iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

660 Stihl

Started by midwestlogger, November 17, 2011, 07:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestlogger

Does anybody else have problems with the spark plug loosening up in threads and tearing the head up?
2-JD 440's, 2-W14 Case Wheel Loaders, 518 CAT cable skidder, JD 540D cable skidder 2-390XP, 2-660, 1130 gear drive homelite

T Welsh

midwestlogger,It can happen!I have only seen this once.A friends dad over tightens everything. and he did it to his lawn mower(aluminum head) and he stretched the threads so much that backed out all the time. My guess is the the threads are not in tolerance any more. Fix, Helicoil thread insert or a new jug. Before you go there,do you have the seal ring on the spark plug! I know, but never over look anything when troubleshooting a problem.keep us posted on the fix outcome. Tim

midwestlogger

not sure about the ring. never had plug out, saw is less than 3 months old. took to dealer he said new jug is the only fix. will fix myself but would like to know y it happend so i can fix prob!
2-JD 440's, 2-W14 Case Wheel Loaders, 518 CAT cable skidder, JD 540D cable skidder 2-390XP, 2-660, 1130 gear drive homelite

nmurph

I have repaired sparkplug threads using this kit. It will take a couple of hours including pulling the jug so that you don't end up with metal chips in the cylinder.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-M14-1-25-Fix-A-Thred-spark-plug-saver-kit-includes-3-pcs-insert-installer-tool-and-tap?itemIdentifier=141511

T Red

Isn't 3 months within the warranty period?  That's kinda messed up having to replace the jug so soon.

Tim

midwestlogger

ring was on, thanks for the advice tim. nmurph i will look into that part # . and t red 30 days is all the warranty i get, as a home owner tool u get 90 days but a pro gets 30 days ! thanks for the help .

Ianab

According to the Stihl web page the warranty should be 3 months for pro use, 1 year for home owner.

If you have never had the plug out then it would suggest a manufacturing fault.

Sure it's possible to over-torque a plug and damage the threads, or have them seize in place over time and lack of anti-seize.  But if the plugs has never been out???

Of course you might technically be out of the 3 month warranty as well, but I sure wouldn't be happy about replacing a cylinder on a 3 month old saw, assuming I hadn't messed it up myself. Then I'd be mad at myself...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

woodzy88

I have had a small saw that use to spit its plug out often just couldnt stay tight , couldn't find a reason but I used a helicoil thread repair and had no more problem. If the cylinder is in good condition just repair the thread with a helicoil kit its stronger than the original and a lot cheaper than a new cylinder.
woodzy88

T Welsh

midwestlogger, I did not realize this was a NEW saw,I would take it back and talk to the manager of the store you bought it at and have them call the Stihl rep in on this one. pro or homeowner this should not happen as Ianab said it sounds like a manufacturing defect to me and all my dealings with our dealer I had to escalate once,(new manager did not know me) Bought a new jug from Stihl and the exhaust hole was not drilled and tapped deep enough,I put it back on and found this out and knew it would strip out if I used it that way took it back and he said he could not do any thing about it.I went to the owner of the store and he called the rep in and they found its was 0.75 thousands to shallow,I had the old jug in the truck just in case they said it was fine,the rep measured it and said our mistake. the new manager got chewed out,the owner was happy,and I got a new jug. every time I go in the store now he drops what he is doing and waits on me personally. he,s a good guy,he just didnt understand that I knew more than he did about this problem and that I would push this until I got what I needed.Stihl is a good company and will stand behind there product,PUSH this issue farther than the guy at the front counter. Tim

Al_Smith

You make enough noise about it and back yourself up with documentaion they'll come through .Stihl does not like bad press .They don't like to admit they're wrong either but with egg on face they have to do something .At 3 months I'd say a complete new saw should be in order especially considering what that thing cost .

Clam77

My 362 (also a pro saw), came with a 1-year warranty, which was bumped up to 2 years by buying the HP Ultra mix with it. 

Unless the warranty gets lesser the bigger the saw you get, you might have gotten shafted on that saw you bought.  Either way, a GOOD dealer should help you out.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

midwestlogger

thanks to all on the advice !  looks like rain monday so i will go in and get to the bottom of the warranty issue. a call to the rep may be a good idea if store starts to back step .

Clam77

Ahh my mistake   ::) - after looking at the Stihl site again I see the difference.... the 1yr vs. 3mo is personal use vs professional use.

Any way you could get your dealer to believe the saw is for your own personal use - just a big firewood saw??   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

T Welsh

midwestlogger, As Al_Smith said, Stihl is a stand up company, If you explain to the dealer that the plug has never been touched  and still backs out after use,they should stand behind the saw,if the dealer backs away,go directly to Stihl and get them involved.I have to believe they would fix your problem,Stihl,s reputation has been built on quality and this is not quality. good luck,Tim

Al_Smith

Yeah in spite of how I'm critical about the Stihl corperation they are top of the line .In mass manufacturing though every so often one slips though the cracks and gets out in spite of good quality controll checks .

If you have dealer problems  just go over their heads .A dealer that won't back you up on an issue will just get egg on their face if repeated instances happen .You can hurt him a lot worse than they can hurt you .

My advice is play it fair but firm .That dealer will get the message unless they are a tad slow witted .

Cut4fun

Quote from: midwestlogger on November 17, 2011, 11:14:09 PM
ring was on, thanks for the advice tim. nmurph i will look into that part # . and t red 30 days is all the warranty i get, as a home owner tool u get 90 days but a pro gets 30 days ! thanks for the help .

30 days and 90 days is stihl warranty, OUCH?  I thought it was like 90 days and 1 year.

Right from stihl online

Current Models Chain Saws    Personal, Family or Household Use 1 year ,   Professional Use 3 months

Where I got it.  http://www.stihlusa.com/warranty.html

If you bought the 6pak oil it says double the time.  http://www.stihlusa.com/STIHLInc_Limited_Warranty1.11.pdf

midwestlogger

Good news !!! Stihl fixed the saw with a helicoil and within 8 hours of run time same prob ! Back to dealer, told them new head or new saw!!! After a few calls to complain and the dealer had found out i got 2 new 390xp's he droped off a new 660 ! Dealer told me that stihl is getting very sticky on what they warranty . He said without them saying yes to fix he may have to eat the repairs . I told him that i can buy a saw anywhere but service after the sale is the big thing to me.

T Welsh

midwestlogger, Good story,Good out come 8). regardless of brand name,that should not have happened.Tim

Thank You Sponsors!