iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apologies to Cookssaw, and a rant

Started by Nomad, November 16, 2011, 09:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Folks, please excuse the rambling but I'm a bit aggravated. 

I got in on the generous offer from Cooks for a couple of blades to try.  Got the blades a couple of days ago and was looking for a job to try them out.  Had a job today to slice up one good size sycamore log for a guy I've never heard of before; and he swore up and down there was no metal in the tree.  Figured that would be a good log to try out the SuperSharp on.  Nice size log; about 32" x 16'. 

Got the log loaded on my mill and second cut; ZZINGG!  Cut a 12p nail.  Not a very good chance to review a SuperSharp. 

Now here comes the rant.  I started cussin' a bit and the owner of the tree asked what's wrong?  I said I just hit metal.  He said "that isn't possible; there's no metal in that log."  I dug the rest of the nail out of the log and the SOB gave me the evil eye and asked "How could that get there?"  I explained it's not uncommon, but he was pretty much accusing me of putting it there!

I decided to keep using the same blade to give it a bit more review.  To it's credit, it didn't do too bad even after hitting a nail.  I got a few more cuts from it; more than I expected.  Wasn't perfect; a bit rough and a little wavy, but not all that bad. 

A few cuts later I got ZZINGG !  ZZIN..  ZZ...  I'd hit a cluster of 12p nails.  After that I changed the band 'cause I didn't have a blade anymore; just a band with a bunch of little bumps on it.  And the owner of the log again said "that isn't possible; there was no metal in that log.

By now I had this guy figured out, but I don't give up real easy.  I put another blade on and got about 3 more cuts.  ZZINGG.  Hit a good size piece this time and trashed a blade right off the bat.  Again I got the "That isn't possible; there's no metal in this log."  He was actually accusing me of spiking the log to get more money from him!

I said "Tell you what.  You keep your money AND your log."  I rolled it off the mill and ate the lost bands.

Before I left I rolled the cant up onto a couple of pieces of scrap so he could cut it into curb chunks with a chainsaw.  That little kindness didn't cost me anything and it might make him think before he starts accusing the next guy of being a thief...  But I doubt it.  And he's got young kids; I wanted to make sure they didn't get hurt with it rolling over if they played on it.

To top it all off, the guy who was supposed to be taking pics got to expounding on the virtues of his camera over mine.  I pointed out that he didn't have his camera; he had mine; just take some pics.  After I'd dumped the cant back on the ground he said "When do you want me to take a picture?"

It ain't been a great day.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

zopi

Some days yer the windshield, some days yer the bug.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

eastberkshirecustoms

What a real jackass! I can't believe the nerve of some people. I would not have been so gracious.

r.man

I'm often amazed by people's depth of belief in something that has either been proven wrong or that they just can't know for sure. The proper answer for " What is the colour of that house in sight is " it's  such and such a colour on this side". He didn't think there was metal in the log but that belief should have ended with the first hit. I would hate to have to rely on his behavior around a serious incident.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

I have been told"There is no metal in that white oak"... and its probably a 100 years old... how would they know?   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

CHARLIE

Bill, do you have a metal detector?  It might be worth running one over a log before you slice into it.  Especially if it was a yard tree or a fenceline tree. Just a thought.

I'm glad you took the high road. That's class.  The customer needs to learn how to accept responsibility.  I wonder who will cut his logs next time.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kansas

I thought about going the metal detector route in times past for custom cut logs, and decided against it. The reason is this. If you run it over the log, and don't pick up anything, then hit something, you can't really charge the customer for hitting metal. If we cut predominately yard trees for ourselves, I would probably get one. I have had too many times that people told me they ran a metal detector over it, and we hit metal.

Chuck White

I think we've all been told one time or another that there isn't any metal in the log, and ended up hitting a nail, wire or worse!

One of those things that come with the territory.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Yes, the customer may say no metal,but when you do hit metal,the customer does not blame you for it.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

I'm with Kansas on the metal detector debate.  I'll use one on a log for myself, but if it's the customer's logs I feel it could be seen that I'm taking responsibility for any blade damage by having one along. 

This guy was aware that I charge for damaged bands.  I guess he figured I was "spiking" his log to pad my paycheck.  (I don't make any money on bands; I just don't lose as much.)  Maybe that was his first thought 'cause it's what he would've done.

Zopi, the "bug and windshield" comment came up several times later yesterday.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

I guess that is the first time that I have heard of a customer taking that attitude.  He would be #1 on my list.  That list of folks to never saw for again.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

If he was in that state of mind during the sawing, imagine his attitude when it came time to pay.  You did the right thing by walking away.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

terrifictimbersllc

I use metal detectors if the customer wants it.  They're paying hourly and its a tradeoff of scanning time vs blade charges.  I usually only charge $15 or less per blade damaged, they're paying for the slowdown anyway.   I say "it might help you make a decision" and if the detector doesn't sound off, I say "sounds clean, but it's not a guarantee".  I never feel like I'm taking responsibility for the metal.   

I think I would have asked that guy point blank "what are you suggesting?", and take it from there. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 17, 2011, 08:03:15 AM
I use metal detectors if the customer wants it.  They're paying hourly and its a tradeoff of scanning time vs blade charges.  I usually only charge $15 or less per blade damaged, they're paying for the slowdown anyway.   I say "it might help you make a decision" and if the detector doesn't sound off, I say "sounds clean, but it's not a guarantee".  I never feel like I'm taking responsibility for the metal.   

I agree!

I don't use or own a metal detector, but if I did, I would first explain to the customer that I'm checking for metal, and if I find some, we'll deal with it, but if I don't find any, I then would inform the customer that he is still responsible for any metal hit.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

CooksSaw

Nomad,

Sure hate to hear that happened.
I'll get you out another test blade so you can give the blade a real test.

James
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

Magicman

That is what I like about the high level of integrity that our Sponsors have.  Quite frankly, I was not at all surprised that Cook's would volunteer another blade.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quote from: CooksSaw on November 17, 2011, 09:56:35 AM
Nomad,

Sure hate to hear that happened.
I'll get you out another test blade so you can give the blade a real test.

James

James, I hadn't expected that.  I don't know what to say other than "thank you," so...  Thank You.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

CooksSaw

Glad to help a fellow sawyer.

Take care,
James
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

j rock

I do all my buss. with cooks. Can't fine any better.
whats fun? making saw dust!!

JP135

Quote from: r.man on November 16, 2011, 11:07:23 PM
I'm often amazed by people's depth of belief in something that has either been proven wrong or that they just can't know for sure.

My dad had a saying for people like that: "My mind's made up; don't confuse me with facts".

customsawyer

It is bad when you have a customer like that. It tends to be a learning opportunity.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Slingshot

Reminds me of an obnoxious neighbor my FIL had who wouldn't let a worker
step a foot across a property line while putting up a fence. The worker told
the neighbor,: "what makes this world such a fine place to live is that there
are so few people like you in it."

Thank You Sponsors!