iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

disposable saws?

Started by old2stroke, November 18, 2011, 12:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old2stroke

A friend dropped off the engine from a toasted Poulan.  I'm not sure what model it is (just got the cylinder and crankcase) but according to my measurements it's a 38cc engine.  When I took it apart I found a piston with only one ring, a connecting rod that looked like it had just been punched out of some flat stock, and a cylinder bore with no sign of chrome plating.  What was more surprising was the transfer ports were formed by pressing steel inserts up from the bottom of the barrel and the inserts weren't even flush with the cylinder walls.  How far up the Poulan food chain do you have to go to get an engine that is designed to last for more than a few hours and are other manufacturers out there producing these "Christmas gift" saws?
Not too many saws.  Not enough storage space.

Al_Smith

They've just about all made less than well built saws .Poulan did make some good ones although for some reason they never get mentioned .

I'd say from my observation that a majority of these sized lower priced saws are not quality built tools .

Now while some of the more familiar brands of saws which have the reputation of quality and touted by the proud owners of same on forums are less than anticipated in the long haul .It's kind of like compairing a Cadillac to a Yugo .

Corley5

Friends of mine build log homes and use cheap Poulan saws from Walmart.  When one breaks they throw it in the dumpster and buy another.  Worked for them for years  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Al_Smith

Well yeah ,you can do that .Years ago on trim saw the trimmers would buy either a mini Mac or a Homelite xl super for about 100 bucks and maybe get two years out of it if that .The first time it layed down on them it got assigned to the shelf and they bought another .The cost of repairs exceeded the value of the saw .

As odd as it might sound in those days the Poulan s-25 was the best trim saw money  could buy .Strange perhaps to some but a majority of those models are still operational today including the two in my shed .One of them finally just a month ago after 35 years  needed carb rebuild .

fuzzybear

well it is a vacuum cleaner with a chain.  Poulan is now made by electro lux, a vacuum cleaner company.
I had my only saw go down a couple of years ago and was forced to buy a "wild thing" to finish out the orders I had. It ran good for a while then the oiler broke. I still use it for a stump saw.
Quote from: Corley5 on November 18, 2011, 08:12:30 AM
Friends of mine build log homes and use cheap Poulan saws from Walmart.  When one breaks they throw it in the dumpster and buy another.  Worked for them for years  :)
I have friends that do the same thing but with the Husqvarna 340. When the oiler breaks they toss it into a pile and buy a new one. The dealer wants $150 to replace the oiler, add $.54 a drive link for chain, and $90 for a new bar. Cheaper to buy a new disposable saw.
   Personally I buy quality saws and only buy a POS when I have no other option, then it becomes a slashing/stump saw until I kill it all together.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Al_Smith

Well there you go .Firstly in the Yukon most likely everything is sky high .

Even in the middle of the big corn field in Ohio you're going to shell out 50-60 bucks an hour at a dealer plus have parts marked up about twice what they're worth .In some cases ,Stihl you have no choice  .

Often times repairs are quoted from a "flat rate book " which in most times figures things pretty heavy in favor of the dealer .The price is  astounding for the owner who often just buys a new saw in it's stead and the dealer gets the old one by not charging for the trouble shooting .

The oldie ends up in the dead pile then guys like me pick them up for pennys and get them running for next to nothing .The dealer sold it for cash so he's happy ,I'm happy and the former owner never hears a peep about it .Fact he could care less unless his new saw quits on him .

beenthere

fuzzy
So a stump saw doesn't have to run well?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

islandlogger

I've really only had a one time experience with "Pulling on the Poulan" back in early 90's was helping a buddy log off his land, beutiful stand of big 2nd growth Dougs and Western Reds. I was mostly running my 044 and 066 but my buddy shows up one day with a Poulan he bought on sale at K-Mart or some such place, cant even remember what model it was and I must admit after I got done poking fun at him we tryed everything we could think of to see if we could kill that saw and be danged if it just kept on pulling chips! It was always harder then 'eck to start (pulling on the poulan!!) but once it fired off that little Green and Black machine was ready to go! We had a good time with it...my buddy got hurt shortly there after (massive brain trauma never was the same man) and had to sell everything to cover his medical bills, last I saw of that Poulan it was sold to a drunk cord wood cutter down the way...I think he finely managed to kill it after he forgot where he left his saws and dumped a truck load of wood on it and then let the pile of wood sit for the winter, kept claiming some one had ripped off his cool breeze Poulan....then he finely dealt with the wood pile when he was hurtin for beer money and found it. Think it's in his scrap heap some where...must be hard to be a saw eh?

