gallon buckets of it but its long gone now.
I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this,he stopped making it some time ago I was told.
regards Rhris 
l
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

madmari

Looks to me like a 353 also. Try wd-40 to get off the sap. Won't hurt anything, it's just fish oil but it cuts the goo!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Clam77

From the pics on the Husky site..... it matches the 353 E-Tech almost perfectly.... but the new 346XP E-Tech is the only one with the green fuel cap in the entire lineup, even though it has black hood latches instead of orange like the rest of the saw and that new TrioBrake system. 

I'm gonna say it's an earlier 346XP...
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

nmurph

sablatnic

Looks like a 346 to me. The label should be located on the right side of the crankcase, behind the handle.

jimbarry

Thanks sablatnic, the arrow makes it clear! :)  So its settled then...

Problem found though :(

Now I can't get the handle back on without threat of breaking the case.

Thank You Sponsors!