iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help on materials list to start a Linn mill

Started by Berggie, November 18, 2011, 07:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berggie

Hi, everyone. This is my very first post here, I was bit by the bug to have my own mill. I ordered the Linn plans and dvd earlier this week and thought I would receive the material today but it did not arrive. I would like to go to the steel yard tomorrow morning and pick up material for the head unit only for now.
Can some one that built a Linn mill help me out this evening.
Home built/modified Linn 1900, Dolmar saw, farmall H with loader. Log rite.

hackberry jake

Can't help on the mill, but welcome to the ff Berggie
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Berggie

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Dont know anything about your plans for that mill. Just take them with you or make a list so the metal place can help you with the right sizes. Some square tubing fits inside of larger tubing real well when you turn it just right. This is good if you have a four post system. Good luck, bg

jueston

welcome to the forum, its good to have another mn member.

sorry i can't be of any help on that mill, but with all the expertise on this forum someone will surely know....

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kevinlt15

Welcome Aboard Berggie. Acouple of years ago I bought those plans too with the video(as by my handel I didn't build one ) did you get the video too?  Iam  close to  A newby but my opinion would be wait for the plans they are nice and detailed.

my two cents :D
                                          kevin

Berggie

Thanks for all the welcomes.
I did get the video and plans, I just wish they would have arrived in the mail today since I have time in the morning to get the steel. I will have to wait and go next week sometime.

redbeard

Welcome Berrgie. Linn is a nice mill did you get the one with the wide cut capacity? and don't be afraid to spend a little extra to get plenty of track length. If your going to be stationary you can add a dedicated slabber head rig to come from the other end. Just a dream I have that I want to do someday. Good luck with your venture.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Berggie

I ordered the 1900 plans with 19" band wheels, 158" band blade, hydraulic blade
tensioning, 30" throat and 36" diameter log capacity. I am going to build it portable, I hope to add hydraulic loader and two plane clamp when I save some money for them.

thecfarm

Berggie, welcome to the forum.I have a manual mill that will cut a 20 foot log. I'm glad I did now. Much easier to put a 16 foot log on to a 20 foot bed. You have 4 feet to play with instead of a foot or less. Ever try to move a 16 foot log lengthwise on a mill with no hyds? It's not all that easy. May want to cut a 20 foot log,someday.
What's all the lumber going to be used for? Have trees of your own to cut? Equipment to get them out with? I suppose you been around a mill before.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Berggie

I and a few friend and family build furniture as a hobby. As far as logs I have some of my own woods and again so do friends, family and neighbors. I have been around a couple portable mills and was fascinated with the process. I love to build things so I thought it would be a great winter project when I am not ice fishing.
Eventually I am going to build a timber frame cabin and would like to cut my own beams and such.
For now I borrow my buddies skid steer to move and haul logs, I will try to cut most logs on site. I want to keep this as a hobby not as a business.

5quarter

Berggie...welcome. I too only cut for myself for quite awhile. eventually, the public will wear you down as people learn that you have a mill. At some point you will cut a couple logs for a neighbor. then another neighbor will come by something to cut, and you can't do for one and not the other.  eventually, a good portion of your week will be cutting for others. just telling you now so you're not surprised when it happens later. ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Berggie

I hear ya 5Quarter, hopefully I will still have some free time after that. :D

Berggie

Thanks for welcoming me, my plans came in the mail today  8) now I can go shopping.

kevinlt15

D._Frederick

If you will build the track with angle iron make sure that it is straight, hot roll iron specification allow for 20 ft. length to be off by over an inch.   

mikeb1079

Quoteeventually, the public will wear you down as people learn that you have a mill

this is so true.  the hardest thing i've had to learn since i built my mill like berggie's gonna do is how to nicely say no to people.  there's a steady stream of folks who want your time but if you're not a business and you don't have the time it can get a little tedious.  it's all good though.   8)  good luck with the build berggie.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

rs1626

My mill started out as a linn but got changed several times while building there should be some pics in my photo gallery 

Magicman

Berggie, I am of no help with your Linn, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Berggie

Thanks allot for the warm welcome people. I went to the steel yard today and got most of the pieces for the saw head frame from the cutoffs available. Going to pick up the major tubing tomorrow.

york

Berggie,you said,someday timber frame??make sure your rail steel is long enough,so you will not be adding on later-just my two cents,Bert
Albert

bandmiller2

Welcome Berggie,I built my own bandmill mostly out of what I had on hand my practical legnth limit is 14/15', should be longer. First thing slow down and think everything out well.Make everything adjustable,and as accurate as you can make it.Portability sounds like a great idea but most portable mills remain stationary.Ideal is a mill set up with a roof over its head and electric service.I built a two plain clamp and its all I use to turn and clamp.If you have hydraulics use them to do everything,feed ,turn ,clamp,and load.Humping one ton logs gets old fast.Theirs alot of old posts here about building a bandmill,or just ask. Good luck Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Berggie

Thanks Frank,
    I am thinking of a two plane clamp with a hydro motor to slide in and out on a chain drive. I am not positive on the dog yet, I have thought about a cylinder with a blade looking bit on top to bite the wood. I also have seen a hydro motor moving a bar up and down by chain, I would love to see what yours looks like and get your input. I also think I will use the clamp as the turner. I will build a loader to get logs on bed

eastberkshirecustoms

You mean something like this?

If you need spec's, let me know...EBC

Thank You Sponsors!