iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats the best way to mill with a WM-LT40

Started by Peder McElroy, November 18, 2011, 11:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder McElroy

Not new to milling,I have a Lucas 618 and Belsaw M24. But I am new to the bandsaw's. What is the best way to cut logs on the Woodmizer ? into cants or slab them and then edge them. My logs are mostly 18" to 20" in size.
Any information would sure help. Thanks Peder

zopi

Depends on what you are sawing for, grade sawing, you want the widest, cleares boards you can get, so you take the slabs and flitches, aiming to take the tension out if needed, get to a cant and saw the best face with each cut...or through amd through, which, if you have an edger and are not worried about grade can be pretty quick...it is alot of extra work to edge on the mill, so it may not be the best way...if I am just knocking 2x4 or 2x6 out of a log, Sometimes I just cut two inch slabs and sort them by width, then saw the final size out of the slabs paired by width...not the most efficient, but sometimes the easiest...
By and large though, bust em to cants, either of a specific size for the final size of lumber or as big as you can get for wide boards.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer comes with a lot of documentation – including sawing instructions.  They have a series of DVDs available too.  Also, training by Wood-Mizer is available.  Did you buy the mill new?

What zopi said, how you approach milling the log depends a lot on what you're trying to produce out of it.  Sawing specific dimension lumber such as 2x6s takes one approach, sawing for "grade" takes another, quarter sawing another,  making beams another, and so on. 

How you approach sawing depends a lot of how much support equipment you have (loaders, edger, etc.), how much labor you have available, how much room to maneuver and store things, etc.

If you can connect to the YouTube web site, there are hundreds of videos showing people sawing on Wood-Mizers and other bandmills.

Let me try this.

The last three logs I sawed were for a customer wanting 1" boxing material out of two logs and 2x6s out of the third.

The first log was about 14" or a little bigger on the little end.  I figured it would make a majority of 10" wide boards if I just squared it down and sawed "through and through".  I put it on the mill and took off a slab and one flitch.  Turned and did the same on the second face and so on until I had a flitch 10" wide by as tall as 1" increments would make.  Then I started sawing making 1x10s until done.  Then, because I have an edger,   I edged the flitches to 1x6s, 1x8s.

The second log was a couple of inches bigger than the first so I figured I could make a majority of 12" wide boards.  So I approached it the same as above except ended up with a 12" wide flitch that I sawed all the way to the bed.

The third log was about 18" on the little end.  My target was 6" wide by 2" thick (in this case I sawed the lumber 1-5/8" thick).   So I made a 6" wide opening face taking off the slab, turned did the same all the way around.  Now...  Because I have the Accuset option,  I programmed to take 1-5/8" drops down to 6" on one program set and 1-5/8" all the way down on another.  I would saw a flitch from one face and then flip 180 to saw one from the opposite (thus equalizing the stress on the log) until I had a flitch 6" wide with the heart (pith) centered. 

I then edged the flitchs on the mill (due to the size and weight I didn't want to use the edger).  I left the cant on the mill and would place a flitch up against it and edge it to 6" wide for the two outer most flithces,  the inner flitchs were wide enough to make two 6" wide boards. 

I then turned the remaining cant (6" wide) up on the mill and sawed all the way to the bed.  I made a total of 17 2x6s out of that log.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Peder McElroy

The Wood-mizer is a 1997 I got from a neighbor who didn't use it and it sat for 6 years under tarps in the weather. I have worked for a week to get it running with the help of other Forum folks. Fuel system was a mess and alot of rust everywhere, but it's up and running now.
Thanks for the help.
Peder

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill Peder!

There are lots of LT40 videos here on the Forestry Forum as well as lots of people anxiously waiting for questions.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooney

If you haven't already, give our customer service guys a call at 800.525.8100. They'd be happy to get you going in the right direction or maybe even give you a name of an owner in your area that can get together with you and do some coaching. :)

My extended family all lives in Capitola and Santa Cruz, so next time I visit, I'll have to make a personal visit by your place!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!