islandlogger

shelbycharger400

bout a year ago, at a local saw dealer..  i was kinda feelin down tellin them i needed a carb kit for a few saws...havin an oddball tillotson rev c  carb in hand (early stihl with a 12 in bar)
chattin away.. tellin him whats in my fleet, parents fleet ect..   getting carb kits for 1970's saws ect
i tell him my 2 saws are late 70's early 80's, a deere 50v and a craftsman 917, 65cc saw, he says... dont get rid of them, run them til they die, then fix them if you can, run the oil a bit heavy in the gas.    He goes on to say, he makes most of his money off parts sales, but also says the older saws are more robust and last longer , it dosnt matter if its homeowner or a commercial tree faller, than the newer plastic saws... lol

fuzzybear

Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2011, 12:09:06 PM
fuzzy
Oh they still run, but the second it drops to -25c the oilers break on those cheep plastic gears.  I run them until the chain stretches to the point I have to take a couple of links out. By then the saw has pretty much had it.  In the falling area I keep the stumps at 12" above moss level. But then the moss is 2' thick. Forestry wants it that way. But on the trail I cut them at ground level. It really puts a hurting on the chain and saw. But then I only paid $100 for a saw that does only one job and lasts for about 3 years. Takes a strain off of my "real" saw.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Cut4fun

The 36cc 38cc 40cc  in the clam shell poulan I have had apart were pretty dang nice compared to crap in same homeowner stihl's rod 170 180 210.

See if I can find pics to compare.

Poulan top left side rod.

Stihl homeowner saws bottom

shelbycharger400

looks like a fine case of detonation on that stihl piston/rod!    One hammer blow..  possible straight gas ran in it.

it is definately sad that the pouland uses a H-beam rod ( think prostock v 8 motors use these, larger tho)
and stihl uses a straight forge? rod

all too common now ... a properly "cast" h beam rod will handle the stress vrs a forged thin rod.
surface area has to play in the equation

tcrew

Quote from: fuzzybear on November 18, 2011, 10:54:54 AM
well it is a vacuum cleaner with a chain.  Poulan is now made by electro lux, a vacuum cleaner company.
I had my only saw go down a couple of years ago and was forced to buy a "wild thing" to finish out the orders I had. It ran good for a while then the oiler broke. I still use it for a stump saw.
Quote from: Corley5 on November 18, 2011, 08:12:30 AM
I have friends that do the same thing but with the Husqvarna 340. When the oiler breaks they toss it into a pile and buy a new one. The dealer wants $150 to replace the oiler, add $.54 a drive link for chain, and $90 for a new bar. Cheaper to buy a new disposable saw.
   Personally I buy quality saws and only buy a POS when I have no other option, then it becomes a slashing/stump saw until I kill it all together.
FB
@ fuzzybear,, that vacuum company elxctrolux is actually owned by,,,,, Husky! Go figure. My pops been selling those vacuums for 50 years. So i guess those cheap poulans are close cousins of the famous Huskys... Hmmmm.
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

tcrew

Quote from: fuzzybear on November 18, 2011, 08:59:56 PM
Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2011, 12:09:06 PM
fuzzy
Oh they still run, but the second it drops to -25c the oilers break on those cheep plastic gears.  I run them until the chain stretches to the point I have to take a couple of links out. By then the saw has pretty much had it.  In the falling area I keep the stumps at 12" above moss level. But then the moss is 2' thick. Forestry wants it that way. But on the trail I cut them at ground level. It really puts a hurting on the chain and saw. But then I only paid $100 for a saw that does only one job and lasts for about 3 years. Takes a strain off of my "real" saw.
FB
3 years of use from a $100 saw??? thats exactally what i got out of my new bought Stihl MS250! and it was not $100.. And i said it b4, that it seems any new saw i buy takes a crap on me way sooner than every used saw i ever bought. Just seems backwards. But true.
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

