iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

28" bars, 3/8" pitch, skip chain, cutter count, drive link count

Started by KC8QVO, November 19, 2011, 02:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC8QVO

My first question is does it matter if I have an even or odd number of cutter links on my chain? If I have an odd number two identical cutters will run next to each other. Will that affect anything?

Next question: I would like to run a 28" bar (3/8" pitch, .058 gauge). What would you recommend for a drive link count and distance between links for the cutters? The specs show 93 links. I was told I can go a link up and a link down from spec and still be able to tighten it. If I go with a stock chain I believe it would be a 3 link skip, 31 cutters. That is unless they run 2 links per cutter and then there would be a gap where the chain comes together...

What I would really like to to is get an even number of cutters on a 4 link skip. That would put me at a 96 link chain. Can I modify the bar to get the extra length to tighten that up? As in lengthen the slots where the bolts go through to give the extra space? That would be 3 links over spec. If 92-94 links fit it would be 2 links over the upper limit. I could also go down to 90 links on a 3 link skip - won't cut as easy, would have to shorten the bar a tad, but that would get an even number of cutters too.

My options are:
90 links at a 3 link skip = 30 cutters
93 links at a 3 link skip = 31 cutters
92 links at a 4 link skip = 23 cutters
96 links at a 4 link skip = 26 cutters

Unless I am missing something.

Those of you that run 28" bars on 3/8" pitch - what do you do?

ladylake

It wont matter if you have 2 cutters in a row on the same side, I switched from a skip tooth to a full comp on my 385xp 28" and really didn't notice much difference.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

What ever driver count it calls for is what you should use .I have no idea what 93 drivers would be .I think 91 is Husqvarna and 92 is Stihl and McCulloch for a 28" .Of course there could be some variation depending on who made the bar I suppose .

bill m

Why are you trying to get an even count on cutters? None of it matters and no one can honestly say they can tell the difference when cutting. Save yourself some trouble and just go with what is recommended for that size bar.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

NCFarmboy

You can get a 93 dl bar down to 92dl for even link count.  You have to elongate the slot and grind the tail to make it work.  Lot of work for nothing.   One of my Oregon PowerMatch bars is 93dl and another is 92dl???  If I remember right one is .058 and the other is .050.  My Husqvarna branded (Oregon PowerMatch) 28" is 92dl.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Al_Smith

Depends on the bar design etc .On most Stihls a standard driver count  will allow you enough room for example to run say a 7 tooth or an 8 tooth rim .Some like a 10 series Mac will not .Annoying as it is on that one you have to add a driver .On a 20" 8 tooth  it takes 71 drivers instead of 70 .A 72 will be too long .Kind of a pain in the behind .

KC8QVO

I'm not worried about the drive links being even, I was looking for an even cutter count so they would all line up in an alternating pattern (with no skips - IE chain made with 3 links between cutters having 4 or 5 links between cutters where the chain comes together). An even cutter count wouldn't happen unless I went down to 90 drive links with 30 cutters (3 link skip, I believe that would be a "half skip"?) or went up to 96 drive links with 24 cutters (4 link skip, "full skip"?).

My 20" bar is no problem - 72 drive links. I run 32 cutters full comp (2 links between cutters), I can also run 24 cutters  half skip, or 18 cutters full skip and they all come out even.

If it isn't going to matter if the cutters lay on the same side where the chain comes together I'll run 72 links on a full skip and call it good. I'll let you know how it works out. I won't get it done until after thanksgiving, I don't know if the store has the bar in. They'll let me know tomorrow.

Cut4fun

It dont matter if you have 2 right or lefts cutters in a row.  I think I have just a 72dl put together that has 2 left and somewhere on it 2 rights. Who gives a darn on a work chain. Now if building a race chain  :D.

John Mc

Having two in a row makes no difference... and it makes a great place to start when you are sharpening.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

Oh your not going to believe this  .I once got a flea bay saw where the chain was a combination of full comp,semi skip and full skip and it was only a 24"  loop .It was on a 58 thou bar and about half the drivers were 50 thou .Believe it or not it  didn't cut too bad . Of course I changed it though .If nothing else it was good for a laugh .

sawguy21

Somebody had some roll ends to get rid of. :D To the op, the cutter sequence will only be consistent if your drive link count is divisible by four like 92 or 96. With 90 you will get two lefts or two rights in a row at the joint. With 93 you will have an odd spacing. There is no way around it. As others have said, fuggedaboutit. You will not notice any difference in performance.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!