iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NEW MILL

Started by SCSawyer, November 20, 2011, 11:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCSawyer

Ok guys ive went and done it, I sold my old 0 frick mill, It was about worn out and I didnt use it that much anymore, so now I have went and bought one of these new fangled bandsaw things its a little hudson bought it mainly cause it was a steal only $400.00 and 2 goats  :D and its practicaly new, had to put new shoe guides on and oil it up and a piece of new cable to lift and lower the headrig, tell me this will I ever get used to sawing this SLOW ! is it possible to put a bigger motor on it ? it has a 8.75hp motor but man that things stinking slow compared to a real mill ;D, I like the quality of the lumber that comes off and it has 24ft of track , any ideas would be great, I have sawed my whole life with a circle mill so this is a HUGE change for me.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Slingshot

You didn't say what model you have but if is the Oscar 28 or 30 you could easily go
to a 13 or 15 horse.

JV

Depends on what model of mill as most were built as hobby or low production mills.  I had a Hudson Oscar 36 before I got my Wood-mizer, slow but a decent mill.  I had problems with wavy cuts but narrowed that down to dull blades and blade tension.  It had a screw tension adjustment that torqued to 30 ft/lbs but Hudson said go to 60 ft/lbs.  A debarker of some sort is a plus to keep blades sharp longer.  Proper adjustment of the blade guides is necessary for good cuts.  They aren't high production mills, but they will cut lumber with a little time and patience.  My biggest gripe was the almost non-existent owner's manual.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Magicman

Congratulations on the new (to you) sawmill.  There are several knowledgeable Hudson folks around, so you are in good company.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slingshot

Here is a video of a Hudson 30 I use to have with a 10 HP Briggs. It sawed through this
cedar very easy and almost effortless to push. Lumber was straight and even.
There are other videos on you-tube of of a hudson 30 with 18 HP and a 121 with 10HP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6gx3ZfvGKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9fgJC7DPHM&feature=related

_____________________-

beenthere

Slingshot
That video shows up as private. Might need to change it to unlisted so we can view it. thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Slingshot

Sorry, I thought it could be viewed with that link. I changed it and added another,
should work now

beenthere

I like the first one better. :)  That second one in the dark of night was hard to see, but the hatchet chopping was entertaining.  ;D
Thanks for the post
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

paul case

Wow charles,
Thanks for the videos.
You must be a man of many mills. I have seen Hudson, norwood, an woodmizer vdeos you have made. Just how many sawmills do you have? PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!