tcrew

Quote from: islandlogger on November 18, 2011, 07:26:54 PM
I've really only had a one time experience with "Pulling on the Poulan" back in early 90's was helping a buddy log off his land, beutiful stand of big 2nd growth Dougs and Western Reds. I was mostly running my 044 and 066 but my buddy shows up one day with a Poulan he bought on sale at K-Mart or some such place, cant even remember what model it was and I must admit after I got done poking fun at him we tryed everything we could think of to see if we could kill that saw and be danged if it just kept on pulling chips! It was always harder then 'eck to start (pulling on the poulan!!) but once it fired off that little Green and Black machine was ready to go! We had a good time with it...my buddy got hurt shortly there after (massive brain trauma never was the same man) and had to sell everything to cover his medical bills, last I saw of that Poulan it was sold to a drunk cord wood cutter down the way...I think he finely managed to kill it after he forgot where he left his saws and dumped a truck load of wood on it and then let the pile of wood sit for the winter, kept claiming some one had ripped off his cool breeze Poulan....then he finely dealt with the wood pile when he was hurtin for beer money and found it. Think it's in his scrap heap some where...must be hard to be a saw eh?

islandlogger
Maybe its just me,but after my "Premium" saw blew its life after very light use, u are convincing me 2 just forget about all the orange and go the color of $ poulan green! if i could get 3 years out of a $100 saw for what ive paid over $400 for,then why buy Orange? Ive owned a wild thing 15 years ago,and maybe its time to go back. And shut down these ARROGANT dealers that dont deserve my money! I like ur story. Thanks for sharing...   

tcrew

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 18, 2011, 11:21:24 AM
Well there you go .Firstly in the Yukon most likely everything is sky high .

Even in the middle of the big corn field in Ohio you're going to shell out 50-60 bucks an hour at a dealer plus have parts marked up about twice what they're worth .In some cases ,Stihl you have no choice  .

Often times repairs are quoted from a "flat rate book " which in most times figures things pretty heavy in favor of the dealer .The price is  astounding for the owner who often just buys a new saw in it's stead and the dealer gets the old one by not charging for the trouble shooting .

The oldie ends up in the dead pile then guys like me pick them up for pennys and get them running for next to nothing .The dealer sold it for cash so he's happy ,I'm happy and the former owner never hears a peep about it .Fact he could care less unless his new saw quits on him .
Yeah,, thats what my stihl dealer tried to pull on me,, offered me the $24 in labor  to diagnose my saws problem(bad bearing),,and i told him in a polite way, NO thx. Ill fix it my self. Freaking arrogant dealers! Charge us twice what they should then insult the customer 2 boot. Im learning allot from all u,and GREATLY appreciate ur wisdom. 

SPIKER

I own 2 poulans a 18 yr old wild thing (might be a 96 give or take a year paid 109 at wally world) and a wood shark 14" bought when our kmart went under cira 2001 for 54 bucks close out (they had 3 of them setting there should have bought em all for that price.)   

well the wild thing was bought for a single task figuring to kill it quick & hard by cutting OLD railroad ties for a tie wall I was putting in.   cut probably 40+  ties to length and at odd angles as I made half round island along a parking area I dug out 5+feet deep into a hillside 100ft or so long.   i managed to eat a chain or two and the factory bar.   throwing sparks and drop it into a bucket of water to take the red out of the blade on several cuts :o   cut maybe 20 cord of wood in the last 15 yrs or so with it ran through a few Oregon Bars and a dozen chains maybe.   thought someone stole it (left it behind a wood pile out in the woods and was there over a year faded the plastic pretty bad.)   found it when I hit it with a machete clearing 18months of weeds off the wood pile. >:(   it was setting right where I left, ;(  dang thing was there choke still on and ignition switch still on still had gas.   started on 3rd pull old gas & all!!?!?!?! 8) :o   I do use fuel stabilizer and poulan oil with added fuel stabilizer.   worst thing for me has been shrinking gas caps due to ethanol. in our gas :-\

The 14" wood shark about the same punishment (brother and nephew have about killed it.)  it seems more powerful with the smaller bar.   Then I also have a Poulan Pro pole saw that wont run for c()*$& though I admit I have not tried to re-tune.   

