iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsawing question

Started by Ron Wenrich, November 27, 2001, 04:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Bud, I get the feeling many of us here are very different in our approach.  I lost money, or didn't make much, on some early jobs, i think i was just too eager to get them.  I still cut only part time and teach as my day job, so I have become sort of selective in what I will take on, and how much I keep on hand, or cut on spec.  I will go full time in June of 2003 and will probably take any job offers at first, so as to insure a constant flow of cash.  There are many variables to this independent small sawmill show.  I have had a few jobs that paid quite well, here are two.  Quartered white oak ordered by a customer, I cut true quartered and bought the logs at 40 cents per bd ft.  I never cut more than 350 bd ft on any of the winter days of the job but at $2.00   that gave $560 dollar days.  two curly maple logs gave 450 bd ft and took about 5 hrs.  after a year of drying i sold them for $1350 great income and both fun jobs.  I have also worked my tukus off for $350 a day cutting oak 2 by with a log truck to feed the mill and three of the customers helpers.  4200 bd ft, but all i did was go back and forth as fast as i could.  so yes we are all a different can o peas.  but we are all cutters.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bud Man

James==                                                                            Our differences are what makes us originals.  I was born to walk on dirt and beneath trees , but from 23 - to - 53  pounded the pavement.  Whatever time's left, I intend to do just that.  I enjoy breaking a sweat and making $'s to spend in worthwhile endeavours, but mostly enjoy people and especially ones who have a passion and pursue it.  MY passion has always been the biological earth==Everything thats within it and Everything upon it.                                    God Willing, It'll only get better and better.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Gentlemen, GENTLEMEN!
I have been amazed at the various perspectives, also
at the depth of discussion which has been presented,
but come on... :

The most amazing detail of the entire thread has been
Bibbyman's "Mary".  She is truly a last-chapter-of-Proverbs
kind 'o woman!
Phil L.
  P.S.  Hard work with the appropriate equipment,
            with good methodology, and the right level
            of capital investment, coupled with the right
              supply, end product(s) and market(s) = profit !
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Bibbyman

Now that Mary's reputation has reach biblical proportions,  what's next?  Sainthood?

You ought to see her this evening.  From the shoulders down she is progressively dirty.  We picked up our (her) new Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25-RA Super mill Wednesday and we've been working get it all installed.  Lot more to installing a stationary electric mill than a portable fuel model.  Knocked off  the first couple of boards with it this evening.

Looks like we are going to have a long learning curve on the Accuset setworks!  Standing behind the Command console sure is difficult to get used to – we keep wanting to run along with the sawhead like a dog chasing a car.  The two plane clamping system is new to us too.  Too many new things for us to absorb at one time. :P

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

Great picture but why the wheels//
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Bibbyman

An old buddy of mine once said "All babies are born with tails but they pop off before they are born."  I don't know how he figured that out either. ::)

Anyway,  WM build and transports their stationary mills with temporary axle and hitch assemblies.  They are removed and returned to the factory.  But the mill has full wiring harness and lights, etc. for mobile transport built right in.  I guess that's good as who know if someday a new owner may change it back to a mobile mill.  It's happened before. ;)
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Here is a very good discussion on circle mill vs. band mill and kerf that was buried down about page 33.

Best to start at the beginning on page one.  8)
Sawing since '94

dail_h

SHOOOEEEEE !!!!!!
Talk about knowlege and wisdom, man I didn't know you guys were so smart.I'm durned near afraid to get in on this,but for what it's worth here goes.
   1. Ron the circle mill with two resaws behind it cutting a million bdft a week is very doable,if all they are doing is making cants.100,000bdft per shift is not unrealistic,but good productionnone the less.
   2.Bibbyman,in my humble opinion,things being as they are in your operation,I think that i'de a-keep Mary tou aint likely to find a suitable replacement and b-learn to put your own socks away.
   3.High value speciaitycuts a portable bandmill can't be beat,high productionlow value/comidityproducts takes large stationarymills.
                 TO EACH HIS OWN
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bibbyman

You'll be glad to know we worked out the sock storage deal.  I just quit wearing socks and underwear.  

More'n you wanted to know I bet. ;D
Sawing since '94

dail_h

As my kids say OVERSHARE!!!!!!
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Rick Schmalzried

Bibby,
I am going to have to print this out and leave it for my wife  :D  She has been after me to get me to put mine up rather than waiting for her.  After this, I don't think she will complain as much  :D  :D
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

solidwoods

Band mills have another advantage, overall safer,  less complicated blade,   dogging and dogging system can be easier, and they can be run by one person. A circle mill can be run solo, but it's not fun running the head, walking around the log deck or power shaft side, then dragging lumber near an 80" blade.
Even though a circle mill can be allot cheaper initial cost.  
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Bibbyman

This topic got somewhat derailed from its original post and that was basically questioning the overrun prospect of a thin kerf bandmill vs. the production level of a circle mill.

The last Timberline had an article about Royce Smith in Success, MO. that had chronicled his migration from circle mill to bandmill.  

If you don't get Timberline,  here is the link to the article on their web site.

Big Thin Kerf Sawmills Win Over Even A Die-Hard Circle Saw Owner
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!