iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

engine to power a circular mill

Started by NMFP, November 19, 2011, 09:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

Hello Everyone:

Can anyone give some advice as to what engine would be best in powering a 56" circular saw on an 01 Frick?  I have thought about using an automotive engine but, I do not know how to govern it or how I would use a transmission with it to power the mill.  Would a ford 300 6cyl with a 4speed transmission work? 

I appreciate all of the help.

NMFP

Ron Wenrich

I've seen them powered mainly with something like a 471 or 671 Detroit diesel.  I rarely see them with a gas engine, but that may be due to my area. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

NMFP

Yes, that is what i am seeing as well but due to the Natural Gas stuff happening in this area, anything diesel is the price of gold!!  Looking at trying to find something that is not in real high demand such as automotive engines if possible but always looking for options.  Thanks Ron!!
NMFP

sealark37

The current price of gasoline will take all of your profit from a day of sawing.  The 300 Ford will work, but you need to reduce the shaft speed to drive the saw mandrel at about 550-600 rpm.  The ideal arrangement is an SAE clutch with the appropriate size belt pulleys.  Ford made a governor that will fit your engine.  It was fitted to Ford engines that were used to power towed industrial machinery, like a leaf pickup blower.  Surplus diesel engines often come up on govdeals.com.  Most would need work to repair/adapt them to your mill.  If you go to the trouble and expense of adapting a gas engine, a good diesel will drop in your lap soon thereafter.  Regards, Clark

jimparamedic

I use a straight 6 250 chevy to power my mill it has a 50" blade. Now for the hard parts to think about. the first is how much money you can spend at one time.the gas engine is what I could afford. If I could I'd of installed electric but no 3 phase power close so thats out. I hope to switch to wood gas for my engine in the future instead of gasoline. I have had my mill for over 10 years now and I do not use a gov. I use my ears and eyes like the old timers did and some still do. You can use just about anything with alittle for thought. So for my 2 cents a 300-6 would work great.

captain_crunch

Dont have a pic but my belsaw was run by a ford 6 out of forklift with trans that had a reverser(johnson bar) so you have 4 gears in correct rotation
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

jim
Is that a working mill, or a storage area?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jimparamedic

older pic from when I first moved the mill to its presant location.At the time dry storage was at a premium and when you have a little girl restrooms are a must I now have an out house for the pot.

ladylake

A old diesel combine engine would work I think.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

NMFP,that 300 six will work but you'd be better off with a diesel,that 300 will eat you out of house and home.A big old diesel farm tractor,or even a highway tractor.If you can locate a business that refurbushes fire apparatus they usally have detroit diesels around from repowers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

NMFP if you have natural gas available, hook up that 300 six and pipe natural gas into it. Fairly simple to do, not very expensive. Not quite as much power as gasoline, but the thing will run just about forever.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dgdrls

NMFP,

I spoke with Jerry Albright at Fricko this past week about a new 00 mill or a used unit.
When the subject of a power plant came up he indicated a Detroit 4-71 would work well.
Jerry indicated about 100 HP or a bit more and even suggested a JD 90 HP diesel.

I believe a diesel would be your best bet.

good luck let us know how you make out.

DGDrls

davey duck

a 300 ford engine in a new holland combine is only 68hp.
David G.Fleming

Thank You Sponsors!