I have re-tuned both above saws over the years slightly here & there.   My brother after seeing my wild thing fire up after setting out in the woods for a year bought one.   it has been all troubles  and is the 16" model but then they abuse there stuff by cutting dead rock elm probably 3 steps harder than a treated rail road tie with spikes still in them... ;)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

AdkStihl

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 18, 2011, 09:11:33 PM

This is from stuffing a rag or any other "piston stop" in the top of the cylinder to remove the clutch. If it were straight gassed, there would be score marks and material transfer on the piston eh !
The rings arent stuck either...... 8)
J.Miller Photography

Cut4fun

Quote from: AdkStihl on January 27, 2012, 08:19:47 PM

This is from stuffing a rag or any other "piston stop" in the top of the cylinder to remove the clutch. If it were straight gassed, there would be score marks and material transfer on the piston eh !
The rings arent stuck either...... 8)

:D :) duh no kidding, the pic came off the internet to show the cheap crap rod used in the plastic stihl series 170 180 210 compared to the rod in the 36cc 38cc 40cc poulan.  coocoo_clock

tcrew

The 36cc 38cc 40cc  in the clam shell poulan I have had apart were pretty dang nice compared to crap in same homeowner stihl's rod 170 180 210.

I know my 3 year old 250 Stihl rod is like the poulan, a i beam rod, not like the pic of the stihl solid rod .

Cut4fun

Quote from: tcrew on January 27, 2012, 09:51:39 PM

I know my 3 year old 250 Stihl rod is like the poulan, a i beam rod, not like the pic of the stihl solid rod .

yep the 230 and up is like the poulan or 250 and up. Not sure.  Thats why I stopped at 210.  ;)

Cutting Edge

I have seen both good and bad 'lil poulans.  Several I worked on for folks died because of the gas mix...some people just don't grasp the concept.  All that aside, I had several skeletons in a 5 gal. bucket.  I got hurt a couple years ago hurt_smiley, still am, and my wife knowing we were gonna need firewood for this winter, inquired about running a saw  :o and she was dead serious.  How many wives would go that far?  I think I gotta pretty good one. 8)

I hobbled to the barn one day and figured if anything I would try build her one outta the pile of parts in this bucket.  Nothing to loose, something to do.  Well after several hours of mixing and matching poulan/craftsman this-n-that I had her a saw.  Scrounged up a lil 12" bar from some ??? that fit, made a chain and give it a go.

HOLY SCHMITT :o :o :o...fellas, I dunno what parts are in this saw, but poulan needs the recipe.  The compression is 178, turns ungodly RPMS, and I did no porting, muffler gutting, nuthin.  I bought no parts...assembled from "junk".  I had to hot knife the plastics to get the block to fit in...but the bolt holes lined up...go figure

She came home and I presented her with "mean greenie", chaps, and head gear.  She looked sceptical at first, but she knew I was proud of my creation.  Needless to say, I offered to buy her a new Husky for Christmas...she said "NO, I like my little saw...when it goes, you can rebuild it for me."  Again, how many wives are like this?  Due to the compression she has to start in on the ground, standing on it :D  Her only complaint!  She has learned quickly, and is a very good/safe operator...she even drops a few trees now!  I think she may have the bug.  I like the little poulans...but like anything, I believe its all in how its treated! No point in bragging on the saw when the wife is the real prize!

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

lumberjack48

I got-en Ole girl that cut-en skid 60+ row-cut pine trees a day and tend bar at night after i got hurt. She was using a 034 Stihl. When i think back on this, it was a scary time, you do what you have to, to get by.

Yes you have a good 1, tell her this Ole lumberjack is proud of her.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

hamish

Honestly what do you expect for less than $100.  Any chainsaw can be disposable in the right hands.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

huntindog1

I run an old Husky 44 since 1987. It was a rebuild job from a local small engine shop.

I needed a back up saw so I was looking and got one of the no name 52cc saws off of ebay.

I have heard people trash them but these no name knock off saws are pretty close clones and much more performance than the department store saws. Alot more saw for the money.

But I basically view them as a disposable unless I learn to fix them as no shops around here work on them.

Thank You Sponsors!